Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Xavier Arrested...

51 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I think itd be worse publicity to let him go because of this incident. 

I agree with this. If IU and Woodson just let this play out in the courts, the serious charge will be dropped and Xavier will pay a fine for speeding. Very few people will care about it once it is resolved by the courts. If Xavier is dismissed the controversy will continue throughout the season.

1 minute ago, Honkyman said:

I agree with this. If IU and Woodson just let this play out in the courts, the serious charge will be dropped and Xavier will pay a fine for speeding. Very few people will care about it once it resolved by the courts. If Xavier is dismissed the controversy will continue throughout the season.

Not sure how you are quoting me on this as I certainly didn't say it would be worse publicity to let him go.  

And a player being dismissed due to at least a second violation -- the second one being one that resulted in both a a felony and misdemeanor -- isn't a 'controversy that will continue throughout the season'.

Details from the report aren’t exactly great guys…really disappointing to see some fans (not on here) act like it’s no big deal. Going 90 on a street and avoiding police shouldn’t be a slap on the wrist. I like X and he’s probably the number 1 guy I want back on this current team over anyone (even Trayce) but as someone said earlier, when is it enough? Not like he’s some freshman. He’s about to be a 5th year senior… he’s supposed to be the leader of this team. Is this the guy IU wants in that role? I do believe a huge reason the 13-14 and 14-15 teams struggled was because of all the off the court issues. Culture of the program wasn’t good. I’m sure there is a lot more we don’t know about either. If I had to guess, I think X is gone. Maybe both sides “mutually agree” a change is best. Idk. If Woodson suspended him and others for curfew (I doubt that was the first strike too), I can’t imagine how this will go down. It’s time for him to grow up.

12 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

In the end, I expect he's gone. 

My personal opinion (which counts for nothing, I know) is that I get sick of the 'made a mistake' line.  It blurs the line between things being 'accidental mistakes' and being 'stupid judgement'.  There wasn't any accidental mistake here and there were several bad decisions in a row made.

In the current state of college basketball with the number of players transferring, it's less risky to dismiss a player anyway.  Guys are out there.

I side 100% with you. He’s about to be a 5th year senior. He should know better. I don’t want IU to repeat what happened in 13-14 and 14-15. What Yogi and Stanford did was stupid. But they didn’t put anyone at risk and they were much younger. Yogi grew up. I still think Holt and Perea should’ve been kicked off the team as soon as their first issue happened. It’ll be interesting to see what Woodson does. 

So this is my take.  I think that at the very least some kind of suspension will be coming.  JHS is coming and he is ready to play the moment he sets foot on campus.  Woodson has talked all season about point guard being the most important position and how he needs a point guard he can trust to run the team and be a leader.  

JHS is going to get a lot of time running with the starters as point guard in practice as next season approaches. He will spend a lot of time with the coaching staff going over game plans, matchups, scouting reports, what we are trying to do on offense, defense, etc.  I would not be surprised if this bad judgement from X results in him losing a lot on the court.

3 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Details from the report aren’t exactly great…really disappointing to see some fans (not on here) act like it’s no big deal. Going 90 on a street and avoiding police shouldn’t be a slap on the wrist. I like X and he’s probably the number 1 guy I want back on this current team over anyone (even Trayce) but as someone said earlier, when is it enough? Not like he’s some freshman. He’s about to be a 5th year senior… he’s supposed to be the leader of this team. Is this the guy IU wants in that role? I do believe a huge reason the 13-14 and 14-15 teams struggled was because of all the off the court issues. Culture of the program wasn’t good. I’m sure there is a lot more we don’t know about either. If I had to guess, I think X is gone. Maybe both sides “mutually agree” a change is best. Idk. If Woodson suspended him and others for curfew (I doubt that was the first strike too), I can’t imagine how this will go down. It’s time for him to grow up.

I hear you, it definitely shouldn’t be taken lightly, he could have killed someone - by accident of course but he put others in harms way by being stupid.

while I agree it is a big deal, I think this should be a situation where Woody leans in on him even more. Be that dad away from home, be that positive male role model because kicking him to the curb isn’t going to solve anything for him nor others around him, it will just happen in a different town instead of Bloomington.

18 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I suspect whether Xavier Johnson is dismissed from the team or retained, Dakich is going to take the opposite view.  Not sure why anyone would care what he thinks.

He likes winners and we haven’t been winners for a long time. He’s been right about IUBB a lot but so have I and the other doubters.  I generally haven’t liked the direction Indiana has taken in most of its decisions since Knight.  I’m ready for that to change. I’m not convinced it has.  I don’t necessarily like the way IU media handled the Fife situation.  I think there is more to this Matta situation than meets the eye.  

I just want us to be great.  That’s all.  I’m always looking for reasons to believe.  

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Going 90 on a street

I wouldn't accept allegations in the report as fact. As an attorney of 40 years who has seen my share of these reports, I know that allegations by arresting police officers in traffic cases are routinely exaggerated. Was Xavier speeding? Undoubtedly. Was he going 90? Unlikely that the police will be able to prove he was. That's why rushing to conclusions is a mistake. This will be resolved by the courts. Typically, unless alcohol or drugs are a contributing factor, the serious charge is dropped and there is an agreement to plead guilty on a speeding charge--not necessarily the charge that was originally filed.

12 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I hear you, it definitely shouldn’t be taken lightly, he could have killed someone - by accident of course but he put others in harms way by being stupid.

while I agree it is a big deal, I think this should be a situation where Woody leans in on him even more. Be that dad away from home, be that positive male role model because kicking him to the curb isn’t going to solve anything for him nor others around him, it will just happen in a different town instead of Bloomington.

I totally get it and you bring up good points. Ultimately I’ll trust Woodson and side with whatever he wants. I’m all in on him right now. If he lets X stay, then I’ll root like hell next year for X and hope he grows up. I just see people talking about Mark Few, Banchero, and Gillis getting away with what they did. That’s all BS I 100% agree but I don’t care. I care about Indiana. Not Gonzaga, Duke, or Purdue. I’d like to root for a team that has their players doing the right thing and holds them accountable. Which is why it was sick to hear about what went on during the Sampson era.

I don’t know what to say about the incident but I do have a hard time believing 90 on N. Walnut through town? How many stop signs or traffic lights are through that stretch? 

It may very well be true but if he was flying through town at that speed when would the officer had a chance to get a good radar shot? 

Probably a good idea to sit back and wait for the whole story to come out and see what charges stick before we, fans, pass judgement!

12 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I wouldn't accept allegations in the report as fact. As an attorney of 40 years who has seen my share of these reports, I know that allegations by arresting police officers in traffic cases are routinely exaggerated. Was Xavier speeding? Undoubtedly. Was he going 90? Unlikely that the police will be able to prove he was. That's why rushing to conclusions is a mistake. This will be resolved by the courts. Typically, unless alcohol or drugs are a contributing factor, the serious charge is dropped and there is an agreement to plead guilty on a speeding charge--not necessarily the charge that was originally filed.

Eh… shouldn’t be hard to prove he was going that fast. Dash cam? Surveillance footage from businesses? Remember with Ruggs (Raiders player) multiple cameras caught him going that fast. I get what you’re saying. But again, he shouldn’t get a slap in the wrist for this. We all need to take our cream and crimson glasses off. This isn’t good. 

4 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

I don’t know what to say about the incident but I do have a hard time believing 90 on N. Walnut through town? How many stop signs or traffic lights are through that stretch? 

It may very well be true but if he was flying through town at that speed when would the officer had a chance to get a good radar shot? 

Probably a good idea to sit back and wait for the whole story to come out and see what charges stick before we, fans, pass judgement!

oh wow. I just posted this somewhere else. Hard to think a cop could get a radar gun up that quick. 

8 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Ok, let’s say he was going, say 65. Avoiding police is pretty serious. And then on top of that changing seats…

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes, agree. But there are levels of "avoiding police." 

For sure. But refusing to pull over and running a stop sign…not good guys. Again, I get everyone wanting to give him a second or third chance. He’s one of our own. But me (my opinion doesn’t mean a thing lol) I’m just tired of it. The second chances didn’t work out with Hanner and Emmitt Holt years ago. Is it a coincidence that when IU got rid of those two from the 14-15 team that they made a Sweet 16 and won a big ten title that next year? I’m just big on culture. Clearly those two had a negative impact on the culture. Hate to say it, but it sounds like X may have a negative impact. Who is to say X won’t put one of our incoming freshman in a situation like Emmitt did with Thomas Bryant? (he deserved blame too) Get guys here that’ll do the right thing. 

23 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Yeah, just straight logistically speaking the only place 90 mph is even reasonably possible is north of the bypass and that’s a really tight, winding stretch with trees everywhere. If the report is true, that’s monumentally stupid on X’s part. 

43 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He likes winners and we haven’t been winners for a long time. He’s been right about IUBB a lot but so have I and the other doubters.  I generally haven’t liked the direction Indiana has taken in most of its decisions since Knight.  I’m ready for that to change. I’m not convinced it has.  I don’t necessarily like the way IU media handled the Fife situation.  I think there is more to this Matta situation than meets the eye.  

I just want us to be great.  That’s all.  I’m always looking for reasons to believe.  

I know you want IU to be great.  I wholeheartedly doubt Dakich feels the same.