Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

10 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Which is why I don't get him rolling with the staff he has the last two seasons. His job (and life) would be much more enjoyable if he had a couple of assistants running things other than some of the inept guys who currently employs on the bench. Coach K, Paterno, etc may have coached well into their 70's but many of those guys were really out of the loop and more just figure heads. I get Woodson hasn't been around long enough to enjoy that reputation but I think we'd be in a much better shape with an actual X and O guy on the bench. 

And he ran two of them (Thad Matta and Dane Fife) off...

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Right and what I mean. His job would be so much easier if he actually hired an assistant that knew what he was doing. 

He had one and fired him.

4 minutes ago, Redleader said:

Turned out that guy was an idiot

And that assumption is being made based off the story put out by the people who ran him off.  The people we are all now discussing running off.

I would take Fife over Rosemond and Hunter every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Those two dudes are supposedly here for recruiting and all the big recruiting wins lately have come from Walsh.  Those guys haven't done **** since Dane was fired.

18 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The staff is there basically to just recruit. Yes one of them comes up with the game plan for each game but Woody listens to Wittman, Jim Todd, and Armon Hill about X & O's more than his assistants. We have more staff than almost any other program in CBB

They're killing it.

4 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

Thanks, hadn't heard any of this. Fully anticipating some serious roster turnover, either through pro ball and/or portal, that I didn't see Woodson having the legs to try and fill the roster at his age. He's talking some big aspirations of what he'd like to achieve as well, that I just don't see it. Either he or the next coach is going to have some serious work to do to fill out a competent roster for next season.

Don't envy he or whoever the coach is next season - sadly we posters and fans may have to suffer through an even worse year. Long way to go, but I haven't seen Woodson's ability to land 9+ players on the recruiting and portal like a Beard did at Ole Miss, which from what I see on the court in 2023-24, is going to be required to achieve the conference and national championships that he is talking about.

Will continue to watch and hope for better days, but it sucks being a IU basketball fan at the moment

If this is the case, then Woody was not the bridge.  He'd leave the program in worse shape than it was.  And then we rebuild, once again.  

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think that assumption has been proved by Fife still being out of coaching. Not one single head coach in all 350 Division I schools has hired him as an assistant. Pretty telling to me

I don't know what Fife has got going on.  I know he has a wife from Indiana who he uprooted (with young kids) from a longstanding gig with MSU to go to Bloomington.  Maybe he decided to take a moment before really attempting to get back into things.  Do you know if he is actively looking?  If he is being selective?  If he has had feelers put out to him and they just weren't a good fit?

Nobody wanted Mike Woodson either.  NBA or otherwise, based on that same measuring stick.  So who is the idiot bad coach?

4 hours ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Let's not forget that we also brought Thad Matta in to help Woody adjust to the college game and also brought in Fife as the heir apparent.

Both who are long gone, leaving some questionable assistants.  Makes you wonder.  

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't know what Fife has got going on.  I know he has a wife from Indiana who he uprooted (with young kids) from a longstanding gig with MSU to go to Bloomington.  Maybe he decided to take a moment before really attempting to get back into things.  Do you know if he is actively looking?  If he is being selective?  If he has had feelers put out to him and they just weren't a good fit?

Nobody wanted Mike Woodson either.  NBA or otherwise, based on that same measuring stick.  So who is the idiot bad coach?

Woodson was on staff for the Knicks when he came here. 

26 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

There's plenty of things about the program in its current state to complain about without completely making up narratives.

So you are saying Woody did nothing to make Fife or Matta leave?

https://playersbio.com/dane-fife-new-job-where-is-the-former-iu-assistant-coach-now/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/haunted-homecoming-dane-fife-lost-his-job-and-his-dream-indiana-hes-working-his-way-back-bench/bj3m2h66fmanszaswiaqbvcm

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Guys like Dalton begged us to tell him on Zoom how much we would pay him, then went to Tennessee and told them. They came up with more and he went there. As I have said two guards from the portal and one HS guard

Then we should tell him $1 billllllion dollars.  That way the other teams blow their NIL and we can get everyone else.  :)   

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Dane Fife did plenty to make Dane Fife leave. It's been discussed here a billion times.

Thad Matta got a frickin' head coaching job. Come on.

Edit: https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/a-year-at-iu-rekindled-thad-mattas-passion-to-coach/

Are we considering this ^^^ to be Woody "running him off"?

28 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And that assumption is being made based off the story put out by the people who ran him off.  The people we are all now discussing running off.

I would take Fife over Rosemond and Hunter every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Those two dudes are supposedly here for recruiting and all the big recruiting wins lately have come from Walsh.  Those guys haven't done **** since Dane was fired.

Where is Fife coaching now?

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Thad Matta got a frickin' head coaching job.

Then we can just assume that Goodman article is nonsense then because I don’t see how he could fail a physical here (what could a coach’s physical even entail?) and pass one for the Butler job. 

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

Yeah, the biggest concern/issue I have with the staff at this point is relying on XJ (coming off injury), Trey, Gunn, Cupps, Newton (coming off injury), Leal. There was no world in which that backcourt would get you past the S16 in the absolute best case scenario. Now we see that it likely won't even take us to the tournament at all. Many people here suspected that from the start, I was a bit more optimistic than others. Yes they tried and failed to bring in another guard, so it wasn't for lack of effort. But given all their access/intel/insight, it certainly looks like the better move would have been to mutually part ways with X (not convince him to take a 6th year and scare off starting quality guards). I won't beat up on X, others are already happy to do that, but this team just lacks true leadership and it's brutal to watch. How could the staff be SO wrong in their assessments? 

The fact they made such an egregious miscalculation, over such a prolonged period where they could have done something to address it, is what makes me feel like something needs to be figured out this offseason, not next. If it's not, recruiting will be super hard and we will be a dumpster fire when the next search is here. Unless this season miraculously turns around (nobody is holding their breath for that), then we're likely going into next year in really bad shape unless a change is made and someone can build momentum. 

If the season ends poorly and Woody insists on a 4th year, a lot of the love and "good will" from fans will be fully eroded. Subjecting the fan base to more of this basketball will not be good for anyone, Woody included. Taking the payout and leaving while you can still claim "Mission Accomplished" in terms of bridging the gap between the Knight era, recruiting at a high-level, and producing one of our GOAT big men is not a bad legacy for Woody to leave at all. If he makes the call himself and decides to enjoy his family, golfing, etc. then pop over to help the new guy every once in a blue moon... he would rightfully be beloved in Bloomington, I'm sure. 

As a fan trying to find reason for optimism... our obvious best case scenario would be Woody turning this season around, returning key guys and landing a great portal class then having a great year next year. Absent that happening, the best we can likely hope for is a mutual agreement that Woody retires and gets a cushy role in the admin. If neither of those things happen... it's going to be a very long next two years for IU basketball. 

Honestly, if a starting quality guard was afraid of X, then I'm not sure he was actually "starting quality."  Maybe it's the way these kids are raised today -- wanting guarantees.  To me you come in, beat the kid out, and play (as long as he's not the coach's kid).  Of all the starting guards on power 5 teams, seems like X would be the easiest to compete with.