Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

7 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Hired guns to try to prop up Woodson, and save face for hiring (and overpaying) for a "coach" that no one else wanted. The problem with that line of thinking is that Woodson still has to do the coaching - and IMO, it's a pretty tall task for Mikey. 

And even trying to overpay for the talent doesn't guarantee that the recruits will still come (Mullins, Haralson, McNeely, Dickenson, Fland, and the list goes on and on and on.)

Every team buys players. Who is Dickinson you are talking about because we never recruited him.

Also he got players like Renault, MM, Tucker, and a host of very good portal players. He also got a top 100 in state players in Sisley and there is no real proof that we missed out on Mullins.

42 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Every team buys players. Who is Dickinson you are talking about because we never recruited him.

Also he got players like Renault, MM, Tucker, and a host of very good portal players. He also got a top 100 in state players in Sisley and there is no real proof that we missed out on Mullins.

I posted this earlier, but he is very good on short recruitments (every player you mentioned above).  His strength is the portal, and he is very good at it which is very important in today's game.

However, IF we don't land Mullins and the only guy we get who we had a lot of contact with for an extended period in 2025 is Sisley, it's hard to deny there could be a real problem with his long term HS recruiting, which while less important than say 5 years ago, is still important in building a successful team. 

My guess is he has a successful enough year this year with the portal talent he brought in that he gets an extension until he decides to retire, my guess is he retires as IU coach in the next 4 years and doesn't get fired.  

The problem is we have top 5 money to throw at players, and are at least a top 10 program regarding resources. Given that we agree that “mercenaries” is the new norm, we should be able to expect at least top 10-15 results from this team.

So expecting a top 4 seed in the tournament should be a reasonable expectation. But “purgatory” as some others point out is us in as a 7-10 seed, maybe winning a game, and then people defending Woodson because of garbage reasons.

I’m not sure if there’s a coach in the country who has been paid as much as he has during his tenure, with the budget he has to buy his players, that has performed this badly. I at least can’t think of one.

2 hours ago, Juwan Moye said:

The problem is we have top 5 money to throw at players, and are at least a top 10 program regarding resources. Given that we agree that “mercenaries” is the new norm, we should be able to expect at least top 10-15 results from this team.

So expecting a top 4 seed in the tournament should be a reasonable expectation. But “purgatory” as some others point out is us in as a 7-10 seed, maybe winning a game, and then people defending Woodson because of garbage reasons.

I’m not sure if there’s a coach in the country who has been paid as much as he has during his tenure, with the budget he has to buy his players, that has performed this badly. I at least can’t think of one.

We have top 5 money and top 10 resources but do we have a top 10 coach?  

On 10/11/2024 at 8:49 AM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Coach Cig has IU freaking football at 6-0 but people claimed we couldn’t fire Woodson after three years because “it takes time to build a program.” 

Serious coaches can transform a program overnight in the portal/NIL era. Coach Cig and Woodson are 3 years apart in age but 30 years apart in energy. We’d be far better off putting all that basketball NIL toward the football team as long as Mike Woodson is around. Throw some of Woodson’s salary Coach Cig’s way too. 

Yes and no.  Coach Cig has a scalable model he’s developed for success.  He developed it over years in the game.  Woodson doesn’t have that, so it “takes time” to develop it.  Unfortunately doesn’t seem like he knows how to do it or even wants to do it.  :)

20 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Compete for the big ten championship.

Get a top 3 seed in the tournament 

Make a good run in the tournament 

Thank you.  I think that is reasonable based on what we think this roster should be.

31 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Yes and no.  Coach Cig has a scalable model he’s developed for success.  He developed it over years in the game.  Woodson doesn’t have that, so it “takes time” to develop it.  Unfortunately doesn’t seem like he knows how to do it or even wants to do it.  :)

Nor does he have time.  A coach his age has to already have it.

21 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Compete for the big ten championship.

Get a top 3 seed in the tournament 

Make a good run in the tournament 

I think this is reasonable, and I would add compete for or win the Big Ten tournament.  No reason to keep embarrassing ourselves almost every year in that event.

5 hours ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I think this is reasonable, and I would add compete for or win the Big Ten tournament.  No reason to keep embarrassing ourselves almost every year in that event.

I’m likely in the minority but I would rather see IU win the bigten tourney than the regular season.

2 reasons: 1) we’ve never won it which is crazy awful and 2) it would show us peaking at the right time

My source is from the athletic department says Braylon thinks Woodson is old and low energy and I can’t really argue. Plus UCONN is a better program. He just wants to get to the NBA not worried about working at Cook in 15 years.
Does Woodson really care though? It seems the new strategy which I hate is give him six million in the spring to buy a team. Wevwill see if it will work or not soon enough.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Not really every team that has big money does but alot don't have big money. I read minnesota lost a guy cause they could not pay him 200k in NIL. 200k in NIL for Woodson is chump change.

Does Woodson really care though? It seems the new strategy which I hate is give him six million in the spring to buy a team. Wevwill see if it will work or not soon enough.

I think it’s the winning strategy in todays era if you get guys focused on winning over their own agendas. Painter is the legitimately the only high level winner not doing this. We will, if we want, return a good guard core and maybe Reneau. Tucker, Maybe both Rice and Carlyle. Maybe Newton and Cupps.

I wish we would have gone 200% for D. Peterson or Maleek Thomas in retrospect with the Haralson/Mullins decisions. I actually would have preferred that anyway but I was happy with Haralson/Mullins as an alternative.

Transfer Portal will remain loaded with tons of options. Maybe we can even finally get P. Sandfort. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

On 10/12/2024 at 2:50 PM, Scotty R said:

He was the first to offer both Harrelson and Mullins so get your facts straight.

Purdue and IU offered Haralson the same however There was probably 12 schools that offered Mullins before IU.   Virginia Tech, Iowa and   Notre Dame being the high major teams that offered in July and August of 23 while IU offered in September.       IU definitely recruited the 3 IU kids early in the process so no one can question that but how hard they were really going for Mullins  could be in my opinion.    If they evaluated him as their top target earlier then maybe in my opinion this is wrapped up or wrapped up as much as it could be in this day and age of recruiting.   No one knows if he would have stayed committed once he blew up to 5 star status.   At the time of the offer Woodson was still recruiting higher SG heavily. Same with Sisley they were still recruiting PF just as heavy.   Haralson was his top priority recruit the whole time in the class of 25.    In the end it doesn’t matter what they did or didn’t do it’s in the past.   Mullins will either commit to IU or not.  Got to move on and keep the relationship up just in case he goes elsewhere and isn’t happy then you have the inside track on the transfer portal recruiting the next year 

On 10/12/2024 at 11:41 AM, go iu bb said:

This thread was in full swing during the spring and early summer. It's been quiet recently because there hasn't been anything new. I don't know that you're the one who should be calling people out since you were calling all season for Woodson to be fired and emailed Dolson about it multiple times. Even now you're not exactly positive as shown by this one from yesterday in another thread:

I'll never forget when this thread blew up and several posters lost their collective minds while Woody was golfing down at the F4 (during dead week) only to have him land 3 top 25 transfers within the next 10 days. Good times. 

18 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I'll never forget when this thread blew up and several posters lost their collective minds while Woody was golfing down at the F4 (during dead week) only to have him land 3 top 25 transfers within the next 10 days. Good times. 

This is a typical misleading post per usual. Kentucky for a decade and a half has always gotten top 5 recruiting classes and besides Cals first couple years they only won one championship. IU during that same tenure has had good recruits coming in . 

it’s coaching that will dictate where we go. With the kids coming in you’re going to need a coach that makes them gel. That takes a ton of time and commitment and if you’re being fair, Coach Woodson has had problem devoting that type of time. The question I have for our fanbase is that if this is the best talent he has/ bring in and if we just get to the sweet sixteen….. are we ok with that? 

23 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

This is a typical misleading post per usual. Kentucky for a decade and a half has always gotten top 5 recruiting classes and besides Cals first couple years they only won one championship. IU during that same tenure has had good recruits coming in . 

it’s coaching that will dictate where we go. With the kids coming in you’re going to need a coach that makes them gel. That takes a ton of time and commitment and if you’re being fair, Coach Woodson has had problem devoting that type of time. The question I have for our fanbase is that if this is the best talent he has/ bring in and if we just get to the sweet sixteen….. are we ok with that? 

Not at all. Crean did it twice - once with the #2 and #4 NBA picks on the team. It Woodson is going to be "the man" he has to step up and really do his job - not just tell us that he did it.