Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Since when do past failures prevent future success?

Not saying we cant have an outlier performance in March. i'm saying the best programs consistently do this in March and unfortunately for Crean (and all of us), he has a very bad track record overall. He's outright awful in postseasons.   

They don't, however, past failures can be a pretty solid indicator of what the future holds. We can go on a run, but everything about Crean's teams prior to this year tell us it's unlikely to happen. I think everyone is just preparing for the worst because it is what we are used too now, and until we can consistently go deep in the tourney it will be this way. you can't blame really blame fans for that.

To each his own. I can't imagine being paranoid about the team I love. It's a new era, folks

Two sweet sixteens, a first round loss with a flawed team. That isn't awful. I guess we can say the other 4 years sucked?

People act like Indiana was this power before Crean came here and he isn't living up to standards. We've gone mad

To each his own. I can't imagine being paranoid about the team I love. It's a new era, folks

Two sweet sixteens, a first round loss with a flawed team. That isn't awful. I guess we can say the other 4 years sucked?

People act like Indiana was this power before Crean came here and he isn't living up to standards. We've gone mad

I agree, Indiana hasn't been a power for approximately the last 20+ years.  However, we USED to be one of the premier 3-5 teams in the nation.  

It seems a percentage of the fan base is okay with lowering standards to what we've been as a program for the last 20 years.  If we say Sweet 16s and occasional Big Ten Titles is sufficient, then yea, Crean is our man.

If we want to compete for national titles then, personally, I think we need a new coach.  Crean's tournament record is atrocious and I'm not willing to drop my standards for IU as a program.  I'm 30, and my fondest memories are of the Cheaney and Henderson years.  And that was  a fantastic era of IU ball despite not winning a title (Could have won two actually, assuming Valentine doesn't job us against Duke, and Henderson doesn't break his arm the following year).  Those were teams you KNEW would go far in the tournament.  Crean's teams are ones we HOPE will go far.  

If Crean makes the Final Four this year then he will have changed my opinion of his coaching abilities.  If not.....

And yea, I know we have to run a gauntlet this year; but that's because we crapped the bed in Maui and the BTT.  If the expectation prior to this season was a FF4 or Elite Eight appearance (based on the talent of this team), then it should remain so.  No excuses.  

I see your viewpoint as accepting of not doing well in either the BTT or NCAA tournaments. Those results are not what should be expected. We are Indiana U. Afterall!

If you think Crean is living up to standards then you are part of the problem. He said it in is introduction at Indiana "This is Indiana".

No one has said we were a national power before Crean, but that's not really the point.  Do you lower expectations or don't you?  I say you don't, because lower them once and you will find a reason to do it again.  We need to say "these are the expectations, now go do it.  No excuses.".

Alabama football wasn't Alabama football for a while, then they got tired of it and said "screw it, we're Alabama" and aimed for the cheap seats.  In my opinion that's what we should be doing instead of saying "we'll we could've struck out, so a single is good enough".

No one has said we were a national power before Crean, but that's not really the point. Do you lower expectations or don't you? I say you don't, because lower them once and you will find a reason to do it again. We need to say "these are the expectations, now go do it. No excuses.".

Alabama football wasn't Alabama football for a while, then they got tired of it and said "screw it, we're Alabama" and aimed for the cheap seats. In my opinion that's what we should be doing instead of saying "we'll we could've struck out, so a single is good enough".

I know I've said this somewhere before but IU is the college basketball equivalent of what Alabama football was. A sleeping giant that will be awaken by the right person. That person still might be Crean but ...

I know I've said this somewhere before but IU is the college basketball equivalent of what Alabama football was. A sleeping giant that will be awaken by the right person. That person still might be Crean but ...

There's the possibility, sure, but with the sample size we have on him I tend the think past performance is pretty indicative.

Michigan football before Harbaugh took over?  I know he's only been there for a year but they had a solid season and have a bright future with him.

This whole thing is odd. It's really a matter of expectations. Idk why people think it's an anti Crean mentality. It's an anti-living up to expectations mentality.

Then the fact that we see recurring themes and don't know who to blame, it becomes Creans problem.

We have had 2 straight bad years. This was supposed to be a BIG year. It's been a good year but for most Elite programs this is a ho hum year. A 5 seed that may not make sweet sixteen?

Most of us fear another 1 or 2 year swoon full of excuses (yogi graduated, troy went NBA, Tom NBA, missed this recruit/that recruit, etc). I actually think we can be good next year but I fear we may not.

We as fans don't have the luxury of faith yet due to inconsistent results.

To me it's not a Crean thing personally at all. For most I think. It's just, individual fan expectations haven't been met. For MadAbout, his/her expectations are met or exceeded so he/she is content.

Question is, is Indiana capable of more? Other programs with less history and funds attain more. Why can't we?

I think this sums up this thread in a single post.

What are your expectations for IU basketball, btw?

Michigan football before Harbaugh took over?  I know he's only been there for a year but they had a solid season and have a bright future with him.

I never had any doubts Harbaugh would turn Michigan around.  The guy is just one heck of a football coach.

Kansas, Duke, Virginia of late, MSU Izzo era, UK results. Couple others could be mentioned.

Top 3 team B1G year to year.

Make NCAA 9/10 years.

To be talked about with respect and viewed as an Elite team that is feared. To be grouped with those teams that run College basketball.

Average 2 wins in NCAA tourney.

Perennially in top 25. When we drop out it makes noise.

Too steep?

Not too steep

I don't know about lowered expectations but I'm personally "halfway" happy with the last 5 years of ball. It's been so much more exciting to watch than what we have seen since the 90s. I want a title but I'm personally not going to crap the bed. This all goes back to the notion that has been said 1000 times in this thread. Elite or let's ride this pony out. Don't swap him for the same breed horse. I'd rather have Crean honestly than another similar coach and results.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Kansas, Duke, Virginia of late, MSU Izzo era, UK results. Couple others could be mentioned.

Top 3 team B1G year to year.

Make NCAA 9/10 years.

To be talked about with respect and viewed as an Elite team that is feared. To be grouped with those teams that run College basketball.

Average 2 wins in NCAA tourney.

Perennially in top 25. When we drop out it makes noise.

Too steep?

I mean, just based on Indiana's history that's a criteria that has never been achieved soo....maybe