Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

42 minutes ago, drewheck said:

If he was wouldnt the agent come to meet him instead of having him come to LA , if im going to be paying the dude hes going to working on my terms

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe unless TH wants to spend a weekend in L.A. on behalf of the agency flying him out there.

I could definitely see this happening.  Bryant stood up for Crean more than anyone else.  "He's my guy."  Obviously that iconic picture after the loss to UNC last year.  So maybe Crean's firing hit him more than others.

He also came in with a pedigree and expectations that he would not be here long.  He was almost gone last year, and this year was supposed to be his victory tour before getting the big contract to play professionally.  Instead the team sucked, his unheralded classmate OG stole all the draft thunder (with somewhat pedestrian numbers), the fanbase turned on Thomas the way we're prone to do, and the season was flat awful.  

It makes sense that Thomas wants to leave.  

Next year, without him, is going to be rough.  DD is a very talented player, but he's on borrowed time each game until he's in foul trouble.  Clifton isn't ready (IMO), and doesn't want to be in the paint anyway.  So it's going to be putting Juwan and Collin on the opposing team's big, and likely some brand of small ball on offense.  

Not the end of the world, but we are going to have a lot of points to make up, especially if JBJ goes too.

20 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Next year, without him, is going to be rough.  DD is a very talented player, but he's on borrowed time each game until he's in foul trouble.  Clifton isn't ready (IMO), and doesn't want to be in the paint anyway.  So it's going to be putting Juwan and Collin on the opposing team's big, and likely some brand of small ball on offense. 

You would have to think (hope, pray) that a year of experience and some coaching will help with the fouling problem.

I'm with you though - I thought TB would be the first to leave when Crean was fired.

As has been mentioned, I'd put some decent money on Archie knowing more about the situation than any of us combined. Speculating is fun, but it seems irresponsible to be jumping to conclusions (either way) before this shakes out. Archie knows what's going on.

I agree completely. Archie knows what's going on with scholarships just as Crean did. That's why Archie put himself in this position.

I'm not sure why there's a double standard for many on here (not you specifically hova, I just quoted your post because I agree)

For the record, I never had any problem with Crean's oversignings and I have no problem with Archie doing it either. He knows what he's doing. I'm just annoyed by hypocrisy of many posts here.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I agree completely. Archie knows what's going on with scholarships just as Crean did. That's why Archie put himself in this position.

I'm not sure why there's a double standard for many on here (not you specifically hova, I just quoted your post because I agree)

For the record, I never had any problem with Crean's oversignings and I have no problem with Archie doing it either. He knows what he's doing. I'm just annoyed by hypocrisy of many posts here.

My problem was with Crean doing it year after year. Archie has only been on the job for a month (side note, it feels like he's been here much longer than that). If Archie does it every year like Crean did then I'll have a problem with it. I just need more evidence at this point. 

My problem was with Crean doing it year after year. Archie has only been on the job for a month (side note, it feels like he's been here much longer than that). If Archie does it every year like Crean did then I'll have a problem with it. I just need more evidence at this point. 

Curious...what don't you like about it?

Ron Patterson could answer that better than anyone here. Probably the "movement" to the end of TCTC in-state recruiting.

Didn't Patterson get busted cheating on his admissions exam, so he never officially got admitted into the university? Am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Didn't Patterson get busted cheating on his admissions exam, so he never officially got admitted into the university? Am I missing something?

You seem very angry, Tom. Is everything alright?

With the new draft rule and the prevalence of transferring, oversigning is a necessary evil as part of managing a roster. I don't think it was a big issue under Crean, and I don't expect it to become an issue under Archie.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not sure what you are missing, but I do know there wasn't a scholarship available for him. 13-14=-1

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Good thing he couldn't get admitted then?

There was a plan in place had he gotten admitted. Same thing Archie is doing now.

Ron Patterson, Matt Roth, and several others felt forced out. Ron didn't help himself by his actions but if their was a roster spot I'm sure he would have been on the team. Oversigning forces players out and can create a negative environment. Archie is cleaning something up that Crean was known to do every year. There are many successful programs that can manage their roster without oversigning. I hope this is something Archie is able to do it.

Ron Patterson, Matt Roth, and several others felt forced out. Ron didn't help himself by his actions but if their was a roster spot I'm sure he would have been on the team. Oversigning forces players out and can create a negative environment. Archie is cleaning something up that Crean was known to do every year. There are many successful programs that can manage their roster without oversigning. I hope this is something Archie is able to do it.

That's fair, although Patterson is a bad example. He made his own bed.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

That's fair, although Patterson is a bad example. He made his own bed.

I had never read about him cheating, but that he didn't "fully qualify". He took summer courses at IU. How did he do that if he wasn't admitted?