Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

Agreed. But 4 different schools in the last five years or something is crazy to me. 

Id throw the Brad Steven’s contract at Hurley and see what he does. 

Hey Trish… just asking…

Have you always been that guy that went home alone because you took a try at the supermodel and came up empty?

6 hours ago, str8baller said:

A lot of guys win at the lower level, though. I like it to a prize fighter climbing up the ranks. When Dusty May gets to the ACC or B1G likely every coach there will be better than the coaches in his current league, for example.  

So how do you sniff out the Bo Ryan’s, Brad Underwoods, Thad Mattas, etc.. from the Archie Millers of the world? I think it is as much of an art as a science. Having an AD who knows how to practice that art is key, imo. 

There are markers believe it or not. Not just winning at the lower levels but dominance/excellence. Multiple conference titles, both regular season and tournament. Typically these guys tend to win right away or very shortly after transitioning to higher levels. 

Shertz is a guy to keep an eye on. He fits the bill. He was over .800 win percentage with multiple championships prior to ISU. His offenses are always at the top of the sport I terms of efficiency. Dude is a wizard on the offensive end. Thats translating to higher levels at ISU. They are top 25 in the nation, offensively, this season. 

bigger and bigger fan of Shertz with each passing day. 

I'm not making excuses for Woodson, but this is a big reason why we need someone younger. A lot of recruits these days want people to "show them love." You see it on social media constantly, recruits practically begging for coaches to notice them and reach out to them. Perhaps they lack a significant father figure in their lives? Whatever the reason, Woodson doesn't seem like the type of coach who will play that game. Probably why we're not making any kind of inroads at the high school level lately. 
He has only landed one fall recruit the last two summers. A year ago he whiffed on everyone

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Trish said:

Agreed. But 4 different schools in the last five years or something is crazy to me. 

Id throw the Brad Steven’s contract at Hurley and see what he does. 

If you think Dan Hurley is coming here I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. I mean, Bobby? Maybe... Probably not who you want though. Lol

54 minutes ago, KYHoosier said:

Dusty May and Josh Schertz may end up being great coaches at big time universities in the future but there is no way you can convince me either are ready or qualified to become IU's next coach. Both should prove themselves in the P5 ranks as winners before they are asked to coach one of the biggest pressure cooker jobs in all of college bball.

My top, realistic candidates would be Shaka Smart, Greg McDermott, Scott Drew, Chris Beard (don't agree with his character, but you at least give him an interview), and Bruce Pearl. I think IU could land one of these coaches and all could handle the job and win here. You can risk going after another unproven coach.

I agree with what you said with the exception of Chris Facial Hair.

1 hour ago, KYHoosier said:

Dusty May and Josh Schertz may end up being great coaches at big time universities in the future but there is no way you can convince me either are ready or qualified to become IU's next coach. Both should prove themselves in the P5 ranks as winners before they are asked to coach one of the biggest pressure cooker jobs in all of college bball.

My top, realistic candidates would be Shaka Smart, Greg McDermott, Scott Drew, Chris Beard (don't agree with his character, but you at least give him an interview), and Bruce Pearl. I think IU could land one of these coaches and all could handle the job and win here. You can risk going after another unproven coach.

Remember Pat Fitzgerald interviewed really well for the football job but Dolson was told he was a no go by Whitten.

Just now, Chris007 said:

Remember Pat Fitzgerald interviewed really well for the football job but Dolson was told he was a no go by Whitten.

Has forgotten about that.  Assuming that was all based on his past vs knowing we had Cigs if we wanted him. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I also found it disturbing when someone posted the other night that none of the staff was out recruiting this weekend. No idea if that's true or not, but coaches and their assistants should never not be recruiting, at least if they have any aspirations of staying in this profession. 

They were supposed to be at La Lumeire but that game got cancelled. I was surprised they didn’t pivot to go see Mullins.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It would be great if for once, just once the President and the BOT stayed the hell out of the hiring process and let the boosters go out and hire who they want.

2 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

It would be great if for once, just once the President and the BOT stayed the hell out of the hiring process and let the boosters go out and hire who they want.

Lol this is what I was saying... Too many hands in the cookie jar that shouldn't have input. And an AD that gets told no and walks away with his tail between his legs.

(Granted I love the Cig hire, and I'm sure there's more to the story).

I was looking up Roger Stone today to figure out who he is and this was on his Wiki: He has described his own political modus operandi as "Attack, attack, attack – never defend" and "Admit nothing, deny everything, and launch a counterattack.".... Would love if we went back to this like we did with Knight.

The way things have gone lately and how it just seems to be people/media saying the team needs to be fixed and Woodson can’t fix it, won’t, etc…I wonder if there’s a certain way the rest of this season could go in Woodson’s own mind that would make him say ok, I need to step aside after this season and let the next guy take over…or if no matter how bad it goes, he’s going to think he still needs to be the guy to be here next year. I’m guessing his stubbornness is going to make him think he needs to be the guy, but there’s got to be something in him that eventually wakes him up to be ok with stepping aside if it ends up being the case. 

I also wonder like others if the lack of recruiting and only having one guy in the bag is a sign that the staff thinks the end is near, or just happens to be the way they are going about things. Do I hope like heck that Woody gets everyone he wants out of the portal next year and we have a great season? Absolutely….but I sure hope it doesn’t end up being a case of it just buying him more time of not knowing how to use them properly and we continue to go through the same stuff we’re going through now. I just don’t think he’s the type of coach at this point in his career that’ll change what he’s doing. Getting portal guys we “need” is great, but if he refuses to use them like he should then what’s the point.

This isn't a guy I would want for our next coach but I am posing the question. How did Woodson get hired over Dane fife? Let's leave the rumors of why he was fired out for the moment. He did a pretty darn good job at ipfw then went and sat on the bench behind 1 of the very best coaches in the game! Just talking qualifications wise fife seems like the safer hire. I get alot goes into coaching hires. My guess is he probably would have been good which is why iu went with the old nba guy lol.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

The people expecting the new president to be a basketball savior are going to be disappointed. She’s an improvement in that she isn’t actively hostile to athletics like the last guy, but it sounds like she shares the squeaky clean IU mentality. Disappointing but what can ya do. 

39 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

You don’t think the president of the university should have a say in the hiring process of the most public-facing position at the university? Especially when the candidate has issues?

That isn’t at all realistic. And I say that as a proponent of hiring Fitz. 

Let’s stop playing around and double Painter’s salary.

1. a. Dan Hurley
b. Painter
c. Stevens
3. Tommy Lloyd
4. Tony Bennett (would he play faster)
5. Scott Drew
6. Chris Beard
7. Bruce Pearl
8. Dusty May
9. Shaka Smart
10. Some energetic younger coach with national respect and some passion and toughness. Do they exist?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners