Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

57 minutes ago, IUCane said:

Why is it absurd for IU to want a $50mm buyout if another program would try to hire Stevens?  If IU is Brad's "dream job" and IU is going to make a commitment to Brad by paying out a $10mm buyout to a current coach and pay Brad a contract in the TOP 2 of all of college basketball why shouldn't IU want to recoup some of that investment and the cost of replacing him if he were to bail??   Maybe you structure so that the buyout is only that large if another college team, and a lower buyout if another NBA program came calling so IF he decides college REALLY isn't for him even at his dream school he can more easily transition back??

Crazy to blow up a deal over that. But I can’t say I believe that. Don’t think Dolson would let that be the stickler. 

Who would ultimately care anyhow? Say he comes here for six years and wins a title restoring IU to greatness. The Lakers then want to hire him. It’d be awful to lose him to the pros but it’s a net positive for IU, either way. Seems like internet nonsense. 

10 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

Again, not calling you a liar, but your “sources” as I understand it are many degrees removed and on the IU side.

mine...aren’t. 

Edit. Deleted because why bother. 

2 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

All of these people coming out of the woodwork to **** on information that quality posters decide to share with us need to seek help. Same thing with the "Brad was never considering IU crowd." That mentality is the problem with this fan base. Not the insiders and others who decide to be optimistic about something they are passionate about. Just a really sad look all around.

Yeah and it’s the same problem on Twitter. 

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

The guy said Dolson wants an absurd 50 million dollar buyout if Stevens ever left. Just as a big precaution. Stevens wants more years and a larger annual salary to keep that buyout in place. He said Dolson was now trying to come up with the extra money to up the offer. Thought that was interesting coming from a Butler fan. Could be something or just another rumor.

Hmmmm, not sure about that but IF true that sounds solvable. Drop it to $30mil and drops $5mil a year starting in year 3 or something. 

20 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

Again, not calling you a liar, but your “sources” as I understand it are many degrees removed and on the IU side.

mine...aren’t. 

In my experience, whenever someone starts a sentence with a disclaimer, it's usually how they really feel.

"I'm not calling you a liar, but..."

"I don't mean to be rude, but..."

"I don't mean to offend you, but..."

"I'm sure you meant no harm, but..."

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is how it flipped from IU's perspective from being a "done deal" to dead SO quickly. I personally believe that the insiders here were accurately relaying what the IU side believed. But in that case, how did it fall apart so fast?

Did Stevens say 100% definitively that he was staying, after apparently agreeing to come to IU 24-36 hours before? If so, why didn't we ask him to wait for us to come back with another offer?

The buyout thing doesn't make sense because there's no way Dolson let's a deal fall apart over that. 

The subsequent silence does make it seem plausible that we're regrouping to take one more run at Stevens. More likely, we are just regrouping before going after our next choice.

I realize why the insiders aren't eager to share any more info right now, but I'd love to know how the last conversation with Stevens went down.