Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

3 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

Do you really think that Woodson would sit through that? He told a reporter "I'm not going to sit here and answer that question from you or the fans". I suspect he won't answer many "probing" questions from Dolson, either. He will stonewall, while wearing his teflon suit, and have Quinn on speed dial to get him out of any difficult conversations.

It's easier to say that to the media than it is your boss. 

18 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Would we move on from Woodson if Reneau and MgBako leave, even though they were offered top dollar by IU NIL?  Would losing Ware, Reneau, MgBako, and McNeeley be enough for Dolson to pull the plug?  

Waiting that long gets you a Holtman/Alford redemption tour type hire.  

I’d be mildly pleased with that for a few days only because I predicted that’s how dumb IU is that they’d likely do something like that. But once the gloating wears off…the pain sets in. Lol

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

It's not making the tournament in and of itself that is defined as success.  It's the first step to success.  If you come here saying you're competing for championships -- well you have to get in it to win it.  

So my expectations are pretty clear.  Depending on how bad it is when you start, first, get the program on a solid footing where your recruiting well in the state and region.  Then expand nationally to the big dogs.  Make the tournament every year.  Some years your out the first day.  Others you make the Sweet 16 or better.  But you have to make it.  And as you improve your program, the more often the Sweet 16 runs should be.  Then take that next step to the Elite 8 and after that I think "luck" play a big part.  This alone should put you in the Big10 picture.  

Where Crean failed was being consistent enough to make the tournament every year.  Had he been more consistent, he would have had more chances to the sweeet 16 and beyond.  

My reasons have always been mostly future related. Had we had a season in the tournament or near the bubble, and looked competent against good teams, with a win or two AND had a full recruiting class this wouldn’t be a conversation. The Auburn game was the first I had been able to attend since 2017. Within about 4 minutes it was clear we were playing a different game. There were signs too with the program. Anecdotal, but the first thing we (IU folks) noticed was that the area set aside for band was empty. Auburn? Full. The seats for our band opposite Auburns literally sat empty. It was embarrassing. Auburn people around us were really surprised and a little offended in a joking way (IU too good to bring the band). We heard the fight song once, over the speakers, during pregame. And we outnumbered them probably 3-1. Woody has completely squandered the goodwill and momentum TJD and JHS left him with. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It's easier to say that to the media than it is your boss. 

It would be fascinating to learn their dynamic. Do you think it’s a superior/subordinate relationship? Does CMW view him as a boss or an equal or even an obstacle? Does CMW report directly to QB in his mind? 

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In the strictest sense players aren't supposed to be contacted until they enter the portal but in the real world, all kinds of back channel contact goes on.  In part, the back channel talk may dictate if a player wants to portal or not.  If the early contacts are meh, he may decide he's actually better off to stay where he's at.

Yea I’ve taken the tampering to be the new “bag men” of this CBB iteration. I think it could be as simple as a HC taking a second in the hand shake line to let a player know he likes his game, all the way to shoe company reps making overtures. It’s the new dirty recruiting since paying in and of itself isn’t illegal. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

It was more Woodson day then senior day

That was my biggest take away.  I remember other coaches speaking for a modest amount of time, but the focus was on players and managers.  On Sunday Woodson sounded like he was giving some kind of acceptance speech.

1 hour ago, ISP said:

Hey ya'll, 

I've been abroad the past 10 days or so, just got back yesterday. Wanted to follow up on my previous bit about Trey, where he was planning on opening up his playing options at the end of the year. Suffice to say I was taken back by his announcement to return. Yesterday, I saw the person who gave me this info. Again, I will say that this person is legit and I know them well - zero reason to make up BS and has very close ties. They said that they were also shocked by the announcement, it was completely opposite of what he had been saying to his small circle most of the season. We both believe that at some point in the past week he was offered a substantial (like 2x) NIL package to stay at IU. As we know, IU's NIL for next year was substantially increased over the past 2 weeks. My person should get more official word from the family on what exactly went down and I will pass that along when I get it. 

IU bumped their NIL by 33%. But they have to overpay their already poor team by 50% to stay, meaning we then have less money in the portal than last year. In the mean time, I see other schools are possibly trying to bump theirs too.  

This should end well…

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In the strictest sense players aren't supposed to be contacted until they enter the portal but in the real world, all kinds of back channel contact goes on.  In part, the back channel talk may dictate if a player wants to portal or not.  If the early contacts are meh, he may decide he's actually better off to stay where he's at.

So this back channeling thing is the new cheating, that will go unchecked correct?  I can see Bill Self back channeling Liam "Hey do you really want to play in that inside out antiquated system Woody runs?"

2 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

That was my biggest take away.  I remember other coaches speaking for a modest amount of time, but the focus was on players and managers.  On Sunday Woodson sounded like he was giving some kind of acceptance speech.

Felt an awful lot more directed at Scott Dolson than anyone else (non-true fans also)...

"I am the head basketball coach here, understand that" [Scott].

I think Scott and Woody have an AD - Head Coach relationship. Don't know anything beyond what that usually entails. Maybe Scott admires Woody. Doubt Woody admires Scott. Just my opinion. 

I'm sure they can be cordial enough to have a BAU meeting.

Just now, Hoosier DaDa said:

So this back channeling thing is the new cheating, that will go unchecked correct?  I can see Bill Self back channeling Liam "Hey do you really want to play in that inside out antiquated system Woody runs?"

Back channeling has been going on forever.    AAU coaches or someone in families circle contacting other teams to gauge interest 

51 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

There are always P5 jobs open, and no matter which year we make a change there will be excellent candidates.

I don’t agree with this. Each year there are candidates. Every few years there are some excellent/elite candidates. Seems this could be a year for the latter and not just landing a candidate. 

38 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

I understand how badly you want Woodson gone. However at least be accurate in your criticism.

Neither Wisconsin or MSU is sub .500 in either conference or overall play.

What have they done their last 10 games?

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

It was more Woodson day then senior day

Sincere question:

Woodson was a pr*ck at Senior Day. His comments were vitriolic and snarky. But I truly wonder how real comments from Leal and Gallo were. By that I mean, is there any chance that Woodson whipped them up into those "pro-woody" speaches? It just seemed to me that there was a lot of overlap in both the words and the tones of their respective speeches. Maybe I'm just too suspicions, but given what's been going on with Buckner excusing his friend's laziness and lack of true effort, I have to wonder.

2 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I’m sorry everyone for making this comment.  No matter what happens in that meeting, MW will be back next year as our, like it or not!  I don’t like it myself but that is what is going to happen.  Also, I don’t know what the total infatuation with Dusty May is.  I’ve said this before and stand by it, I want to see more from Dusty May before we hire him as out next coach.  I still would rather have a proven P5 coach over him.  I definitely am not a Quinn Buckner supporter but I agree with him if he views Dusty May as possibly Archie Miller 2.0.  This program needs to get this hire right, and if we have another Archie Miller, it could set us back at least 10+ years and my life ain’t getting any shorter.  We need to start winning now and with a proven P5 coach.

This program had needed to get this hire right for the last 20 years, and yet, here we are. Sitting and waiting for next year is just another failure by the administration. Plain and simple.

3 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Diddly squat 

Exactly.

some people are ecstatic we won four straight but who the hell did we really beat teams that are playing poorly down the stretch.

I want to see what we do against Purdue, Illinois and other really good teams then I’ll say we’ve turned the corner or not.  my money is we get thumped like we have already this year.