Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

God I hope not. Quarters will result in more automatic timeouts. Which will result in games taking longer but really only because of more ads 

Actually, I thought it worked well for the women's game and I'm not opposed to making such a change.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Actually, I thought it worked well for the women's game and I'm not opposed to making such a change.

The draw to cram more commercials into the game is very different between men's and women's hoops. 

What is the appeal of quarters? I am not necc against it but don't get the reason to go that way.

I would much rather them to do 4 quarters versus resetting the fouls at the 10 minute mark in the middle of a half which is what the alternative is. Every other league in the world is 4 quarters. As long as they leave the shot clock alone I have no problem with quarters.

Just now, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I would much rather them to do 4 quarters versus resetting the fouls at the 10 minute mark in the middle of a half which is what the alternative is. Every other league in the world is 4 quarters. As long as they leave the shot clock alone I have no problem with quarters.

Why do they have to reset the fouls?  That's not the only alternative. 

Why do they have to reset the fouls?  That's not the only alternative. 

Because that is what they are testing. They tried it out in the NIT I believe. They are trying to eliminate time being spent shooting free throws (from being in the bonus) so they reset the team fouls at the 10 minute mark. Which if you go to 4 quarters you would play 4 ten minute quarters and fouls would reset at every quarter except it wouldn't be in the middle of a half. It makes much more sense to do quarters.

5 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Because that is what they are testing. They tried it out in the NIT I believe. They are trying to eliminate time being spent shooting free throws (from being in the bonus) so they reset the team fouls at the 10 minute mark. Which if you go to 4 quarters you would play 4 ten minute quarters and fouls would reset at every quarter except it wouldn't be in the middle of a half. It makes much more sense to do quarters.

I would much rather watch commercials than watch Free Throws. 

I would much rather watch commercials than watch Free Throws. 

There shouldn't be anymore commercials by going to quarters. You'll have one at the end of the first and one at the third. These would essentially just replace a media timeout. Not arguing about commercial time, just stating they are currently contemplating resetting team fouls in the middle of the half in order to eliminate teams going in the bonus so early and slowing the game down with free throws. The easier solution IMO is just switch to 4 quarters like everyone else.

1 minute ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

There shouldn't be anymore commercials by going to quarters. You'll have one at the end of the first and one at the third. These would essentially just replace a media timeout. Not arguing about commercial time, just stating they are currently contemplating resetting team fouls in the middle of the half in order to eliminate teams going in the bonus so early and slowing the game down with free throws. The easier solution IMO is just switch to 4 quarters like everyone else.

They won't ever say that's the plan it's just what's gonna happen. 

What is the appeal of quarters? I am not necc against it but don't get the reason to go that way.

My main reason is that fouls being reset would be a huge improvement for those games where teams enter the double bonus with 13+ minutes still left to go in the game.

I don't understand the commercial complaint... there's going to be commercials... switching to quarters won't change that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

My main reason is that fouls being reset would be a huge improvement for those games where teams enter the double bonus with 13+ minutes still left to go in the game.

I don't understand the commercial complaint... there's going to be commercials... switching to quarters won't change that.

Same goal could be accomplished by punishing refs for blowing their whistle for attention

13 hours ago, schoosier said:

Pretty sure you can go back in the baseball draft after 2 years removed from high school if you go the juco route. 

True but if you go to a D1, D2, D3, or NAIA you have to be 3 years removed which is what I was trying to get at with the comparison  to basketball. 

God I hope not. Quarters will result in more automatic timeouts. Which will result in games taking longer but really only because of more ads 

I just DVR everything to avoid the commercials. The downside of that is not being able to stay current on here during games!

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

Same goal could be accomplished by punishing refs for blowing their whistle for attention

Well... if it hasn't happened yet from all the terrible officiating we've seen over the last several years, it won't ever happen.

Quarters are an absolute must. It is in every organization around the world. NBA has had quarters forever. WNBA changed to quarters and then NCAA women's basketball changed to quarters. Only a matter of time before NCAA men's basketball changes to quarters as well