Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Decent late portal pick up for North Carolina:  Vanderilt PF/C Ven-Allen Lubin.  Two years of eligibilty left;  6'8", averaged 12.3 pts and 6.3 reb.  Started in all 26 games he played in, shot 50/33 (on 13 of 39)/73.  Freshman year played at Notre Dame, averaged 6.2 points in 17 mpg.  109th ranked recruit in class of 2022.

11 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If the NCAA had been reasonable about athletes prior, it probably wouldn’t have gotten to this.  Pose for a charitable calendar?  Suspension.  School provides transportation so you can attend a family member’s funeral?  Suspension.  Commit to a school and your coach leaves after a year?  Sorry, you have to sit out a full year if you want to transfer.

leave it up to the courts instead of making common sense rules, then you have to live with their ruling.

i think the NCAA is to blame for this situation.

Absolutely. 

Opting to go to court over everything was a big mistake on the NCAA's part.

Then when at court fighting to keep the athletes from having rights that other students had, argued over and over that the athletes were just students. 

It's no surprise that the courts finally started going against them. 

15 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It was inevitable, but I can’t imagine anyone believes this will make college sports better. Just look at how NIL + transfer portal have harmed them. 

Honestly I think NIL and transfer portal has helped college sports. 

13 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Indiana is dumb if they don't put the majority of that towards the football team and then rely on NIL to cover for basketball.

That being said, I don't know how much longer college sports are going to be interesting.  Part of the interest used to be that you would get to see a core group grow and develop with each other.  Now it is just dudes in and out.  And the Cinderella type of stories are going to be fewer and further between.  Those schools don't have huge TV contracts that help them get the $20 million to share.  I think the Big Ten is already so big that it isn't a cohesive conference anymore.

I’m probably definitely in the minority on this. But I hated the oh we have to wait and let players development mindset of college sports. The top programs haven’t followed that in decades. They may be developing players, but they had top stars to carry them on runs deep in March and conference titles. Then those stars were replaced with new ones. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Honestly I think NIL and transfer portal has helped college sports. 

Might keep some players in school longer. As a fan of the sport it has made me less interested in the sport.

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

Might keep some players in school longer. As a fan of the sport it has made me less interested in the sport.

Mgbako stayed and he could have declared for the draft since that was his intentions but with a strong NIL package, he’s getting paid decent enough to keep him an extra year.  I’m not saying he would have gotten drafted but he might have went in the 2nd round though, NIL guaranteed him money and he stayed.  Good for him and IU

I don’t think you can quantify level of interest- appreciation of the college game just by looking at viewership numbers. People are going to watch the sport they like as it’s made available. 
In terms of quality of the game, NIL will probably improve it overall (can make the case it already has), with high level and veteran talent moving broadly to many programs. 
Is that better for the college game? Depends on what you’re looking at and the things you value and appreciate in the game. 
Me, I am one who has enjoyed seeing teams — TEAM not just individual athletes— develop along with player development, and recruiting.
Balance in veteran players, high level recruiting (which now doesn’t matter as much) and coaching is what kept programs consistently elite — hello, RMK didn’t need NIL to win multiple NC’s, multiple Big Ten championships and consistently put IU in the dance (level of the program fell off in the mid 90s when he valued hunting over recruiting).

Kind of like the Olympics. It was amateur sports. The US held out while Russia et al put their pros in play. The Miracle on Ice was a miracle— college kids against the Russians amd Fins, truly special. That’s all gone. Who cares if today’s NBA players win the US a gold medal? I don’t, the Olympics isn’t the same, neither is today’s NIL “college” game.

2 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Mgbako stayed and he could have declared for the draft since that was his intentions but with a strong NIL package, he’s getting paid decent enough to keep him an extra year.  I’m not saying he would have gotten drafted but he might have went in the 2nd round though, NIL guaranteed him money and he stayed.  Good for him and IU

I understand that but I am saying personally I had less interest watching other college games than I use to. I will still watch every IU game but probably not as much other games. I use to watch a couple of games every night no matter who were playing. Between the portal and NIL plus the quality of play has made me lose interest in watching every game.

58 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I understand that but I am saying personally I had less interest watching other college games than I use to. I will still watch every IU game but probably not as much other games. I use to watch a couple of games every night no matter who were playing. Between the portal and NIL plus the quality of play has made me lose interest in watching every game.

I think it does put the power conferences in more control of winning and the conferences like the MAC, OVC, etc will be feeder conferences for the bigger conferences.  That means there is less of a chance for a Kent State to make the FF4.

21 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If the NCAA had been reasonable about athletes prior, it probably wouldn’t have gotten to this.  Pose for a charitable calendar?  Suspension.  School provides transportation so you can attend a family member’s funeral?  Suspension.  Commit to a school and your coach leaves after a year?  Sorry, you have to sit out a full year if you want to transfer.

leave it up to the courts instead of making common sense rules, then you have to live with their ruling.

i think the NCAA is to blame for this situation.

I think you are mostly right, but "NCAA brought this on themselves" doesn't make me feel any better. 

I don't know what the result of these settlements & rulings will be on "college" athletics popularity overall, but am 100% certain *I* won't like it, and suspect I am not alone. Pro sports already exist, but I still greatly prefer(ed) college football & basketball. Making college sports a bastardized pro league with some vague academic ties, doesn't intrest me. 

10 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think it does put the power conferences in more control of winning and the conferences like the MAC, OVC, etc will be feeder conferences for the bigger conferences.  That means there is less of a chance for a Kent State to make the FF4.

Once they mess with the tournament I am done with all of this. The tournament is the best sporting event in the country and if their greed ruins it I am finished. The mid to small conference teams is what makes the first weekend of the tournament. Nobody wants to watch a first round game of Kansas vs Georgia Tech

7 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I think you are mostly right, but "NCAA brought this on themselves" doesn't make me feel any better. 

I don't know what the result of these settlements & rulings will be on "college" athletics popularity overall, but am 100% certain *I* won't like it, and suspect I am not alone. Pro sports already exist, but I still greatly prefer(ed) college football & basketball. Making college sports a bastardized pro league with some vague academic ties, doesn't intrest me. 

That’s kind of how I feel but I am still going to watch a root for the Hoosiers no matter what.  I still want to see it as amateur sports but a coach like MW can excel because money can dictate his roster instead of recruiting 3-4 year players and developing them.  It looks like those days are gone and today’s game is much easier to recruit for a coach like MW.

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

Once they mess with the tournament I am done with all of this. The tournament is the best sporting event in the country and if their greed ruins it I am finished. The mid to small conference teams is what makes the first weekend of the tournament. Nobody wants to watch a first round game of Kansas vs Georgia Tech

I agree but I think that is coming soon

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That’s kind of how I feel but I am still going to watch a root for the Hoosiers no matter what.  I still want to see it as amateur sports but a coach like MW can excel because money can dictate his roster instead of recruiting 3-4 year players and developing them.  It looks like those days are gone and today’s game is much easier to recruit for a coach like MW.

I am probably in the minority but if we win a championship because of NIL it wont mean as much to me as the 3 I got to see. I loved watching kids coming in as freshman and developing for 4 years and winning championships. I will be happy if we win another one but if it is done with merchionaries and one year players it won't feel the same.