Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Mgbako Arrested, Paying Small Fine for Misdemeanor

13 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Two interesting things ... 

1) This thread has now reached 19 pages. 

2) A Taco Bell commercial just aired during the Phillies-Snakes game as I was typing this. 

Now, I'm starting to get hungry for a few crunchy tacos. They're very basic, but I love 'em -- especially with a little hot sauce. 

I mean, it's that time of the year everyone is hoping to get a free taco. 

14 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

I think the MM arrest was very "Johnny Law Junior look at me with a badge and a gun and a GED". Who arrests a kid in a Taco Bell parking lot? An amped-up cop looking to put a notch in his belt, that's who. MM wasn't drinking, wasn't on drugs, ordered food, and didn't get it. On homecoming weekend. Give me a break...go find something better to do with your time than give out seat belt, jay walking and loitering tickets. I'm from a small Indiana town and our local-yokal cops pull crap like this all the time. They look for kids to bust and a basketball player is a prize. What a waste of time. I'd feel the same way if it were a Purdue player for what it's worth. 

Same. And for what it’s worth I did have Trevion’s back when he got unruly over a basket of fries. 

16 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

I genuinely have no idea what you are saying.

if I am reading it right at all - I don’t have “a side” - that line of thinking and entrenched tribalism is nauseating to me. I try to see logic in everything. Not a belief system. 

I am at the point where I am just going to stop on this because a few don’t want to see any alternative to their beliefs.

@Chris007 - yeah,the police thing is more that they are to protect in serve all (including MM) and they seemed to escalate it.

I agree, my real issue is those who can’t see anyway possible this Taco Bell staff couldn’t have embellished a ton. Again, I had a very similar situation today with a rental car place (and no IndyResident, couldn’t really walk away in this scenario) where if they decided to call the cops and tell them I said all kinds of things, how they wanted me to leave, it would have went poorly.  Lucky I was able to quickly find and out but the employee was still going off. 

Sometimes retail and foodservice workers lose their ****. I used to be one, I get it. However, that doenst make them in the right. Then if you add in they closed early, lots of the public has had issues there etc. at some point the more logical thing is to believe they blew this up, cops didn’t see through it and MM was in shock, scared and  pissed. 

I don't think the police escalated anything.

They are called to diffuse a situation, which is what they did by giving him multiple opportunities to leave and call it a night.

MM chose not to leave.

46 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I don't think the police escalated anything.

They are called to diffuse a situation, which is what they did by giving him multiple opportunities to leave and call it a night.

MM chose not to leave.

But according to the police report, he did leave and went to another parking lot.  

38 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

But according to the police report, he did leave and went to another parking lot.  

When he left, how far away did he go?

Where did he go? Was it a private business?

If it was a private business, were they open? 

If I'm the cops sent there to diffuse a situation, and MM just drove next door, that doesn't really seem like "leaving" to me. 

Just now, AKHoosier said:

If I'm the cops sent there to diffuse a situation, and MM just drove next door, that doesn't really seem like "leaving" to me. 

Off the property is off the property. Unless there is a restraining order, that is far enough.

It doesn't matter if it was the parking lot of another business or if that business was closed. That only matters if that business also wants them off of their property but they'd have to ask that themselves.

How far is far enough for you? 2 businesses over? 5 businesses? 500 ft? 1000ft? 1/2 mile? 1 mile? 10 miles? And why would you or, in this case, the cops get to decide how far is far enough? It's pretty arbitrary. 

If they tell someone to leave the property and they step right over the property line so they're not on the property, that is complying even if they're still very close to the property. Without a court order, do cops have the authority to tell a person they have to go farther?

15 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Are you a cop AKHoosier? Asking for a friend.

43 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Maybe not.  But he did, in fact, leave the Taco Bell parking lot.  Sure, it could be viewed as a smart a$$ move.  But technically, you can no longer arrest for trespass at Taco Bell.  You'll need a complaint from the new property owner.   

Until he did….and then was arrested,
Tell your kid to come stand right here. Then they stand 2 feet from the spot. They being obedient or a smart aleck? That's the analogy I think of as everyone is arguing this particular point. Given nobody was hurt I'd say everyone can chill on the specifics. He at the least made bad choices and that's OK as long as you learn from them. People on here about to meet up at the monkey bars after school over something that will result in no charges or suspension.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Tell your kid to come stand right here. Then they stand 2 feet from the spot. They being obedient or a smart aleck? That's the analogy I think of as everyone is arguing this particular point. Given nobody was hurt I'd say everyone can chill on the specifics. He at the least made bad choices and that's OK as long as you learn from them. People on here about to meet up at the monkey bars after school over something that will result in no charges or suspension.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Being a smart aleck isn't illegal. 

3 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Maybe not.  But he did, in fact, leave the Taco Bell parking lot.  Sure, it could be viewed as a smart a$$ move.  But technically, you can no longer arrest for trespass at Taco Bell.  You'll need a complaint from the new property owner.   

You don’t need a complaint from the new property owner. It’s trespassing if he didn’t have the right to be there and at 2:30am I don’t think he was invited there.

4 hours ago, go iu bb said:

If they tell someone to leave the property and they step right over the property line so they're not on the property, that is complying even if they're still very close to the property. Without a court order, do cops have the authority to tell a person they have to go farther?

They absolutely do. That’s called loitering. That’s also a punishable crime. 

Again, only a stupid person would hang out next to the property from which they were just trespassed.