Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Just for fun: Crean year four was Wat Shot and a s16. And from then on every Crean team save ‘14* was better than any Archie IU team yet based on Kenpom #s.

*’14 would’ve been easier to stomach if the ‘13 season had ended more palatably.

No shortage of evidence that basketball programs can turn around quickly. Coaches can change, and change their fortune...but this one hasn’t yet.

I can live with losses, even losses to Purdue. What I can't live with are losses that happen because of a lack of effort. If the team goes out and competes hard for 40 minutes and comes out with a loss it's not the end of the world. But when the team comes out flat, over and over again, and loses because of it, changes have to be made. Archie is done as the basketball coach at IU; and I imagine he knows it. The only question is when he actually gets fired. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I can live with losses, even losses to Purdue. What I can't live with are losses that happens because of a lack of effort. If the team goes out and competes hard for 40 minutes and come out with a loss it's not the end of the world. But when the team comes out flat, over and over again, and loses because of it, changes have to be made. Archie is done as the basketball coach at IU; and I imagine he knows it. The only question is when he actually gets fired. 

March of 2021

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Depending on donations.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Correct but you have to remember Fred is staying till July. New AD is coming in around there so there won't be a firing July or August. People can donate what they want but Fred is not making this hire & the new AD won't be here. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

March of 2021

That's what I figured. Assuming we don't turn the season around his seat will be flaming hot entering next year, but he'll be back. Honestly, as an IU fan I hope Archie can find a way to figure things out next year because I really do not want to go through another crappy season + a rebuild afterwards. I just want to be good. 

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

It warms my heart to see all you guys realizing that Archie is a terrible coach.  Maybe we can all become one family again now!  <HUGZ>

You also have to remember that if he has a good year next year he won't necessarily be fired either. I know you don't think that is possible but I'm just saying it's not guaranteed he will be fired.

Also, we haven't been united since Knight left. Some like Davis, some didn't and the same with Sampson, & Crean. I don't see someone being hired that is going to unite everyone. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I will say there is a cancer or two on the team and we will be better when they are not around. But still, put some blame on Archie for playing them. If you're going to lose, at least lose playing your guys. That is all I will say for now

This is the thing that puzzles me. There are guys who are really negative influences on the team -- or so it would seem. And I would think we can guess who they are. But every game, the same guys are either starting or getting 25 or so min. of PT. Maybe it comes down from the higher ups that you can't kick guys off, but it certainly doesn't come down from the higher ups that you have to play them so much. It just seems very strange. 

Is the possibility of donors paying the buyout actually a thing? Forgive my ignorance on this subject. I assume it is. But specifically is it possible for Cuban or a collection of donors to bring a check to the athletic department and say this is to be used for the very specific reason of paying the buyout on the basketball coach's contract? Or is it a more "official" process where they have to donate money to the athletic department and the AD gets to decide how best to use it? 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

You also have to remember that if he has a good year next year he won't necessarily be fired either. I know you don't think that is possible but I'm just saying it's not guaranteed he will be fired.

Also, we haven't been united since Knight left. Some like Davis, some didn't and the same with Sampson, & Crean. I don't see someone being hired that is going to unite everyone. 

I will never disagree with you Chris (and I don't even know you!) but as an alternate opinion, if Cheaney came in and won, the fan base would unite. I'm not sure he is capable of doing that, but it would definitely bring everyone together.