Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Maybe he can schedule a daily "nap time" with his blankie... schedule Quinn to come read him a story...

I was watching the pacers last night and Quinn actually brought up what an amazing job Josh Schertz is doing at ISU. He doesn’t usually talk about college basketball during the pacers games. If Quinn can see that maybe he can see Mike isn’t cut out for this or at least that’s what I’m hoping.

13 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

This is the part that eases a lot of my anxiety out of the gate with May. The pressure to win fast would be tremendous at IU. If he's able to add Johnell and Goldin (I think he has eligibility?) to a roster of Reneau, Mac, Trey, and Liam, you're off and running year 1. Add Sisley and Mullins for '25 and now all the sudden you have a few years of sustainability right from the start. Very intriguing.

In one of the games I was watching earlier this season, the analyst said that every player on FAU's roster could return next season. 

2 minutes ago, ISP said:

In one of the games I was watching earlier this season, the analyst said that every player on FAU's roster could return next season. 

Greenlee is the only one I'm not sure about, maybe Gaffney but everyone else can come back for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

So JHS doesn’t count? Bates was another top talent who left for personal reasons more than anything. Boogie Fland was down to the wire. Liam might not be a a true SG but is a 2/3 who can shoot well. 

Fans can say a lot of things but saying he can’t recruit or attract talent is not true. 

One of us will be way wrong in 3 months. I am very confident based on his ability to attract top guys that with tons of PT available, he will land top talent from portal which I would rather have than HS kid anyway for a guard position. 

You have confidence in Woody to get it done this offseason, that is fine. 

A lot of us, given the first three years on the job, do not. It has been 27 months since he landed a guard. 27. Liam is not a 2. If the staff thinks he is, oh boy.

I think IU will get some good portal additions no doubt, but Woody is sitting here in February saying our team is still getting to know each other. Why would that be different next year with the same if not more roster additions than this past year? That's not an excuse. It is BS.

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I was already on the May train but this just solidifies it. Maybe instead of getting Brad Stevens, we get the next Brad Stevens

I'm convinced. The one attribute we've missed with all of our coaches since Knight was that ability to not be stubborn and ask  "how can I get better".  Frankly this is the one quality that's missing in many professions.  

This thread is moving so fast, I love it!  I certainly can't keep up, so sorry if it's been mentioned.  Remember Mike Davis' final year at IU?  The heat was on him for sucking so bad that he called in sick for our home game against Steve Alford's Hawkeyes.  He said he was sick, but if your job is on the line are you calling in sick?  He was let go soon after 

Now Woody's done the same thing on the coaches show?  It's over!!  Hooray

Mid-majors that have made the Final 4 in the past 40 years. I would argue that of all these programs and their prior success, May's may be the most worthy. 

San Diego State (Brian Dutcher )

FAU (Dusty May)

Gonzaga (Mark Few)

Butler (Brad Stevens)

VCU (Shaka Smart)

George Mason (Jim Larranaga) 

Loyola-Chicago (Porter Moser)

Wichita State (Gregg Marshall)

Utah (Rick Majeris)

UMass (John Calipari)

UNLV (Jerry Tarkanian)

Memphis State (Dana Kirk) (happened to have Penny Hardaway)

Edited by ISP

Just now, ISP said:

Mid-majors that have made the Final 4 in the past 40 years. 

San Diego State (Brian Dutcher )

FAU (Dusty May)

Gonzaga (Mark Few)

George Mason (Jim Larranaga) 

Loyola-Chicago (Porter Moser)

Wichita State (Gregg Marshall)

Utah (Rick Majeris)

UMass (John Calipari)

UNLV (Jerry Tarkanian)

Memphis State (Dana Kirk) (happened to have Penny Hardaway)

Forgot the masshole 

2 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

His style of play isn’t going to bring in top end talent? What? Now we are just making things up. 

Sure... What big time guard talent are we getting that it takes to succeed in college basketball? He had JHS. But one guy doesn't prove a point. He's just an outlier.

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Those fan voices do matter now. It used to be just noise

It’s still  just noise and fans voices still don’t matter.   If AD is making changes because some fans are mad then he is bad at his job and the program deserves to be bad 

After doing some research myself and reading through all of the excellent comments in this thread I am sold on Dusty May and I believe he would be very successful here….I’m not sold on the ISU coach, I’ve seen them play twice and just wasn’t that impressed!

7 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Zero debate with you on that. Not my point at all.

Many here don’t seem to understand the game is way different with social media and the portal. There is zero comparison to when Knight did his thing. 

Those fan voices do matter now. It used to be just noise. Guys can freely leave just as easy as they can come in. Trey and Leal have both touched on this. It is a problem. 

If we hire a Dusty type and he takes 3/4 years to get going, it will be a meltdown all over again. That snow balls to pressure on current players who can easily leave, recruits who are all over social media don’t want to jump into a fire. 

Yes, I know UK complains etc. again, they can afford to. They have an established coach, talent flocking in etc. doesn’t matter. When you are trying to build back to UK level, it matters.

If proper expectations are not set that this won’t happen over night. That if you want to build Kansas, UK, Purdue etc. that takes time. Woody or no Woody. 

That's why he must be hired now.  He can take his best players from FAU and win immediately.  

11 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

It’s still  just noise and fans voices still don’t matter.   If AD is making changes because some fans are mad then he is bad at his job and the program deserves to be bad 

I mean, are we sure that's not exactly where we've been for a while now?