Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

22 minutes ago, jumpshot53 said:

Well, Woody has his excuse for next year.  He's told us again and again that his players are young or were transfers from other schools.  It takes time to learn to play together and learn his system.   Next year with several new players, same thing will happen.  I just want to know how many idiots will think that makes sense.  There's no way next year won't be another crap show.

Well IF that happens, we know Woodson can't use the "I wish we had X all year... his injuries cost us" excuse next year. Of course I won't be around here to hear it... If Woodson comes back, I'm out... (and not "out" like the "celebrities leaving the country if XXXXX is elected president" out) - really out.

24 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

.....We can all agree that "something" definitely is going on behind the scenes. That "something", is what everyone is trying to assume, figure out or guess. You better believe coaches and players know or assume "something" as well. It just depends what the "something" is. If the plan IS to 100%, not retain Coach Woodson after this year, Dolson needs to 100% make sure he has his plan A and plan B locked in. 

I just don't want to waste valuable time being strung along and plan A falls through and plan B is too late and already hired. 

We are stuck with in the current situation and/or trying to hire a plan C or D. We been through this before. It can't happen again. JMO

Exactly. No plan B last time got us Woodson. Let's not do that again.

25 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Knights not king anymore.  

Even if Dusty were as sentimental as some on the board imagine, it still wouldn’t matter. His wife, attorney, agent, financial advisor, and any informal advisors won’t be that sentimental.  They’ll make him see how silly it is to turn down real bona fide offers to make him a highly paid P5 coach at great programs is compared to waiting on a make believe offer of “maybe” from IU is. This is doubly true when 1) IU still has a coach and 2) is repeatedly chasing Pearl.  

Nobody that cares about him will let him turn down a $20-30mil contract to maybe chase the ghost of Bobby Knight. 

Even if it means you have to live in Columbus or Louisville? :D :D :D

15 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

There is another possible scenario - farfetched IMO but possible nonetheless.  Dolson has locked up Pearl (or the coach to be named later) and told May the IU job is no longer open thus Dusty starts entertaining serious offers elsewhere.  Or, Dolson knows we're stuck with Woody for another year with no change at all possible and relayed the same message to May that the IU job is no longer open.

200w.gif

25 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Two thoughts:

1) It seems like May is the hot flavor of the month on the coaching carousel. Honest question: how often do those guys work out? My gut says they don't,  more often than not.

2) If key decision makers aren't on board with a coaching change yet, I'm not sure what else they need to see. In which case, every win makes it less likely, IMO.

It kind of depends on who the real "key decision makers" are... Dolson? I have some confidence. QB and his posse? Zero confidence.

@Chris007, in your experience and with your connections, who are the real "key decision makers"? How much rope has QB+ given Dolson with which he can hang himself?

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

IU doesn’t even have an opening. May can have a deal in principle before the tourney starts.  

Why wait and see if a fluke shot or bad draw knocks you out early if you are May? He’s time is now. 

Just like Matta, just like Stevens…nobody is waiting for IU.

Can have a deal in principle. But you don’t think Dolson and May have talked? They have known each other for years. May knows what’s happening at IU. And he can walk away from OSU for IU before he signs the actual contract. Which he won’t do until after FAU’s season is over. 

Trilly seems to think that Bruce Pearl's son being named coach in waiting is "the most important thing" to BP. 

Reading between the lines a bit based on some of the exact wording from Trilly, it sounds to me like Dolson is currently working through the pushback everyone has been anticipating. He mentioned getting people to "flip" ... this character in his Discord, who claims to be "a bit of a laughing stock" on HSN - goes by "backalleyguru" - says Pearl to IU is a done deal. He seems to just be blowing smoke though as Trilly could not confirm/wouldn't endorse what he said. That person is claiming Whitten is on board and if Trilly thinks she is not, then Trilly would be "flat out wrong" ... Trilly has not specifically addressed Whitten. The rest of the chat has been debating the whole BOT/QB angle, etc. When he says that BP would be "in line" to be the guy, I wonder how firm that is... 

It certainly would suck for Dusty to go to a conference foe. I completely agree he's unlikely to jump when we come calling down the road. But for me its tough to pass up a relatively sure thing, even when the alternate may be a home run. In 5-7 years, the Shrews timeline may look better. So much can happen in that time, it's impossible to account for the possibilities. What is clear IMO, is that IU would be instantly competitive next year with Bruce Pearl as coach. And that either Pearl or May would be better than year 4 of this staff. 

Thought: Rather than giving contract raises to already high paying contracts for winning games and making tournaments which that’s why a coach is given the original contract in the first place (paid for what is expected….when those things don’t happen decrease contract pay by a $1,000,000 million dollars.  Not just at IU but everywhere (and for all high level elite jobs).

37 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Well, between Zeke, Wittman, Woodson and Kitchel, here's their history as coaches... only Kitchel doesn't have a losing record in the NBA and College (he never coached)... take it for what it's worth... but I'd be hard-pressed to follow their collective recommendation for a coach with a winning record:

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 8.28.13 AM.png

I must have overslept. When did Isiah coach at the college level? I swear I don't remember that happening.

As for his NBA coaching career? I do remember when he took over the Pacers, it was after they sent Tony Davis to Toronto for the draft rights to Jonathon Bender, Rik Smits retired, and Mark Jackson decided "God told him to go play in Toronto (I think it was Toronto). Yet in his time rebuilding the team, one year they had the best record in the Eastern Conference leading up to the All-Star break, making him the coach of the East in the NBA All-Star game. Then Bird decided he hated him and hired his old buddy Carlisle.

3 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Trilly seems to think that Bruce Pearl's son being named coach in waiting is "the most important thing" to BP. 

Reading between the lines a bit based on some of the exact wording from Trilly, it sounds to me like Dolson is currently working through the pushback everyone has been anticipating. He mentioned getting people to "flip" ... this character in his Discord, who claims to be "a bit of a laughing stock" on HSN - goes by "backalleyguru" - says Pearl to IU is a done deal. He seems to just be blowing smoke though as Trilly could not confirm/wouldn't endorse what he said. That person is claiming Whitten is on board and if Trilly thinks she is not, then Trilly would be "flat out wrong" ... Trilly has not specifically addressed Whitten. The rest of the chat has been debating the whole BOT/QB angle, etc. When he says that BP would be "in line" to be the guy, I wonder how firm that is... 

It certainly would suck for Dusty to go to a conference foe. I completely agree he's unlikely to jump when we come calling down the road. But for me its tough to pass up a relatively sure thing, even when the alternate may be a home run. In 5-7 years, the Shrews timeline may look better. So much can happen in that time, it's impossible to account for the possibilities. What is clear IMO, is that IU would be instantly competitive next year with Bruce Pearl as coach. And that either Pearl or May would be better than year 4 of this staff. 

My friend that played for Bruce Pearl said this exact thing to me. It's why he is hesitant to think Bruce is coming to IU. 

7 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

It kind of depends on who the real "key decision makers" are... Dolson? I have some confidence. QB and his posse? Zero confidence.

@Chris007, in your experience and with your connections, who are the real "key decision makers"? How much rope has QB+ given Dolson with which he can hang himself?

I would think the big players are Dolson, Whitten, BoT with Buckner being the most powerful. I've heard the Simons are still in the corner of Woody. 

Sometimes I think Quinn doesn't really care as much as people think. I could see him saying Mike you should have done better. 

But I don't have that kind of access to know who the big players are or who the most powerful will be. 

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Well, 4-5 years is a lifetime in college baskeball... May could be a superstar coach or could flame out... same with Shrews or Schertz or the future flavor of the month ... we have to do something now to fix this mess... and if the mess gets fixed, the 4-5-7 years down the road will work itself out... but if we screw this up now, we're hosed for the future...

Is there really no pushback regarding BP’s history? I feel like previous administrations would call his past a deal breaker. 

36 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

So May wasn't the one you were talking about yesterday being a the backup that was good to go

Alford is probably the backup that’s always been a yes. There are several coaches I would take instead of Woodson.

pearl ,may,JR Holmes lol

2 minutes ago, spe317 said:

Is there really no pushback regarding BP’s history? I feel like previous administrations would call his past a deal breaker. 

Hopefully that's part of why they're the "previous administration".