Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

3 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

It will be for starter level players. Depth is harder.

Fans think the system is an issues more than most all recruits. Don’t have to trust my insight on that, read their interviews. You can say that is platitudes but they call it out a lot as a positive. 

We have TG ready to set the single season big ten record for assists for IU. He is a 3 and playing point. What PG looking to play next level wouldn’t love that? 

I don’t have to read interviews with recruits, I just have to review the list of commitments for the 2024 class.

And what if TG isn’t here next year? And even if he is, I don’t feel that is going to attract the talent needed at point. 

If you think the fans are bad this year, oh boy are you in for a surprise next year.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I actually enjoy reading his posts because I envision him as someone from within the program or connections to someone within the staff and then it gives me the vantage of how the inner circle is feeling.   I basically disagree with all of it, but there is always 2 sides to a coin so I like seeing The Woodson Advocate's opinion.  

Who are you talking about, there is no way he is part of the administration 

One thing I think would be interesting to hear from those who think Woodson should get another year is what the expectation should be for 24-25 if he returns? W/L, conference standing, NCAAs, etc. 

People may be talking past each other to some extent, with those advocating for another year simply having lesser standards for the program, thus the difference of opinion on Woodson's chances of "turning it around."

38 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

That I know we all want and for me, get the sure thing or wait and find it. No more chances. If you can’t, wait for it and keep working all next year to find that guy. What is one more year and who knows, maybe Woody surprises the majority and kills it next year

I am also of the mindset that we should not be taking more chances. That is why we both prefer Pearl if we could ever swing it (Dolson would certainly deserve a lot of credit as it seems pretty unlikely to happen in reality)... 

I also don't disagree it's possible Woody could have a rebound next year, but I think that Woody's version of killing it is likely a 2nd round blowout as we've seen when he had a program legend playing for him. When you say "what is one more year..." presumably in a year where we are not going to be winning a title (lol) that is where we diverge. I'd rather that "one more year" be spent with May trying to lay the foundation for a potentially long and successful tenure here rather than wait so Woody can get his 4 years while we try to find a "sure thing." That is where the point of Wright at Hofstra is really credible... because if UL or OSU land Dusty this offseason, and he recreates what he's already done at FAU, boy oh boy would we regret giving Woody this one more year. The timing makes sense to pull the trigger.

If Dusty, who is certainly also a risk in his own right, ends up not being successful and in 4 or 5 years we are back wanting to move on, we can just do what we basically did with Crean and wait 4 or 5 more years while we try to find a sure thing. After all, what is one more year and who knows, maybe Dusty will surprise people and kill it next year. 

Crean left after several B10 championships/NCAA appearances. To your point, maybe fans need to accept those results and reset their expectations. With this staff, we're not even meeting those expectations. Dusty offers hope of surpassing them.

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

So how did that work for us last year?  And I don't want that song and dance that having X and Gallo scared them off.  If the portal guards were that good they'd have jumped in a heartbeat knowing minutes were there for the taking.

Papaw is bringing the heat today.

1 hour ago, Tom White said:

Actually, I do post under my real name. If you want to know where I'm from, or my history, just look at my profile.

Now, it's your turn. Put up or shut up time.

I posted my emails to Dolson here and it has my full name on it. If this poster wants to know I live in Greenfield and went to high school at Knightstown. I graduated college from IU East. That is far as I go no SSN or bank accounts 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dan Hurley was less qualified/resume was not as good as Archie's. 

(ducks) 

Eh, different people will see it differently. I can definitely understand that POV. Think it depends what you value. 

Archie had a way higher profile track record - assistant at WKU, NC State, AZ State, Ohio State, And Arizona. Each stop 1-3 seasons starting in 2003. He was HC at Dayton for 6 years before IU hired him, with one E8 under his belt. 

Dan Hurley started in 1997 as an assistant at Rutgers and was fired after 4 years. He then built a HS powerhouse as a head coach for 9 years. 2 years as a HC at Wagner, first season went 13-17, second season improved to 25-6. Then he spent 6 years at URI and took them from the dumps to 25-10 and 26-8 seasons ending in the second round.

So he had 8 years of D1 coaching experience (17 years total as a HC) under his belt compared to Archie's 6. Archie went further in the postseason, but Hurley had a more proven track record as a HC and building/elevating programs. IMO

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It would be tantamount to a shoulder shrug.  Perception is everything and Dusty doesn't yet have that perception.  

Agree with what you’re saying. I care more about recruits perceptions though. A few tourney wins early, everyone is on board 

7 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I am also of the mindset that we should not be taking more chances. That is why we both prefer Pearl if we could ever swing it (Dolson would certainly deserve a lot of credit as it seems pretty unlikely to happen in reality)... 

My thoughts exactly. 

Pearl has succeeded everywhere. He won't coach forever, though, so he isn't the long, long term solution. But the chances of him NOT succeeding at IU are, IMO, much smaller than May. 

May could certainly be the next Coach K but he could also be the next Archie Miller and then we're back in this position again. Let Pearl come (if we can get him) get us back to prominence, let him retire, and then take a chance on an up and comer.

I feel our chances of success are much higher hiring Pearl or another proven P5er with where we are right now.

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

I posted my emails to Dolson here and it has my full name on it. If this poster wants to know I live in Greenfield and went to high school at Knightstown. I graduated college from IU East. That is far as I go no SSN or bank accounts 

Oh come on, what about your name and address and….maybe tease us with the last 4 of your social! Oh heck, Go ahead and toss in your preferred financial institution…and also your birthday, first dogs name and favorite color. 

all just because I’m curious of course…ignore the calls and texts from your bank later though, probably just spam. 

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

When I say why risk it, I am saying wait until next year and get another guy like Pearl locked up. Spend whole year on it. Don’t make the change period until you have that kind of guy. The extra year it takes, who cares.

I am not in agreement of hiring Dusty or anyone like him this year or next year. That is the disconnect I think when I say wait. 

Gotcha. I guess I'm wondering who you think we'd realistically be able to line up in that scenario? Oats?

Pearl's definitely not getting any younger... but that probably won't happen for a few reasons anyway 

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

You might want to work on your math skills as well as your posting style.

It's like a triple dog dare or jinx times infinity. Just can't be questioned at that point.