Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

15 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Respectfully, and without outing sources, Stevens is not attached to coaching the Celtics and knows his place historically will still be as a hall of fame college coach in the not too distant future. He has learned to tolerate the NBA, but he’s not an NBA talent personality and doesn’t enjoy dealing with them. I stand by my statement based on conversations, that if the administration wanted to, they could open the wallet and get the right guy. They know who “those guys” are, and the number it would take to get one of them tomorrow. They have chosen not to take that route because they don’t see the basketball program being a national power as a priority. Take that for what it’s worth. 

I’ll bet you when the times comes, Duke will make Brad Stevens an offer, IU should at least take a shot when the times comes here!

1 minute ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

That’s exactly what I mean. I don’t get it. 

Lack of leadership. Every team I have ever seen that shut down when things got tough it was due to a lack of or bad leadership. 

This team has no confidence in what they do. So when it’s not working they shut down. My guess would be they know what they are supposed to do but they probably don’t understand why. 

Regardless I think the system is still flawed. Archies pack line might work at lower levels but it doesn’t work consistently at this level. Guys are too athletic and fast but can also shoot. Our offense is reliant on fouls being called but this is the big ten so that’s not going to happen. 

So they have bad systems that they have no faith in and players aren’t held accountable for deviating from the plan. That’s a recipe for disaster. 

4 minutes ago, coachv jr said:

couldn't agree more about crimson quarry, run by a bunch of idiots. not surprised at all that they are washed up

People have been trying to take it over for awhile now but the admins don’t seem to care enough to do anything. Meanwhile Hammer and Rails and A Sea of Blue post almost every day. I do miss the glory days of the funny Crean content though.

4 minutes ago, coachv jr said:

couldn't agree more about crimson quarry, run by a bunch of idiots. not surprised at all that they are washed up

Every time I see something from Crimson quarry I can't help but think it's run by middle schoolers. 

56 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lack of leadership. Every team I have ever seen that shut down when things got tough it was due to a lack of or bad leadership. 

This team has no confidence in what they do. So when it’s not working they shut down. My guess would be they know what they are supposed to do but they probably don’t understand why. 

Regardless I think the system is still flawed. Archies pack line might work at lower levels but it doesn’t work consistently at this level. Guys are too athletic and fast but can also shoot. Our offense is reliant on fouls being called but this is the big ten so that’s not going to happen. 

So they have bad systems that they have no faith in and players aren’t held accountable for deviating from the plan. That’s a recipe for disaster. 

There’s a reason no NBA teams run a pack line defense. Sure, the B1G isn’t the league, but skilled players and coaches can beat it consistently in repeatable ways. 

I know the difference between a 2-3 zone, a match-up zone, a 3-2 zone, a box and one and man-to-man defense. But as far as the pack-line defense, I'm not smart enough to know the nuances. (I lived in Minnesota for a while, and a legendary Div. II coach ran the "up the line, on the line" defense. Now, what that is -- I have absolutely no idea). 

I do know this, however. Tony Bennett runs the pack line -- or some version of it. And when he had good players, it worked. Since I live in Virginia, I see most of their games and before all their good players left for the NBA, they'd win 30-plus games, get a 1 or 2 NCAA seed and despite the first-round debacle in 2018, did win a national title. I've watched his defense limit teams to 35 points, to 40 points, to 45 points. What's the difference between what he does and what Archie's trying to do. It is it simply better execution, or it is a better variance of the pack line? 

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I know the difference between a 2-3 zone, a match-up zone, a 3-2 zone, a box and one and man-to-man defense. But as far as the pack-line defense, I'm not smart enough to know the nuances. (I lived in Minnesota for a while, and a legendary Div. II coach ran the "up the line, on the line" defense. Now, what that is -- I have absolutely no idea). 

I do know this, however. Tony Bennett runs the pack line -- or some version of it. And when he had good players, it worked. Since I live in Virginia, I see most of their games and before all their good players left for the NBA, they'd win 30-plus games, get a 1 or 2 NCAA seed and despite the first-round debacle in 2018, did win a national title. I've watched his defense limit teams to 35 points, to 40 points, to 45 points. What's the difference between what he does and what Archie's trying to do. It is it simply better execution, or it is a better variance of the pack line? 

The defensive energy when closing out and doubling in the packline by our guards is NOT good enough.

And, I’ve never seen a packline that doesn’t double the post and try to force skip passes.

10 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

We all have our preferences, but as we also can surely agree, any defense or scheme can succeed when run well. Bennett’s dad creates and popularized the packline...I think part of it is Virginia has a better teacher.

Brunk and Davis are poor fits athletically for the hard hedge-and-recover that Arch won’t abandon. I would have them play drop coverage and let the other forwards do the hard hedge. Even Virginia’s burliest guys have had better feet.

As @Stuhoo points out, the closeouts are very bad — I wonder to what extent this is due to subliminally not trusting the 5s behind you, or worrying you’ll get Juwan/Trayce into foul trouble.

I also don’t like UVA’s slow pace, but I wonder to what extent trying to push the ball makes the defensive scheme slightly harder.

Any thoughts on Pitino? Seems we both need each other and everyone loves a rehab/comeback story... I too am done with CAM after yesterday. A week to prepare. At home. Arch rival. RMK in the House. And you lay an egg? Unacceptable. Hope NC State opens up so he can make a soft landing there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Any thoughts on Pitino? Seems we both need each other and everyone loves a rehab/comeback story... I too am done with CAM after yesterday. A week to prepare. At home. Arch rival. RMK in the House. And you lay an egg? Unacceptable. Hope NC State opens up so he can make a soft landing there.

No but honestly want a coach who’s willing to shell out a few bucks and bring in some prized recruits.

29 minutes ago, Rookie33 said:

We need Pitino like that Italian restaurant needs another stain on its bathroom floor. 

Because this is probably our currently most read thread, I'm posting this public service announcement for Brenna Wise.

Brenna is a candidate for the Senior CLASS Award and the general public can cast votes for her.  You can vote as many times as you like through March 23, so vote early; vote often.

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/womens_basketball_2019-20/

Twenty NCAA® men’s and women’s basketball student-athletes who excel both on and off the court were selected as finalists today for the 2019-20 Senior CLASS Award®. To be eligible for the award, student-athletes must be classified as NCAA Division I seniors and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition. The complete list of finalists follows this release.

An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School®, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their athletic platforms to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.

The finalists were chosen by national media from the list of 30 men’s candidates and 30 women’s candidates announced earlier in the season. Nationwide fan voting begins immediately to help select the winner, and fans are encouraged to submit votes online at the Senior CLASS Award website through March 23. Fan votes will be combined with those of the media and Division I head coaches to determine the winners. The Senior CLASS Award recipients will be announced during the 2020 NCAA Men’s Final Four® and NCAA Women’s Final Four®.

20 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Who can we hire that will bring in a monster 2021 class?

When Archie got Schilling, I thought that was evidence we would play the game the way UCLA did with Alford. Then we get Langford and the ball is rolling. Now he’s not here. Why? No one really knows. It was always a mystery. Was it the Brooks recruitment?

Ostrom has been involved in recruiting Monster classes at places. Now he can’t recruit. We settle for middle talent.

Is it administration? Is it Archie? Is it by design?

So many questions. Archie isn’t answering any of them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Probably because recruits don't want to come play for a bad Coach, whose teams have never had any offensive identity and compete for 10th and 11th place in the Big Ten.   Crean was a below Average X and O guy who could spot talent.  Archie is a Below Average X and O guy who cannot spot talent, that is what we swapped for.  This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  Archie took Gregory's recruits at Dayton to deep runs in tourney and then when his classes kicked in, he managed to beat up on the A-10 and hen get flushed in the first round of the tourney.  I know it's easy to say this now, even though I have been saying it since it was announced......This was not a good hire for us. He doesn't Coach an offensive style that elite players want to play for, he is not going to out coach anyone and he rode the coattails of what his brother has done and we all know how his Brother accomplished it.

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Pack line works fine at Louisville.

18 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

He was talking to the king of “I give zero f’s, I just unapologetically tell the truth whether anyone likes it or not” guy and that guy has never said a thing about how he is handcuffed. If he truly was, Dakich would be spewing it for ratings

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I still don't get the hatred for Dakich.  His style may or may not be "for you" but he has the highest rated mid day show in the country and he sure as hell isn't wrong a whole lot as it relates to IU Basketball.

I still don't get the hatred for Dakich.  His style may or may not be "for you" but he has the highest rated mid day show in the country and he sure as hell isn't wrong a whole lot as it relates to IU Basketball.

He had a really interesting interview with Butch Carter this week. DD can get old and I stopped
Following him on twitter but generally appreciate his perspective on things

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app