Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

2 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

lifetime sentence for future employment? no

someone I'd want as "Head Coach in Waiting" at IU? absolutely not

You didn’t say it that way—sure as heck don’t want him as heir apparent.

Of course, I don’t want John Beilein even a little either.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Irrelevant.

There is most certainly not a set formula for finding a great coach.

There isn't.  But it is true that Archie Miller's coaching record pre-IU is better than Moser's currently.  Moser has had two tournament teams in 18 seasons.  The 'if he makes another final four this year' is a loooonnngggg way away.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I’ll send a little potential clarity our way:

Texas Tech plays Arky tomorrow. Either Beard or Musselman will officially be fair game as soon as that game ends.

I’ll be rooting for Arkansas because I’d love to know if we have a shot with Beard.

I’ll take Beard over Car Salesman any day.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You didn’t say it that way—sure as heck don’t want him as heir apparent.

Of course, I don’t want John Beilein even a little either.

my whole point re: a potential J Beilein hire is that you'd likely get Patrick Beilein as a "twofer" w/ PB being installed as John's likely successor--for me, that's a hard pass

I don't know why some (not you) seem to think Dolson could 1) hire J Beilein and simultaneously 2) make John install someone Scott/IU picked as John's successor--that's just not how these things work

1 minute ago, Magisterium said:

my whole point re: a potential J Beilein hire is that you'd likely get Patrick Beilein as a "twofer" w/ PB being installed as John's likely successor--for me, that's a hard pass

I don't know why some (not you) seem to think Dolson could 1) hire J Beilein and simultaneously 2) make John install someone Scott/IU picked as John's successor--that's just not how these things work

John might want that, but IU doesn't have to play along, no one but IU gets to name the next HC. Same with the second option, IU could request or even demand it but Beilein could decline a force fed Asst. 

Admittedly, I don't know much about most of the current candidates. That said, I really liked the comments Beard made about his team and playing in the Hall. Seems like that might work. Then it would be on us to make him want to stay.

25 minutes ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

EXACTLY.....He's a Texas guy, all family from Texas.   Sources say Texas is his dream job.  We would constantly be looking over our shoulders.

Or he could come here, like it, and want to stay.  Not unlike a guy in Boston that once had IU as his dream job.

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I’ll take Beard over Car Salesman any day.

I guess I don't get the 'car salesman' image.  I haven't heard guys he has brought in promising something he's not delivering on.  Does he use the transfer portal to his advantage?  Certainly.  And he gets results.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I guess I don't get the 'car salesman' image.  I haven't heard guys he has brought in promising something he's not delivering on.  Does he use the transfer portal to his advantage?  Certainly.  And he gets results.

I think he was referencing Lander's mother referring to Archie as a used car salesman.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Agreed, and if the opposition is to transfers you’re really gonna handicap the next coach, whoever it is.

Beard has done nicely with transfers, too. Believe 2 starters on his national runner up were transfers, and one of his best players this year, too

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think he was referencing Lander's mother referring to Archie as a used car salesman.

I hadn't heard that about Archie.  Actually heard the opposite.  That Archie was realistic and no nonsense.

The used car salesman or snake oil salesman talk was about Crean.  Not that he lied.  Just that he did hype a lot and was more than flamboyant.  And he was all over the place in his delivery.

Edited by Dave from Dayton

14 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

Disagree 100% that picking John Beilein as our coach leads to Patrick Beilein being his successor.  Simply not true.

1 minute ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I hadn't heard that about Archie.  Actually heard the opposite.  That Archie was realistic and no nonsense.

The used car salesman or snake oil salesman talk was about Crean.  Not that he lied.  Just that he did hype a lot and was more than flamboyant.

There were reports that Mrs. Lander sent out a text during our last game referring to Archie as a used car salesman in reaction to how few minutes Khristian played.

9 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

John might want that, but IU doesn't have to play along, no one but IU gets to name the next HC. Same with the second option, IU could request or even demand it but Beilein could decline a force fed Asst. 

again, this is my point: if John's hire is conditioned on Dolson/IU getting to pick his assistant(s), I don't think there's any way Beilein will accept that. Nor should he.

So if JB truly is the "backup plan" to Beard, I think Scott may end up moving farther down whatever list he's actually using--unless Dolson & the donors are OK with the specter of Patrick Beilein becoming IU's head BB coach around 2025 or so. Which IMO would be reckless.

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Treesh can certainly clarify, but I am positive he was referring to Musselman with this statement -- he has stated his very negative opinion of Musselman.