Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, coonhounds said:

I will take dusty. I don't think Woodson can come back even if they want him to. The fans are toxic already for home games. Can't imagine another year of this what it would be like

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Is Dusty the guy who's going to be able to turn this around in 1-2 years instead of 3-4+? That's my only concern with him. I don't think IU has the appetite for a long rebuild. Need immediate momentum. Maybe he could provide that. 

23 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Why wouldn't you take that at IU? Yes it was a bit of a slow build, but presumably that would be quicker here with the portal, NIL, etc. After that, aside from a wonky COVID year, you can't ask for much better.

24 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Looks to me like he turned Auburn around in 3 years and hasn't missed an NCAA tournament outside of that point in time. 2 sweet 16s, an elite 8, and a Final Four.

I'll take those results at this point in time. 

image.thumb.png.2ffa67aef0acddc781b381f2f5617fc8.png

24 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

So because it took him a whopping 3 years to be ranked in the top 10, at Auburn of all places, he's a no go? Wow.

Now do USI, Milwaukee, and Tennessee. 

I addressed it all in my 1st post. Combination of age (about to be 64), buyout ($17mil?), salary ($5.6 currently) for those same results discounting the often used he would do better at IU thought that has rarely if ever worked out. If he takes 3 years to turn things around he's 67 at the end of that season and we're right back here again.

If the belief is that he'd turn it around immediately and we'd be starting off at his 4 season, obviously I'd be ecstatic with those results but that wasn't the premise of my post. 

The combination of those 3 things plus the time he took to turn things around at his current stop just seems like a recipe for disaster, but its not my money and not my decision. It would have to be better than Woodson. I'd rather pay a lesser buyout (10-12m) for a younger guy (49) and the same salary required for Nate Oats all day every day.

27 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mick Cronin is getting a lot of talk on other sites like Peegs. He's unhappy at UCLA because of their NIL program is rumored to be a candidate at UL & OSU.

I prefer Dusty myself but Mick is interesting

Outside of 1 NCAA run, what has May accomplished? He feels like Archie but good offense and bad defense. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Dusty excites me too. Younger, Indiana guy, hoosier native, rumored to really want the job too. He too changed the culture at FAU. What's impressive is he was able to keep his team together after last years run. Almost impossible to do in the transfer/NIL era. He's 1B for me. Just not as proven as Bruce to be 1A. 

Yeah, I'm firmly in the Dusty crowd. I like some others, but he feels like the ready made first choice. When Dusty turned down bigger jobs last year it was reported that he didn't care much about the money. For the same price as Oats' buyout, we could double Dusty's pay and have the largest assistant pool in the country. 

I don't think people realize how much work it takes to get where he is as a manager. You don't get to where he is by accident. Beyond that, I love that he's young, everyone has incredible things to say about him, that his players are loyal to him to the point of turning down thousands of dollars in NIL money to stay. That speaks volumes about him as a coach and a man. Lots of things have changed in the NIL era, but you still have to build a team and keep them together and the portal should be used to plug gaps. It's one thing ti do that and keep your team together at Duke or Purdue or MSU, but he did it at FAU. He built his program from nothing. I love that every interview about him mentions how he is just obsessive about basketball, always learning. He changes and adapts. His system works and is fun to watch. And lastly, sue me but I like having an IU guy. He understands and appreciates what makes this place and this state special. He loves IU for the same reasons I do, and I appreciate that in the leader of the program.

4 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

TJ Otzelberger 

Nothing here stands out good or bad IMO.  Not sure he checks all the boxes but has had a decent run at Iowa State.  His conference records are not great though outside of this year. 

2 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I addressed it all in my 1st post. Combination of age (about to be 64), buyout ($17mil?), salary ($5.6 currently) for those same results discounting the often used he would do better at IU thought that has rarely if ever worked out. If he takes 3 years to turn things around he's 67 at the end of that season and we're right back here again.

If the belief is that he'd turn it around immediately and we'd be starting off at his 4 season, obviously I'd be ecstatic with those results but that wasn't the premise of my post. 

The combination of those 3 things plus the time he took to turn things around at his current stop just seems like a recipe for disaster, but its not my money and not my decision. It would have to be better than Woodson. I'd rather pay a lesser buyout (10-12m) for a younger guy (49) and the same salary required for Nate Oats all day every day.

One note... his buyout is actually 8 million, not 17. Trilly clarified that this morning I believe. 

41 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Looks to me like he turned Auburn around in 3 years and hasn't missed an NCAA tournament outside of that point in time. 2 sweet 16s, an elite 8, and a Final Four.

I'll take those results at this point in time. 

image.thumb.png.2ffa67aef0acddc781b381f2f5617fc8.png

Do you (anyone) know/remember what happen during the 2020-21 and 2016-17 seasons for Pearl? 

Did they mail it in since they were ineligible in 2021?

Looks like some forfeits/missing games in 2017?

1 minute ago, 68Hoosier said:

Nothing here stands out good or bad IMO.  Not sure he checks all the boxes but has had a decent run at Iowa State.  His conference records are not great though outside of this year. 

He took over an Iowa Stare team that literally went 2-22 (0-18 in the Big 12) and had them in the Sweet 16 year one. Year two he was .500 in conference (with another NCAA Appearance), and Year 3 they are Top 10 in the country. Also wildly successful (and quickly) at SDSU. The UNLV stint wasn't great, admittedly. That's my biggest concern.

Just now, cybergates said:

Do you (anyone) know/remember what happen during the 2020-21 and 2016-17 seasons for Pearl? 

Did they mail it in since they were ineligible in 2021?

Looks like some forfeits/missing games in 2017?

"Before Pearl's fourth season at Auburn, his associate head coach Chuck Person was arrested on charges of corruption and bribery.[30] Auburn elected to hold sophomores Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy out of games due to eligibility concerns raised over the FBI investigation.[31] Pearl was cited as being uncooperative with Auburn's internal investigation of the program at first, though school president Steven Leath and Pearl have since come to an understanding of expectations for the investigation.[32][33] Despite the scrutiny both internally and externally and losing two players due to the investigation, Pearl led the 2017–18 team to its best record since 1999 while winning the SEC regular season championship.[34] A player, Bryce Brown, credits the recent team success to Pearl's taking them to Italy to build team 'chemistry', opponent preparation by Pearl, and the head coach's strong belief in each player.[35]"

6 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

One note... his buyout is actually 8 million, not 17. Trilly clarified that this morning I believe. 

May makes 1.25 Mill, double it to 2.5M, you could put 5.5 million towards assistants before it would be more expensive than the buyout

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

I think Oats is the only one I have above him since he's a bit more proven at this stage.

I know it doesn't sound well coming off hiring "IU guy" Woodson, but if we're taking a mid-major "unproven" guy, I want Dusty May because of his love for IU on top of all his other accomplishments/credentials that can be compared to others (Schertz, TJ, etc.) Doesn't hurt that his buyout isn't killer either.

I agree. Nate Oats would be an absolute mega star at Indiana. 

He checks every single box. 

He wouldn’t even need to switch his suit jackets. 

6 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

He took over an Iowa Stare team that literally went 2-22 (0-18 in the Big 12) and had them in the Sweet 16 year one. Year two he was .500 in conference (with another NCAA Appearance), and Year 3 they are Top 10 in the country. Also wildly successful (and quickly) at SDSU. The UNLV stint wasn't great, admittedly. That's my biggest concern.

Wasn't saying anything good or bad.  Just nothing stood out as OMG he is great.