Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Strong disagree.

History, facilities, Status, Recruiting Budget, now “lowered” expectations, fans, historical venue.

All that stuff is the same which makes us desirable.

The biggest attribute is $$$$. Always is, and always has been.

Glass didn’t want to crack open the budget. He wanted a winner on a budget. A reasonable budget but not a knock your socks off budget. If we are willing to offer top 3-5 money plus all the other inherit perks, it’s a destination job on the highest order.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed. When you’re willing to spend, the program can be whatever you want it to be. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Just running through some thoughts here..

Brad Stevens left Butler for one of the top spots of all of basketball

He stated he grew up watching Knight and IU was a dream job

It was rumored he didn’t like recruiting in college, although he shot that down

I believe at one point IU reached out to him but he said he wouldn’t talk unless there was an opening

007 posted that he was contacted before but wouldn’t “answer the door” but this time “he answered the door and listened”

Dolson stated today that they haven’t talked to any potential candidates

A donor gave $10 mil to part ways with Archie (would they need guarantees who the next coach is for that sum of money?)

Another donor has agreed to pay for some other costs associated with the coaching change

Has Brad listened to what the plan is and decided he could build something at IU?

Has 8 years in the NBA given him enough cred that he can recruit at an extremely high level in college?

It’s interesting the words chosen by Dolson when others inside the program have stated otherwise.

I truly doubt IU would be able to convince Brad the timing is right but things could fall into place.

I’m still thinking it’s Beilein or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Scott was never going to come out and say 

“ Yeah I’ve got one guy in mind we’ll see if he comes” too much pressure on himself to say there’s a list or candidate. Would just draw more media and potential leaks. 

Scott has a list and has knowledge of who is possible. Otherwise two folks wouldn’t have donated the money. 

The no search committee and 10$ from two people speaks volumes! 

Just running through some thoughts here..

Brad Stevens left Butler for one of the top spots of all of basketball

He stated he grew up watching Knight and IU was a dream job

It was rumored he didn’t like recruiting in college, although he shot that down

I believe at one point IU reached out to him but he said he wouldn’t talk unless there was an opening

007 posted that he was contacted before but wouldn’t “answer the door” but this time “he answered the door and listened”

Dolson stated today that they haven’t talked to any potential candidates

A donor gave $10 mil to part ways with Archie (would they need guarantees who the next coach is for that sum of money?)

Another donor has agreed to pay for some other costs associated with the coaching change

Has Brad listened to what the plan is and decided he could build something at IU?

Has 8 years in the NBA given him enough cred that he can recruit at an extremely high level in college?

It’s interesting the words chosen by Dolson when others inside the program have stated otherwise.

I truly doubt IU would be able to convince Brad the timing is right but things could fall into place.

I’m still thinking it’s Beilein or similar.

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1615867687.501020.jpg

“ Yeah I’ve got one guy in mind we’ll see if he comes” too much pressure on himself to say there’s a list or candidate. Would just draw more media and potential leaks. 

Scott has a list and has knowledge of who is possible. Otherwise two folks wouldn’t have donated the money. 

Are you working on being a politician? You seem to speak out of both sides of your mouth at the same time. Indiana isn't an elite job........Dolson obviously has a big time hire on the line. It's truly impressive sir.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

No, gosh no. I’m going to keep beating this drum, folks.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app
I'm with you. I like Belien and I think he's an excellent coach and would be an excellent hire if he were 10 years younger. I don't get wanting a guy that's going to be here for maybe 5 years and then hand the keys to a guy that we don't know will sustain what he builds.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

We want to think Indiana is a top job but we interviewed and hired one guy last time and he was a mid major coach. 

things have gotten worse. Has the job increased in value over the years? Ehhh...

It was a top job with a low level AD.   New AD - looks like things have changed.  

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

Any good AD (or GM in the pros) will always have a short list of coaches they would upgrad to.  Cause you never know what is going to happen -- health issues, retirements, leave for other jobs, etc. etc.  

43 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I believe a lot of in Indiana Fandom are going to be hugely disappointed that Stevens isn't coming.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think Stevens is your "Joe Maddon" hire.  The Cubs had just hired Rick Renteria a year prior.  Joe Maddon came available and Renteria was gone.  If we end up with an old guy, or an up and comer, Stevens will be a possiblity when he decides the time is right.  If we hire a Beard et. al. and they are hugely successful, then maybe not.  

On 3/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, Uspshoosier said:

Bring home Josh Pasternak.   Kidding of course but if you want a former IU guy might as  well go with the former manager that has his team dancing this year 

Joe! Josh Pastner is the GA Tech, former Memphis, guy proudly rocking the face shield! 

2 hours ago, tyappleg said:

His 2nd and 3rd year at TT were fantastic. Last year and this year have been just average.  He is a major improvement, but seems more like a double or triple than a home run. Would be happy with the hire over a lot of the other options. 

This is kinda where I'm at. I admit to being a little cooler on Beard than most IU fans. I'd be perfectly happy with the hire and he'd obviously be a huge upgrade but I don't think he's the savior a lot of people think he would be. He's had a couple impressive tourney runs (granted, one REALLY impressive), but ideally, that kind of thing is gonna be a baseline expectation of anyone we're look at (hopefully).

Furthermore, I see him as one of the least likely to take the offer. Whether or not you think Brad leaves the NBA, there's at least a good reason why people think he MIGHT come here, given his background. But Beard doesn't have any Indiana ties or even any Midwest ties I'm aware of. The main reason a lot of people want him is his Knight connection, but think about the period he was coaching under him - I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Knight probably wasn't painting a real rosy picture of IU at that time. On top of that, he's already earning a top salary, and has family considerations, and yet people act like he's just sitting by the phone waiting for the IU call.

Definitely not against the idea, I'm just saying I think it's a real stretch.

31 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

This is kinda where I'm at. I admit to being a little cooler on Beard than most IU fans. I'd be perfectly happy with the hire and he'd obviously be a huge upgrade but I don't think he's the savior a lot of people think he would be. He's had a couple impressive tourney runs (granted, one REALLY impressive), but ideally, that kind of thing is gonna be a baseline expectation of anyone we're look at (hopefully).

Furthermore, I see him as one of the least likely to take the offer. Whether or not you think Brad leaves the NBA, there's at least a good reason why people think he MIGHT come here, given his background. But Beard doesn't have any Indiana ties or even any Midwest ties I'm aware of. The main reason a lot of people want him is his Knight connection, but think about the period he was coaching under him - I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Knight probably wasn't painting a real rosy picture of IU at that time. On top of that, he's already earning a top salary, and has family considerations, and yet people act like he's just sitting by the phone waiting for the IU call.

Definitely not against the idea, I'm just saying I think it's a real stretch.

His offense is pretty hard to watch. Listening to what Dolson talked about what he wanted in the next coach's play style sounded like someone with Oats' system. Beard is a great coach but his teams really muck it up and are a lot better on the defensive end than the offensive end. 

Edited by Unexpectedflash

3 hours ago, Treesh said:

We want to think Indiana is a top job but we interviewed and hired one guy last time and he was a mid major coach. 

things have gotten worse. Has the job increased in value over the years? Ehhh...

You act like Indiana is a run of the mill program with no success outside of one coach.  The bulk is under one coach, sure, but the same is true for Duke; they still have their legendary coach while we have an admin that refused to get out of the way.

And that search was by Fred Glass, enough said.  Dolson is TBD.