Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2023-24 IUBB ROSTER

13 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

He’s more a combo guard - i mean the 2 and 3 are largely the same on opposite sides of the floor, but Gallo often is on ball and helps orchestrate offense, and he tends to be our 3d leading assist guy. He’s a guard in my book

Hes been forced into that. It isn't where he belongs at all. He's a 3. Someone best making plays in the half court when the ball has been swung around and the defense is off balance. We've just not had any guards since he's been here past Johnson and JHS.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Hes been forced into that. It isn't where he belongs at all. He's a 3. Someone best making plays in the half court when the ball has been swung around and the defense is off balance. We've just not had any guards since he's been here past Johnson and JHS.

I don’t see it that way. If you have an OG that’s your more natural wing (what he became at the next level, even though he was a forward under Crean). Gallo has on ball vision, he helps run sets, he brings the ball up. All said the 2 and 3 are interchangeable, but it’s the on ball play and offense orchestrating role that Gallo brings that makes him a guard for me.

Bigger conversation is how the game has gone to non-positional play outside of the point. I’m a big Paul George fan (which anyone who knows me from HSN knows lol), his play this year has been really interesting, played a lot on ball / orchestrating the O, often the point, while playing wing, exceptional bball IQ, and while guarding the other teams’ best players. 
Gallo’s fine where he is. Add lengthy, athletic, 2-way players, he’ll shine right where he is.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Bigger conversation is how the game has gone to non-positional play outside of the point.

PG isn’t a real position either at the higher levels. You’re primary ballhandler and guy who initiated the offense can be any perimeter player even ones you would consider 3s or 4s.  Lebron and Luka are classic examples.  

The bottom line is that whomever the most talented player is will handle the ball if they’re capable. And if you have two small guys who are talented they’ll both handle the ball and initiate offense at times. That Miami team is a good example. Actually we were too when XJ was healthy. 

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

PG isn’t a real position either at the higher levels. You’re primary ballhandler and guy who initiated the offense can be any perimeter player even ones you would consider 3s or 4s.  Lebron and Luka are classic examples.  

The bottom line is that whomever the most talented player is will handle the ball if they’re capable. And if you have two small guys who are talented they’ll both handle the ball and initiate offense at times. That Miami team is a good example. Actually we were too when XJ was healthy. 

NBA point guards are still point guards for the most part. LeBron and Luka (neither of whom actually play the point) are extreme examples, they are two of the best in the League currently and likely all time. They're unique players. To go back to Paul George, he was largely running point because they were going to and did trade their point, then they went out and got Westbrook (which I still find ridiculous but it may work out) because they wanted a guy manning the point -- the primary on-ball player. The NBA is a lot more wide open for on-ball and non-positional play generally, but pg's are still mostly pg's.

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

Yeah I love this take. To me so often Point Guard just means Best Guard. The John Stockton model is really an anachronistic view of basketball, as is the old PG/SG/SF/PF/C designation that ruled for way too long. 

I think passing is still massively undervalued. Every player should see the floor and be able to set up a high percentage shot. No reason that is a skill that needs to be limited to the PG. 

Pretty sure I posted this before, but I still love it and feel like it helps to understand what’s going on in basketball. 

https://www.wired.com/2012/04/analytics-basketball/

So really in this discussion we’re looking for talented basketball players, not necessarily filling antiquated positions. Shoot, 5 out play can win against a good center and PF. Trayce was extraordinary this year because his game was an integral part of the perimeter game through passing. Purdue showed everyone what a POTY center means without perimeter play. 

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As far as Galloway is concerned, he can play 1-3 and has for us.  

Yea... I don't like it. I don't want him any higher than 4th on the list of ball handlers. We have to be in a rough spot. Why we need a guy like Caleb Love and for Cupps to be ready to give 10 minutes. If Gallo can stick to playing the 3, we are in a much better spot than him playing the 2. His biggest on defense was guys quicker than him, which got him into foul trouble. When we played UNC, he mainly played at the 3. I am fine with Gallo starting at the 3. Even if we got Battle. Ledlum would start over him though.

14 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yea... I don't like it. I don't want him any higher than 4th on the list of ball handlers. We have to be in a rough spot. Why we need a guy like Caleb Love and for Cupps to be ready to give 10 minutes. If Gallo can stick to playing the 3, we are in a much better spot than him playing the 2. His biggest on defense was guys quicker than him, which got him into foul trouble. When we played UNC, he mainly played at the 3. I am fine with Gallo starting at the 3. Even if we got Battle. Ledlum would start over him though.

Is Cupps any better than Gunn? Gunn couldn't see the floor this year. Cupps looks very small and slow compared to most big10 guards. Will he be able to create his own shot or will he be parked in a corner all the time like Kopp? Can he defend at the big10 level? 10 minutes a game doesn't sound like much...but it's a lot to ask. I would hope we aren't depending on a fringe top 100 prospect to come in and be a key contributor. Seems like that burned Purdue at the end of the season. Their guards just weren't good enough. 

7 minutes ago, normandale97 said:

Is Cupps any better than Gunn? Gunn couldn't see the floor this year. Cupps looks very small and slow compared to most big10 guards. Will he be able to create his own shot or will he be parked in a corner all the time like Kopp? Can he defend at the big10 level? 10 minutes a game doesn't sound like much...but it's a lot to ask. I would hope we aren't depending on a fringe top 100 prospect to come in and be a key contributor. Seems like that burned Purdue at the end of the season. Their guards just weren't good enough. 

Purdue also asked Braeden Smith the be the starting point guard and play 30ish minutes per game, that's an entire different ballgame then backing up XJ and playing 15ish mpg. 

Everything I've seen, and I'm not a huge follower of these guys in high school, indicates that Cupps is better then Smith. 

So if Smith can be the starting point guard on a team that wins the Big Ten regular season title, wins the BTT title and is a #1 seed, then I sew no reason why Cupps can't be a regular rotation player for IU and be a plus-contributor in 15mpg. 

I actually think we're under-selling Cupps. The kid can play. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Purdue also asked Braeden Smith the be the starting point guard and play 30ish minutes per game, that's an entire different ballgame then backing up XJ and playing 15ish mpg. 

Everything I've seen, and I'm not a huge follower of these guys in high school, indicates that Cupps is better then Smith. 

So if Smith can be the starting point guard on a team that wins the Big Ten regular season title, wins the BTT title and is a #1 seed, then I sew no reason why Cupps can't be a regular rotation player for IU and be a plus-contributor in 15mpg. 

I actually think we're under-selling Cupps. The kid can play. 

Full disclosure. I don't watch the recruits much either. IUBB fans typically oversell their recruits...which I'm sure most fanbases do. I just have a hard time believing he's going to come in more prepared than Gunn...and he couldn't get on the court. 

Just now, normandale97 said:

Full disclosure. I don't watch the recruits much either. IUBB fans typically oversell their recruits...which I'm sure most fanbases do. I just have a hard time believing he's going to come in more prepared than Gunn...and he couldn't get on the court. 

Why do you think he won't be more prepared then Gunn? Gunn came in pretty raw. Cupps is a coaches kid that has played extremely high level basketball on the AAU and high school circuit. 

Again, if Braeden Smith can do what he did, I see nothing in Cupps game that indicates he can't be a regular rotation contributor next season.