Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

It isn't just Archie. There are dozens among dozens of coaches who have built programs at the lower levels because they have coached in no pressure situations and given the necessary time that have completely flopped at a higher level. 

That’s something folks are ignoring. He had zero pressure at FAU. He could take 5 years to slowly build because he had no pressure. How will he do at a school where the heat is on from day 1?

Just now, Chris007 said:

But he'll also get about 6 million to play with in NIL money

And potentially lots of spots! Or maybe not as many as there would have been if Woodson stays.

16 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Well $h!t. If IU is going to hire Dusty May, we aren't going to be able to track flights. We will have to get spotters on the Appalachian Trail, since he said he would walk to Bloomington from Florida for the job.

My wife will be on the trail in a couple of weeks. I could ask her to keep an eye open for him. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That’s something folks are ignoring. He had zero pressure at FAU. He could take 5 years to slowly build because he had no pressure. How will he do at a school where the heat is on from day 1?

Shaka Smart was a disaster at Texas. Same with John Groce at Illinois. Todd Lickliter was horrible at Iowa. It happens every coaching cycle. 

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

Well say what you will about Collins, but he has serious academic restrictions on who he can bring in.  Safe to say FAU has no such restrictions.  

While I agree that the academic expectations are there, it doesn't change the fact Collins has brought in more higher rated players more consistently to the Big Ten than Dusty has at FAU. Regardless what the academic restrictions might be, May has had more success with less talent (247 rated talent) than Collins.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would love to see a national breakdown of wins per NIL dollars spent.  

10 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Yeah this is certainly true. But based on FAU's historical standards May was an extreme positive outlier already in years 1-4. I don't think the argument that it took him a long time to get going holds much water. 

But when you know you're going to get 4-5 years and are in no pressure to win from day 1, it changes the entire dynamic of things. 

6 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Shaka Smart was a disaster at Texas. Same with John Groce at Illinois. Todd Lickliter was horrible at Iowa. It happens every coaching cycle. 

Shaka is the only one comparable to Dusty. John Groce's resume was putrid and Lickliter carried on what was already built at Butler.

And Shaka didn't meet expectations at Texas, but has it ROLLING at another high profile basketball school. 

15 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Davis is the only one with a chance to make the NBA and I don't think he's a surefire draft pick. Goldin doesn't have a game that translates to the next level. He's good around the rim offensively but not a great rim protector or rebounder for his size.

He's 7ft and crazy mobile. He can hang. 

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

All very true, but again it's going to be a part of the job he hasn't yet experieced.

How's he going to manage ego's of 4 and 5* players?

Does he sit a 5* freshman on a near 7 figure deal over an upperclassmen?

Can he get a bunch of highly touted kids to play in his system right away?

These are all legitimate concerns and issues May has yet to face. It's a huge reason why Archie failed.