Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

38 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Shrews was the top assistant to Brad Stevens and Matt Painter, was an NBA assistant, and took a perennial bottom feeder B1G team to 23 wins and the NCAA tournament in his second year as their head coach. 

Feel better about his resume now? He'd be the closest thing to a young, sure thing we could hope for.

Yes, a little bit. Pat Chambers won 26 games at PSU once, too. Shrews hasn't stayed the head coach anywhere long enough to establish a winning program, so I think it's fair to question that. A lot of ppl were assistants under great coaches. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I have zero doubts that Chris Beard would excel at IU. He’s 18-4 at Ole Miss, a school with 8 tournament appearances. He's likely going to go to a top school and excel there. I’d be fine if IU hired him. He’s a great coach. Probably one of the best in college basketball. But IU won’t ever hire him. They wouldn’t hire him even before the DV allegation. So, we’ll just have to watch him succeed somewhere else. 

Almost want him to come to the B10, just to shove it in our face. On the other hand, that's just one more program we're going to be looking up at. There's not many left at the bottom at this point and there's a seat saved. 

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Since it's a message board I'm going to speculate:

1. Chris Beard's difficulties with alcohol have not been confined to solely the reported incidents; and he says he still drinks.
  2. Chris Beard's police-reported incident of potential domestic abuse, at age 40-something, is not the only time in his life he has gotten physical when drunk and angry.

Because people who make $5 million/year hires do their homework and word travels.

HELLUVA basketball coach though.

Glad you said you were speculating, because that's all you're doing.

1. His "difficulties" with alcohol or whatever you and others claim clearly haven't prevented him from performing his duties. He's ascended through the coaching ranks faster than any coach I can ever remember. On the verge of taking his 4th program to the NCAAT in 8 years and next year will be his 5th whoever hires him. Only Lon Krueger and Rick Pitino can lay the claim of taking 5 different schools the the dance. It took each of them over 30 years. Beard will have done it in less than a decade.

2. Read the toxicology report included in the police report. Stone cold sober.

1 hour ago, Adillac said:

I'm surpised by this analysis. 

Shrews is by far the least proven of the 3 that were mentioned: a losing record in 3 years at IU Southbend, barely above .500 in 2 years at PSU and currently has a 7-15 record at ND. That's a poor resume. 

May has a better resume.

Schertz has an amazing resume.

Yeah, all the Shrews love doesn't make sense to me. His resume is pretty unimpressive.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Nothing wrong with that. Then go root for his team. But we don't need to talk about him and IU anymore. 

No particular interest in rooting for Ole Miss regardless of how much I envy their athletic department. They have real pros over there.

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Glad you said you were speculating, because that's all you're doing.

1. His "difficulties" with alcohol or whatever you and others claim clearly haven't prevented him from performing his duties. He's ascended through the coaching ranks faster than any coach I can ever remember. On the verge of taking his 4th program to the NCAAT in 8 years and next year will be his 5th whoever hires him. Only Lon Krueger and Rick Pitino can lay the claim of taking 5 different schools the the dance. It took each of them over 30 years. Beard will have done it in less than a decade.

2. Read the toxicology report included in the police report. Stone cold sober.

Some posts are so amazingly bad that I just can't help but to reply to it. This is one of them.

So you're saying he can't use the "I was drunk" excuse like it's somehow better? It's actually worse. That says he can't control himself even when sober.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Holy crap. That arrest happened when he was sober!??!

Yikes.

And cleared of all charges with everything behind him en route to another 20 win season.

Meanwhile, we're 6 point underdogs tonight to a team that hasn't won a game in a month lol.

Beard is at his 4th program in 8 years? Woof.

sounds like some of the players nowadays in the transfer portal/covid era. And we are arguing that this guy is a good fit? 

I know he wins, but jeez. Talk about a risk. 

edit: HE IS AT HIS 5th! Let’s not forget UNLV where he bolted before coaching a game lol

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Some posts are so amazingly bad that I just can't help but to reply to it. This is one of them.

So you're saying he can't use the "I was drunk" excuse like it's somehow better? It's actually worse. That says he can't control himself even when sober.

I keep hearing the excuse "we can't hire him because he's an alcoholic" and that "alcohol contributed to DV allegations".

Where is the proof that he can't control his liquor?

6 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Beard is at his 4th program in 8 years? Woof.

sounds like some of the players nowadays in the transfer portal/covid era. And we are arguing that this guy is a good fit? 

I know he wins, but jeez. Talk about a risk. 

edit: HE IS AT HIS 5th! Let’s not forget UNLV where he bolted before coaching a game lol

Taken more teams to the NCAA tournament than number of times we've been total in the same time frame. Let that sink in.