Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm going to push back against the "Oh no; Kenny Payne!" take:

The role matters.

1. Kenny Payne has been an unmitigated disaster as a head coach.
  2. But when he was an assistant coach at UK, their hyper-critical fan base and their recruits thought he was flat-out awesome. 

I have no idea whether he will join Woody, but just because Payne wasn't good at one job doesn't mean he won't be excellent at a completely different job.

This is completely fair and may be his best possible position. I do pose this question though. Does his HC job at Louisville tarnish the credibility he had with recruits while at UK? 

1 minute ago, Kentuckysucks said:

That's the only way there's a change this season.  Dolson puts lofty expectations on for next season which Woody cannot meet and decides to retire.  They will not fire him.  Dolson hasn't issued a statement purely because his hands are tied for this year and he's not attaching his name to this flaming dumpster fire.

Right, but I think whether or not he meets these lofty expectations, surely they would frame it as a "retirement" next year too

10 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I do wonder if Dusty makes a few run of that would change the plan at IU. They can’t have another Brad Stevens situation. 

Good point. I hope, but doubt, the administration thinks in such clear terms...

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm going to push back against the "Oh no; Kenny Payne!" take:

The role matters.

1. Kenny Payne has been an unmitigated disaster as a head coach.
  2. But when he was an assistant coach at UK, their hyper-critical fan base and their recruits thought he was flat-out awesome. 

I have no idea whether he will join Woody, but just because Payne wasn't good at one job doesn't mean he won't be excellent at a completely different job.

100% correct. His record as a recruiter and big man developer at UK is unassailable. 

Purdue making a deep run in the NCAAT would substantially put additional heat on Woodson, as fan pressure would exponentially increase. That's a silver lining of Purdue having success this March.

If Woodson flames out in the NIT a week or 2 after defiantly telling fans "I've done my job" and then we fans watch Painter take Purdue to a Final 4, then yeah, that won't sit well with me. 

Those words may come back to bite him.

6 minutes ago, rcbowla said:

This is completely fair and may be his best possible position. I do pose this question though. Does his HC job at Louisville tarnish the credibility he had with recruits while at UK? 

I don't think so. 

However, I do very much think Payne's recent failures all but eliminate him as an addition to the staff for a coach on the hot seat such as Woody. "May be a good idea but it's definitely a bad look" is not something I would expect that Dolson is going to sign off on.

8 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

I greatly respect those of you that are clinging to the hope that a coaching change will be made at the end of this season. Despite all evidence pointing to Mike Woodson definitively coming back for the 2024-2025 season, you're still holding out. I admire and hope you end up proving to be prescient.

I am already at the acceptance stage of my grief and am attempting to convince myself that our returning players plus the massive NIL hammer IU can swing will help grab enough good portal players so that next season is enjoyable and then Woodson retires as Quinn Buckner's BOT run expires.

That's probably the smartest thing to do but we here at BTB have never been accused of being scholars. I of course is speaking for myself more than anyone else. 

Please stop with "it's the fans fault"! Nothing we write on this board will alter recruiting.  Contacting players on Twitter (X) is a no go, but ranting on a message board has zero effect on recruiting. 
Makes you all look foolish, regardless of who sees it. Go kick the dog or yell at the kids if you wish, but it's not changing anything. The decision has been made, get over it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I appreciate the DM's from people. I'm going to slow down my posting for a little bit. It was just becoming too much and now that we have nice weather I'm going to try to be outside a little more. He was just rubbing me the wrong way and bringing out a bad side in me. 

I have my own wife calling me a fair-weather fan also. She thinks he's an awful coach but wants him to get a 4th year since he's a nice old man. I've pulled all of my hair out already.  Go Hoosiers

YOU deserve to golf.  

30 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

What we need is a booster with FU money to give Dusty an NIL deal to stick at FAU one more year, so he can come next year.  Kind of a right of first refusal. 

A booster gave FU money now we're stuck with Woodson.

5 minutes ago, GoHoosiers24 said:

I'm there with ya man, but if Woody has a decent season next year, he will definitely be back for the 25/26 season. Talk about depressing. 

Random thought, but is Woody the worst coach we've had in the past 20-25 years? Argument could certainly be made. If I had to rank them from best to worst, it'd look something like:

• Coach Knight
  • Kelvin - Had we not shot ourselves in the ****, there'd be another banner or two hanging in Assembly Hall
  • Crean
  • Davis
  • Woody
  • Arch

Kind of shows what we all know, we are going backwards...

I don't think Woody, or really any on that list is terrible, but man are the mediocre enough to hang around.  That is the problem I think with the strategy we have had in hiring coaches.  Not sure if KathyC was real, had BOT sources, or was loony but she paints a picture many have alluded to regarding our admin.   That they are not the ones we want to pick our next coach.  

Is a coup possible?  I kid...

28 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Guys It’s all my fault.  I hit the trifecta - IU, Cubs and Bears.  I have lived a life of suckage surrounded by a few years of greatness.  Bad karma I guess. 

So it’s your fault our IU basketball team has sucked!  Please go root for Purdue!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, go iu bb said:

This has probably already been posted but negative media hasn't gone away yet. If IU hoped that the "leak" saying Woodson would be back would stop that, they were wrong. I expect we'll see more of this over the summer and fall. If he doesn't have a great season, it'll really explode.

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/2024/03/12/bob-knights-legacy-fails-iu-as-mike-woodson-keeps-coaching/72929876007/

Wow! That was pretty much a scathing synopsis of the time leading up to and including "the Buckner years". Who are these boosters? Are they the regular cast of characters - the Simons and the Cooks? Interesting that it takes money, but in my opinion, said boosters would not see less of a return on their investment by simply flushing said donations down the commode.

Unfortunately, it would appear that all of the fans clamoring for change has done nothing more than force the powers that be to circle the wagons.

Edited by RoncalliHoosier

1 minute ago, Schreckbagger said:

Makes you all look foolish, regardless of who sees it. Go kick the dog or yell at the kids if you wish, but it's not changing anything. The decision has been made, get over it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

Have you read other team's message boards?  A recruit better get thicker skin if he chooses his school based on message boards.  He should be in the gym practicing, not worrying about getting his feelings hurt by what someone says on social media.  God help the team that lands such a baby.

3 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Tell the Simons we're gonna need a bigger check.

I never understood why NGW was acting as if $6M is some mindblowingly unattainable number that other programs couldn't even dream of meeting or surpassing. It's a lot of money for sure but it's not like that makes us the Yankees with George Steinbrenner