Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

The idea people wouldn’t be excited about Tony Bennett is entirely shocking to me.

It's irrational. The guy has managed to win the ACC 5 out of the last 8 years at Virginia and hasn't missed the tournament since 2012. Oh, and won a national championship. 

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Because it would be a failure. He doesn't fit Indiana. We literally just had a cardboard cutout of a coach that couldn't get the fanbase excited. He fits Virginia. A historically bad basketball school that had zero culture. So Bennett built one. Indiana has a culture for basketball and Bennett is the literal opposite. 

I have to assume from your post you are a 20 something that is more worried about glitz and glamour over substance.  I remember watching Loyola Marymount in the early 90's and they were fun to watch.  But that style is not sustainable for the long run in basketball.  They scored 120 points a game but gave up the same amount.

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

My goodness. Can we please stop talking about Tony Bennett. There have been no reports he is interested or IU is interested. 

Nature abhors a vacuum. 

Who else you got? 

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Because it would be a failure. He doesn't fit Indiana. We literally just had a cardboard cutout of a coach that couldn't get the fanbase excited. He fits Virginia. A historically bad basketball school that had zero culture. So Bennett built one. Indiana has a culture for basketball and Bennett is the literal opposite. 

You do realize when RMK was hired a lot of the fans back then did not like the hire due to his slow pace offense.  We were the Hurryin Hoosiers who scored over a 100 in a lot of games.  They  saw RMK as a slow offense and a defensive coach.

9 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Wooden was nothing without Sam Gilbert greasing the skids... dirty in my mind... always will be... 

Yep. I have no doubt Wooden had some top-notch coaching chops, but it really, really helps when the nation's best players are being dropped off at your doorstep by a rich booster. ... If memory serves, Kareem has said there's no way he'd have gone to UCLA without Gilbert's "help." 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

What does Indiana basketball mean? 

I watch Carmel (the best program in the state right now)...  score 52ppg in the tourney so far. I literally do not care what style it is as long as it's a winning one. 

I have watched a few of their games and they are the definition of Indiana basketball.  They don't have the best talent but they play the best team basketball.

31 minutes ago, HOOsier Thunder said:

Much of the criticism of Bennett's tournament performance has been unfair and overlooks adverse circumstances.  It may be true that his style does not lend itself to tournament success, but IMO there are not enough good data points yet to prove it.  Most of his tournament losses can be explained by a combination of bad luck and/or key injury/illness.  He has only had two seasons at Virginia where he did not have a key injury or illness in the tournament, and in those two seasons he went to an Elite Eight and won a Championship.  He also won both of his first round games and went to a Sweet Sixteen in his two tournament appearances at Washington State.  Everyone can be prone to looking bad in the tournament in a small sample size.  Even Coach K lost to a 14-seed and a 15-seed in the span of 3 years.  I bet that in 20 years Bennett's tournament success will make the early exits look more like aberrations than the rule.

Bennett is clearly a great coach. He’s won the ACC five times in the last eight years. He has to battle against UNC, Duke and Louisville each season. That’s big time competition. He’s also won multiple conference tournaments. Those results insinuate great consistency. That’s something I’d love to see at IU. Bennett still has a lot of time to prove if those early exits are aberrations. Time will tell

2 hours ago, Woodson1980 said:

I believe it was 87.

Wisconsin had a great team and we're really starting to be a major pain in the @$$ under another guy named Bennett.

I remember the days when IU won 30 straight games against UW and that triple OT game was in 87.  They were not good then and their coach then was Steve Yoder

This Iowa game is making the case for Wayne Tinkle as the next coach of IU. Hear me out, we blank Iowa this year, Oregon State goes 2 for 3 against Oregon and wins the Pac12 and now in the Sweet 16. Oregon State > Oregon > Iowa who is < IU, lol!

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

I’d be so down for Dana Altman. No idea if any connection whatsoever but the guy wins 

Agreed, made 8 of the last 9 tournaments, 3 S16’s in the past four years. Plus a final four run thrown in there. 

37 minutes ago, Treesh said:

How about we quit recycling old coaches like Matta and Altman?

We need some fresh blood with potential. 

WHERE IS AJ ******** MOYE? 

Boy I missed having players that played for Indiana, not at Indiana. 

What’s potential to you?

Recycling coaches would be hiring someone who failed and was fired. IU isn’t looking at fired coaches, someone who takes this job is getting a raise and going to a more prestigious program. Matta is 53, that’s not old for coaching. 

44 minutes ago, Treesh said:

How about we quit recycling old coaches like Matta and Altman?

We need some fresh blood with potential. 

WHERE IS AJ ******** MOYE? 

Boy I missed having players that played for Indiana, not at Indiana. 

Altman? The guy has only made like 4 out of the last 5 sweet 16s..