Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

17 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I actually think there is a solid base to make it next year. It’s a free year and there will be plenty of movement on the transfer portal this off season. The right coach with a good reputation, like Mack, and IU adds a few strong pieces and we are a tournament team next year. 

Yeah putting it together you're right.

Assuming Joey's back (sounds like he is based social media and his absence from Senior speeches), we'll have two guys that want to play 5 in Joey and Logan.  It will not be a position of strength, but it's not Juwan or Hartman stuck there, either.  

Two true PGs in Lander and Rob.  This could be average to very good.

Then you thrown in Franklin and Race as leaders and proven studs.  

Then any combination of Leal, Geronimo, Galloway, Hunter to fill out minutes?  

I'm at the point that I'm entertaining the thought that Archie is actually a bad coach.  Be it Xs and Os or ability to reach your players or ability to develop.  Who knows.  At no point did he put out a product that was greater than the sum of its parts.  If I were a coach I'd look at Franklin, Race, Khristian, and Geronimo and be very excited.  Let Joey and Logan anchor the 5, and get maybe Hunter and Leal out there with a green light to shoot in a better system, and this thing could take off.  

36 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I'd like to sit down and have a conversation with these 4 people about their perspectives in regards to AM: Ed Schilling, Bruiser Flint, Juwan Morgan and Zack McRoberts.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Devonte Green, Justin Smith and De'Ron Davis

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Devonte Green, Justin Smith and De'Ron Davis

What in God's name could those guys offer worth hearing? 

Hey, I'm glad for Justin Smith that he's on a team that is succeeding now.  But he was a pain in the @$$ while he was here who was convinced he was a shooting guard.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

What in God's name could those guys offer worth hearing? 

Hey, I'm glad for Justin Smith that he's on a team that is succeeding now.  But he was a pain in the @$$ while he was here who was convinced he was a shooting guard.

It wouldn't be all the sunshine and rainbows that someone like McRoberts would throw out there. You're going to get a lot more truth out of guys like Green. 

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It wouldn't be all the sunshine and rainbows that someone like McRoberts would throw out there. You're going to get a lot more truth out of guys like Green. 

We all saw Green play.  Green's version of the truth will be that he never took a bad shot or made a bad pass.  

Also seems strange that you 'know' that McRoberts would throw out 'sunshine and rainbows'.  

Just now, brumdog45 said:

We all saw Green play.  Green's version of the truth will be that he never took a bad shot or made a bad pass.  

Also seems strange that you 'know' that McRoberts would throw out 'sunshine and rainbows'.  

McRoberts got playing time when he should have been watching from the bench. What bad things could be say?

1 hour ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

https://iufilmroom.com/2020-21/indiana-under-archie-miller-its-time-to-move-on/

Has everyone looked at this? For a certified non-expert like myself, this broke it down concisely and in a way that was incredibly easy to read.

Yup. Pretty simple story. I skimmed it pretty quick, but I'd just add that he wasn't really great at recruiting either (sorry if they mentioned it). He was good inside the state, but was pretty meh outside the state. He did get some big in-state names, but he also lost several I think we should have locked down. IMO, wouldn't doubt if it was because style of play.

Regardless, I hope they're not cheap. I know it's 7M cheaper to drop the hammer next year, but another year will hurt IU given most will know he's a lame duck. Hoping another team is already interested in him, which would help with the buyout.

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

I know it's 7M cheaper to drop the hammer next year,

I've seen this phrase getting thrown around a lot. Are we really saving $7 million by keeping him another year? If he's here next year, we still have to pay him his salary, then half of his remaining buyout. I think that's actually only about $3 million in that case. 

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I've seen this phrase getting thrown around a lot. Are we really saving $7 million by keeping him another year? If he's here next year, we still have to pay him his salary, then half of his remaining buyout. I think that's actually only about $3 million in that case. 

I read (I think SI or ESPN) that if we can him now, his buyout is 10.5M. If next year, 3.5M. 

7 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I read (I think SI or ESPN) that if we can him now, his buyout is 10.5M. If next year, 3.5M. 

I know, I'm saying that if we fire him next year, we pay a smaller buyout, but we'd still have to pay his annual salary. In that case, $3.5 million to coach the season, plus $3.5 million buyout. So, we aren't really saving $7 million by waiting a year. It's more like $3 million. 

13 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

His buyout drop also doesn’t hit until April 1, 2022. There would be no firing next year until the season was complete. Considering this roster with Archie as coach is probably finishing 11th or worse in the B1G next season, we’d going to be calling for his firing well before April. If he’s not even going to make it through next season you fire him now. 

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I know, I'm saying that if we fire him next year, we pay a smaller buyout, but we'd still have to pay his annual salary. In that case, $3.5 million to coach the season, plus $3.5 million buyout. So, we aren't really saving $7 million by waiting a year. It's more like $3 million. 

You forgot to add in $7 mil for Brad next year

McRoberts got playing time when he should have been watching from the bench. What bad things could be say?
McRoberts was the only player that played a minute of basketball that also had 3 total Div 1 college coaches to compare him to. I think he'd be able to give a good opinion based on that alone. That's why I added him.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Are we paying a coach next season or just looking for volunteers?

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

You're not factoring the additional new coach's salary. 

So if we hire someone, let's say at 4M a year, we'd pay 4+10.5 in 2021 totaling 14.5.

If we wait, we're only paying his base this year. Then next year, we fire him, pay the new coach 4M+3.5M buyout totaling 7.5M.

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

His buyout drop also doesn’t hit until April 1, 2022. There would be no firing next year until the season was complete. Considering this roster with Archie as coach is probably finishing 11th or worse in the B1G next season, we’d going to be calling for his firing well before April. If he’s not even going to make it through next season you fire him now. 

Oh they'd definitely wait (if they don't pull the trigger now). That doesn't mean they wouldn't have a plan, or identified candidates.