Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Whats his market value though? That's where the sides may differ. He could easily say I am the head coach of IU. I am staying on that level.

It's not written as "gainful employment close to his market value" right? That is terrible. 

Oh, no. I went and looked at it. All of this is crazy well covered. They give specific jobs that are comparable including head coach at any D1 school.

It's not written as "gainful employment close to his market value" right? That is terrible.

Oh, no. I went and looked at it. All of this is crazy well covered. They give specific jobs that are comparable including head coach at any D1 school.

That makes me feel better.

Did you guy's arguing crash the board lol.

Lol trust me we want the same thing. I am just not sure it happens this year unless we tank conference. Glass will point clearly at our record. IMO. Hope I am wrong but history of Glass making changes aren't strong.

Our major players are as follows:
2 redshirt seniors
1 senior
2 juniors
2 sophomores (1 is a McDAA that a lot thought would be 1-and-done)
1 freshman

These are our major minutes contributors. This is at the very least an average aged team, so anyone arguing we are young needs to look again. Just because Yogi and Troy still play like they are freshmen and collect 5-10 TO / game doesn't mean we are young. We have plenty of experience. The problem is we have a coach that can't get anything out of them and is a complete failure as an offensive tactician. If this team had been coached by K, Izzo, Ryan, etc. they would be competing for B1G title (and not due to our incredibly weak conf. schedule this year) and making at least Sweet 16 runs. Crean cannot win unless he can get Calipari-level recruits and hell...half the coaches in D-1 could win with that talent!

2 redshirt seniors
1 senior
2 juniors
1 freshman

These are our major minutes contributors. This is at the very least an average aged team, so anyone arguing we are young needs to look again. Just because Yogi and Troy still play like they are freshmen and collect 5-10 TO / game doesn't mean we are young. We have plenty of experience. The problem is we have a coach that can't get anything out of them and is a complete failure as an offensive tactician. If this team had been coached by K, Izzo, Ryan, etc. they would be competing for B1G title (and not due to our incredibly weak conf. schedule this year) and making at least Sweet 16 runs. Crean cannot win unless he can get Calipari-level recruits and hell...half the coaches in D-1 could win with that talent!

Nobody is arguing that?

2 redshirt seniors
1 senior
2 juniors
1 freshman

Half the D-1 coaches? Heck, half the folks on this board could win with that talent.

Lol trust me we want the same thing. I am just not sure it happens this year unless we tank conference. Glass will point clearly at our record. IMO. Hope I am wrong but history of Glass making changes aren't strong.

Glass fired a National Championship winning coach bc things had slipped in soccer. You don't think he will pull the trigger on firing Crean? Glass knows where the bar is for basketball. Don't let his public support of Crean fool you. That support will continue until he makes the move to replace Crean.

I see 3 ways Crean is back next year. 1. He wins the conference. 2. He makes a final four. 3. Glass knows waiting a year will guarantee his #1 guy. There is no reason to keep Crean if Stevens is saying he wants multiple more years in Boston.

Glass fired a National Championship winning coach bc things had slipped in soccer. You don't think he will pull the trigger on firing Crean? Glass knows where the bar is for basketball. Don't let his public support of Crean fool you. That support will continue until he makes the move to replace Crean.

I see 3 ways Crean is back next year. 1. He wins the conference. 2. He makes a final four. 3. Glass knows waiting a year will guarantee his #1 guy. There is no reason to keep Crean if Stevens is saying he wants multiple more years in Boston.

freitag was Mike Davis 2.0.

2 redshirt seniors
1 senior
2 juniors
1 freshman

Fwiw, IU is ranked 9th in Adj. offensive efficiency. I'm not sure that's a complete failure. The issue really lies on the defensive end where IU ranks 122. 

freitag was Mike Davis 2.0.

Except Freitag actually won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

I'm not saying Freitag should have stayed. I'm saying Glss recognized that even though he had a National Champion coach, a change needed to be made. I think he can see the same in a much more visible product, IUBB.

To be honest, Crean and Davis had similar levels of success coaching here. Both won a conference title. Davis actually made a championship game. While Crean has won a little more and hit his ceiling at a Sweet 16. Both turned off the Indiana high school coaches. Davis recruited the south and Crean is focusing on the East. Both good men, both not good enough basketball coaches to be the head coach of Indiana.

My thought is that the apathy that the general fan base is feeling has leaked into the locker room and has directly affected the team's mindset.

Isn't Crean technically a "lame duck" coach? I mean the players have to think he's gone after this year. It's gotta be tough playing in a situation like that. I feel bad for the players. They look sad on the court both literally and figuratively.

My thought is that the apathy that the general fan base is feeling has leaked into the locker room and has directly affected the team's mindset.

its possible but I doubt it. How does a 20 year kid playing on scholarship for the most historic team in the best conference in division 1 college basketball that is hoping to go pro and make millions apathetic?

Isn't Crean technically a "lame duck" coach? I mean the players have to think he's gone after this year. It's gotta be tough playing in a situation like that. I feel bad for the players. They look sad on the court both literally and figuratively.

The only person who truly knows, for certain, that he is a lame duck coach, is Glass. And he isn't telling us anything. If I had to bet money on whether Crean will be our coach next year, I'd take the safe position. He stays. If we are to get the next generational hire (Stevens), then timing has to be absolutely perfect. I cannot see Stevens family making the move this early.

Not sure what to make of this but, IU had their biggest comeback win in the Crean era this year against ND (-16).

We should have never been down 16 but nevertheless, we came back and won. I don't know if that was a complete fluke or something different that is happening. Anytime during Crean's time here that we have been down double digits I have said, well, we're done and we always been, but for the first team, we fought back.

Maybe it was a fluke, maybe not, just trying to find something positive regarding this coach and team