Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IU Basketball News and Notes

18 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

2 in top ten

https://x.com/CBKReport/status/1810820355428093990?t=UOfhYDmmfObLrA9REnO36w&s=19

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Particularly nice to see Bako considered a top 10 soph, the guy who some wanted coming off the bench just bc he started slow as a frosh....

The new Adidas deal is almost done. Unless I'm misunderstanding something it doesn't look as good as the previous deal. 10 years, $54M for this deal versus 8 years, $53.6M from the previous deal. Unless there are ways to increase that amount, that's over $1M/year less.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-athletics-and-adidas-finalize-10-year-contract-extension/

21 hours ago, go iu bb said:

The new Adidas deal is almost done. Unless I'm misunderstanding something it doesn't look as good as the previous deal. 10 years, $54M for this deal versus 8 years, $53.6M from the previous deal. Unless there are ways to increase that amount, that's over $1M/year less.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-athletics-and-adidas-finalize-10-year-contract-extension/

We haven't exactly been a trustworthy investment, either.

On 7/13/2024 at 2:38 PM, go iu bb said:

Indy Star has an article explaining the deal. It's behind a pay wall. 

For subscribers

IU sticks with Adidas, takes less cash upfront in new deal. Here's why.

The IU logo is on the ball used in the Indiana Hoosiers playing against the North Carolina Tar Heels at Assembly Hall.

Indiana Athletics' new deal with Adidas reflects the shifting nature of these deals in the NIL era.

READ MORE

18 minutes ago, Demo said:

Absolutely worth your time. Dauster talking IU with Ant Wright. I’m a big fan of Ant. Knows what he’s watching, which is my highest compliment. Their roster eval and reasonable expectations for me are dead in the money.

The Bar is HIGHHHHH - and wholeheartedly agree with this breakdown, from both the of them —

and the big caveat, pun intended. Woodson can’t play B and Malik up front together as the dominant lineup on minutes. If he does then he will be the crappy coach he’s considered by many to be. If he doesn’t and uses this roster as it looks to be constructed and we’re shooting from the outside and showing different offensive schemes that match these players’ skill sets, then we’ll be winning and a lot of people will be very happy.

I really want to be in that second camp. I should be, we’re loaded.

20 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

The Bar is HIGHHHHH - and wholeheartedly agree with this breakdown, from both the of them —

and the big caveat, pun intended. Woodson can’t play B and Malik up front together as the dominant lineup on minutes. If he does then he will be the crappy coach he’s considered by many to be. If he doesn’t and uses this roster as it looks to be constructed and we’re shooting from the outside and showing different offensive schemes that match these players’ skill sets, then we’ll be winning and a lot of people will be very happy.

I really want to be in that second camp. I should be, we’re loaded.

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I see Ballo, Malik and Mack on the floor at the start of each half to the under 16, then rotating 2 of them through 4-5 to the under 4 and working matchups/fouls from the under 4. That creates rotation minutes for Goode on the wing and some niche time for Tucker or if he wants to do some stuff with 3 guards. It really is a ton of quality depth. Was playing around with a thought experiment last week and looking at every B1G roster 6-13 and what would happen if they played without their 1st 5’s and I think IU’s bench beats anyone in the conference by 10. It’s not even close. 

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I see Ballo, Malik and Mack on the floor at the start of each half to the under 16, then rotating 2 of them through 4-5 to the under 4 and working matchups/fouls from the under 4. That creates rotation minutes for Goode on the wing and some niche time for Tucker or if he wants to do some stuff with 3 guards. It really is a ton of quality depth. Was playing around with a thought experiment last week and looking at every B1G roster 6-13 and what would happen if they played without their 1st 5’s and I think IU’s bench beats anyone in the conference by 10. It’s not even close. 

IU has a second five of Gallo, Newton, Tucker,  Goode, and Hatton.

That’s a five star, an above average B1G starting guard, and one of the five best stand still shooters in the conference not starting.

14 hours ago, Demo said:

Absolutely worth your time. Dauster talking IU with Ant Wright. I’m a big fan of Ant. Knows what he’s watching, which is my highest compliment. Their roster eval and reasonable expectations for me are dead on the money.

1. Ant Wright just might be the single best college basketball team analyst there is.

2. He has certainly been critical of IU enough in the past to earn credibility.

3. Any “Mediocre Mike” poster that has a different opinion than Ant Wright about the upcoming season’s IU team? Sure. But anyone that hates Woody enough to discount what Ant is saying or think they know more than Ant Wright? Nope.

11 hours ago, Demo said:

Staggered lineup is the only way to make the minutes work.  The interesting part is that Woody has almost refused to do that in the past, especially if we're talking staggering the bigs to play smaller (4 perimeters) to get a guy like Goode in. It's the number 1 thing I'm most interested in this season.  

As far as aggregate talent or talent down the bench,  I tend to think that's overrated in a sport where your best players rest a couple mins or so a half. There are some exceptions if you play uptempo and have a deep bench.  Pitino's UK teams famously played that way.  Again, this doesn't really seem to be anything Woody has had an inclination towards in the past.  

My prediction is that Woody ultimately makes it mostly work his way,  or a modified version of his system,  but that 1 or more players don't get the playing time they expect. 

12 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Staggered lineup is the only way to make the minutes work.  The interesting part is that Woody has almost refused to do that in the past, especially if we're talking staggering the bigs to play smaller (4 perimeters) to get a guy like Goode in. It's the number 1 thing I'm most interested in this season.  

As far as aggregate talent or talent down the bench,  I tend to think that's overrated in a sport where your best players rest a couple mins or so a half. There are some exceptions if you play uptempo and have a deep bench.  Pitino's UK teams famously played that way.  Again, this doesn't really seem to be anything Woody has had an inclination towards in the past.  

My prediction is that Woody ultimately makes it mostly work his way,  or a modified version of his system,  but that 1 or more players don't get the playing time they expect. 

Ultimately, I think that nine players will get 10+ mpg:

1. Oumar
  2. Malik
  3. Mack
  4. Luke
  5. Trey
  6. Bryson
  7. Gabe
  8. Kanaan
  9. Myles

And that by about February it will be extremely difficult to keep Bryson Tucker off of the floor. 

• We will start each game with an oversized lineup,
  • Fans will piss and moan about that the first time we don't jump to an early lead
  • We will very rarely finish games with that oversized lineup
  • Gabe Cupps will be the backup point to start the season, but that Jakai will cut into his minutes, sending Kanaan and Trey to the point now and then

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Ultimately, I think that nine players will get 10+ mpg:

1. Oumar
  2. Malik
  3. Mack
  4. Luke
  5. Trey
  6. Bryson
  7. Gabe
  8. Kanaan
  9. Myles

And that by about February it will be extremely difficult to keep Bryson Tucker off of the floor. 

• We will start each game with an oversized lineup,
  • Fans will piss and moan about that the first time we don't jump to an early lead
  • We will very rarely finish games with that oversized lineup
  • Gabe Cupps will be the backup point to start the season, but that Jakai will cut into his minutes, sending Kanaan and Trey to the point now and then

Newton at less that 10 mpg? I hope not -- all signs so far point to him being ready / back to playing this summer and fully ready by  start of season. He's really talented, sure hope his injury is behind him, if so (I think so) he should be ahead of several of the above-listed guys.

I am making a mental effort to go into the season with an open mind and give Woodson the benefit of the doubt. But man, he's going to have to earn the trust of the fanbase. He plays his two-big lineup to a fault, it wasn't just last season (the only area where I take some issue with Ant's well thought out commentary). Yes, he's going to start Ballo and Malik, probably with Bako at the 3, but for how long, and when and for how long do we see Bako as a mismatch 4 -- are we finally shooting from the arc, with strong outside shooters to rely on, at a good volume so that outside game is a good part of the offense?

Again, I'm going to try to give Woodson the benefit of the doubt, but this is the year when he should, and has to, earn our trust and belief.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Newton at less that 10 mpg? I hope not -- all signs so far point to him being ready / back to playing this summer and fully ready by  start of season. He's really talented, sure hope his injury is behind him, if so (I think so) he should be ahead of several of the above-listed guys.

I am making a mental effort to go into the season with an open mind and give Woodson the benefit of the doubt. But man, he's going to have to earn the trust of the fanbase. He plays his two-big lineup to a fault, it wasn't just last season (the only area where I take some issue with Ant's well thought out commentary). Yes, he's going to start Ballo and Malik, probably with Bako at the 3, but for how long, and when and for how long do we see Bako as a mismatch 4 -- are we finally shooting from the arc, with strong outside shooters to rely on, at a good volume so that outside game is a good part of the offense?

Again, I'm going to try to give Woodson the benefit of the doubt, but this is the year when he should, and has to, earn our trust and belief.

To go smaller last year he would have had to sit either Malik, Mack, or Ware in favor of starting CJ Gunn, Leal, (or Cupps when X came back).

Yikes.

The roster construction was hot garbage last year, leaving no choice but to go big. That problem was on Woody, but that problem is solved.

51 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

The few (4? 5?) games he played at the end of his senior season will the only significant playing Newton will have seen in over 2 years. He might be physically ready (at least fully healed) this year but I still wouldn't expect too much of him this year.

30 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

The few (4? 5?) games he played at the end of his senior season will the only significant playing Newton will have seen in over 2 years. He might be physically ready (at least fully healed) this year but I still wouldn't expect too much of him this year.

Hoping that he gets his feet wet during cupcake season (blowouts required!!)

Then, when the invariable injuries hit now and then, he can be ready to be a full go as a key bench piece going forward.

5 hours ago, go iu bb said:

No way to know really. He's uber talented, you don't forget how to play ball, and if it's correct that he's healthy now, he'll have the summer and early fall to get back into bball shape and go from there. Likely will take him some time, don't have to expect something right out of the gate, but if he's healthy/fit, I would think he makes an impact as the season progresses.

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

No way to know really. He's uber talented, you don't forget how to play ball, and if it's correct that he's healthy now, he'll have the summer and early fall to get back into bball shape and go from there. Likely will take him some time, don't have to expect something right out of the gate, but if he's healthy/fit, I would think he makes an impact as the season progresses.

If he's healthy, he'll be just as ready as Sophomores Gunn or Banks last year. My goodness, I had high hopes for those two. 

This guy, both mentally and physically, just seems like he's not going to be scared or intimidated by the moment. 

If I had to guess, I say Woody's lineup later in the season is more contingent on the games in Nov/early-Dec than it will be on development through the season. He'll start with a single big, and do the NBA-style platoon substitutions he's done in previous early games. If that goes well, then great, he'll stick with it later in the year. If not, it'll probably be back to two bigs and everything goes through the middle.

If I had to guess, I say Woody's lineup later in the season is more contingent on the games in Nov/early-Dec than it will be on development through the season. He'll start with a single big, and do the NBA-style platoon substitutions he's done in previous early games. If that goes well, then great, he'll stick with it later in the year. If not, it'll probably be back to two bigs and everything goes through the middle.

I think starting lineup is either/or

1 Rice
2. Carlyle/Gallo
3. Mgbako
4. Reneau
5. Ballo

I’d say 90% chance It’s Carlyle.

I think bench minutes will be
Gallo,
Goode/Tucker,
Newton/Cupps one of these guys will steal the others minutes.
Leal/Hatton

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app