Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

1 minute ago, kreigh8 said:

Would striking out like we seemingly have make whatever Donovan requested for his assistants more realistic? I still want Archie to succeed, I just don't see how it's possible. He might not be that IU guy like others want, but I'd think Donovan would be a guy who could unite the fanbase immediately. Somethings gotta change, be it Archie or whoever.

I'm not sure I think that would be a question for the new AD or McRobbie. But there is a chance Donovan could be coach of the year in the NBA this season. 

23 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It was a big number like 9 last time. The same thing with Donovan which he liked the number but then asked for a crazy amount for assistant coaches pool and Fred said no. 

That's the first time I've heard that and it's soul crushing.

Still have to make those calls again though.

24 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Would striking out like we seemingly have make whatever Donovan requested for his assistants more realistic? I still want Archie to succeed, I just don't see how it's possible. He might not be that IU guy like others want, but I'd think Donovan would be a guy who could unite the fanbase immediately. Somethings gotta change, be it Archie or whoever.

Donovan was my #1 choice last time and still would be when the job is open. If he could win two national titles somewhere else, he could do it here. He'd be wildly respected by high school coaches in this state, and players would like his NBA coaching accolades. He would bring instant credibility back to this program, and there would be no condescending nicknames like "mid-major Miller" or "Lil' Arch." 

A Donovan hire might not be as splashy as Stevens, but make no mistake, it would send a strong message to the college basketball world that we aren't messing around anymore. 

39 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It was a big number like 9 last time. The same thing with Donovan which he liked the number but then asked for a crazy amount for assistant coaches pool and Fred said no. 

So you can confirm we reached out to Donovan last time? I heard as far back as 2015 that we were in contact with him, but it seemed to be widely dismissed on various boards as wishful thinking. 

Just now, TheWatShot said:

So you can confirm we reached out to Donovan last time? I heard as far back as 2015 that we were in contact with him, but it seemed to be widely dismissed on various boards as wishful thinking. 

He was contacted through back channels. Some people say he was in town, some say he wasn't. I personally didn't see him with my eyes but I do believe some people who say he was here. 

I was very hopeful going into this season, and remained that way through part of this season...... but it’s just hard to defend the product we have on the floor. I would respect/support CAM way more if he would bench certain players and lose with walk-ons getting some minutes.

I have left the Miller train, and I worry if being handcuffed will be his ultimate undoing because this whole program looks, I would say in a haze! It’s here, everyone is participating, but no clear direction of what’s going on or trying to, but just can’t seem to get a clear mind of anything.

Just very disappointing because this program should be a constant Top 25 team with the backyard recruiting opportunities, history, fanbase, etc. Why can’t we have nice things anymore? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Why would you bench Brunk when he's been one of our best players this season? He's also one of the few players who actually seems to care. Brunk, Smith, and TJD have been our three best rebounders this season. All 3 are averaging 8+ ppg on over 50% shooting. The frontcourt isn't the issue, the backcourt is. If we had anything resembling a competent backcourt we would be a much better team. 

Because as long as those 3 play together, Archie will continue running an offense that purposefully clogs the lane. We shouldn’t be reliant on Brunk. He’s a backup. He should be a backup on this team. And it should say something when a backup from a bad Butler team comes here and immediately becomes a top 3 player. But it’s a change that has to be made. Whether anyone likes it or not, there isn’t a guard on the planet that would be successful in this offense.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

You are correct Fred is leaving because he's not sure Archie is the guy anymore and he doesn't want to be the guy to have to make that decision. I've heard that from several people in athletics 

What made Glass feel this way? The timeline doesn't seem to make sense. 

Glass's retirement was announced on December 16th. At that time, we only had one loss, which was at Wisconsin on December 7th. We were coming off an overtime home win over Nebraska with an ugly win over UConn before that. 

Here on BTB, we didn't really kick the tires on discussing life after Archie Miller until the Arkansas home loss, on December 29th. 

Did the 12 out of 13 stretch last year convince him he'd made the wrong choice? Or was it something else, like a divided locker room, a disconnect between coach and players, etc.? 

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It's actually not that hard to see how he recovers from this; the Hoosiers need to win about four of their remaining eight of their remaining conference games and a game or two in the tourney. That's how.

Now, will that happen based on the in-game play we've been seeing? Seems doubtful.

Getting in the tourney as a 9 or 10 seed isn't recovering. Getting to the Sweet 16 and scaring a much higher seed? Maybe. Even then, it could be written off as a fluke, based on matchups or unsustainable good fortune. 

He has too many dark clouds hanging over him at this point; too many bad, embarrassing losses. Too much of the toothpaste is out of the tube. 

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Glass's retirement was announced on December 16th. At that time, we only had one loss, which was at Wisconsin on December 7th. We were coming off an overtime home win over Nebraska with an ugly win over UConn before that. 

Here on BTB, we didn't really kick the tires on discussing life after Archie Miller until the Arkansas home loss, on December 29th. 

Did the 12 out of 13 stretch last year convince him he'd made the wrong choice? Or was it something else, like a divided locker room, a disconnect between coach and players, etc.? 

Some of saw the signs last year. Perhaps Glass did as well and when he saw nothing changed he knew 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Well, I guess we don't know this is the only reason he is "retiring" but I think it factors in. He knew well before he announced and I'm guessing to some degree he thought Archie might be in over his head. He knew coming up you are going to either buy him out or extend him and Fred doesn't want to be here for that. 

He is in my 1-2% that would do it immediately

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Getting in the tourney as a 9 or 10 seed isn't recovering. Getting to the Sweet 16 and scaring a much higher seed? Maybe. Even then, it could be written off as a fluke, based on matchups or unsustainable good fortune. 

He has too many dark clouds hanging over him at this point; too many bad, embarrassing losses. Too much of the toothpaste is out of the tube. 
I agree with this. I said before this season started making the tournament should be a goal or enough to give archie more time. I forgot however how bad archie teams look it is almost unwatchable. Also the lack of effort and turnovers are maddening. Then you throw in that purdue game and we get embarrassed. I just think losing to purdue a likely 6 times in a row and no enthusiasm in the program is enough. We need some major positive things to happen the rest of this season to get me back

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Almost Back in the boat I was in with Crean.

I am not quite rooting for losses but I’m not far off.

These kids quit on Archie. That’s about the only answer to this debacle.

Archie’s offense is the worst I’ve ever seen at Indiana.

Crean’s Defense was the worst I’ve ever seen.

So, bring Crean back after Georgia fires him as our offensive coordinator, since apparently no one wants the job. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I guess the radio show should be interesting tonight

No one really has it in them to actually ask him any difficult questions. No one will ask him if he intends to change the lineup, what happened to shortening the rotation, if he plans to change an offense that isn’t working. It’ll be the continued fluff crap.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

No one really has it in them to actually ask him any difficult questions. No one will ask him if he intends to change the lineup, what happened to shortening the rotation, if he plans to change an offense that isn’t working. It’ll be the continued fluff crap.

That is why I quit watching. Waste of time.