Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierReb01

I'm ready for 2016 IU Football

With Lagow it will be all mental. If he knows the play book he will be just fine given his physical talent. We saw a nice preview in the spring game, he is a big play QB. I worry about him versus a pass rush however, he doesn't have Nate's pocket presence at this time.

If Lagow isn't comfortable with the playbook, Zander will win the job. Zander knows the playbook like the back of his hand and is not going down in this QB competition without a fight.

I am not worried about QB, we have two guys who are more than capable and will push each other.

2 hours ago, akhosrof said:

With Lagow it will be all mental. If he knows the play book he will be just fine given his physical talent. We saw a nice preview in the spring game, he is a big play QB. I worry about him versus a pass rush however, he doesn't have Nate's pocket presence at this time.

If Lagow isn't comfortable with the playbook, Zander will win the job. Zander knows the playbook like the back of his hand and is not going down in this QB competition without a fight.

I am not worried about QB, we have two guys who are more than capable and will push each other.

Zander struggles to throw the ball downfield... If he's our quarterback this season then we're in trouble, imo. 

Zander struggles to throw the ball downfield... If he's our quarterback this season then we're in trouble, imo. 

I agree with you that having a strong armed QB is very important to our offense. Without a doubt I want to see Lagow be the guy because Cobbs, Jones and crew are best when they can stretch the defense. However, Zander has struggled because he's had to come in relief midseason the past two years. Zander doesn't have the skill set to run the same game plan that Nate ran (or Lagow will run). Unfortunately, it's very difficult to change these things in season.

If Zander wins the starting job over the summer, I guarantee you CKW will have offensive game plans much more suited for Zander's skill set. Worst case scenario would be both guys do poorly over the summer and we have a game of musical chairs at the QB spot.

I have a feeling Zander will come into camp bigger and stronger. Combine that with his high football IQ and this will not be an easy QB competition.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Agree. I don't know why some of our fans are so high on Zander. Dude is terrible, IMO. 

Me neither. By all accounts he seems like a good kid and an extremely hard worker, but he has major physical limitations that prevent him from being a serviceable Big 10 quarterback. He's short (listed at 6'1), and skinny (listed at 174 pounds), and doesn't have the exceptional speed or arm strength that the guys who succeed at his size have. He would've benefitted greatly from a redshirt, it's a shame our qb situation the past two years didn't allow for one. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Me neither. By all accounts he seems like a good kid and an extremely hard worker, but he has major physical limitations that prevent him from being a serviceable Big 10 quarterback. He's short (listed at 6'1), and skinny (listed at 174 pounds), and doesn't have the exceptional speed or arm strength that the guys who succeed at his size have. He would've benefitted greatly from a redshirt, it's a shame our qb situation the past two years didn't allow for one. 

He needed a redshirt season badly.  As it is he'll have to make a huge jump as a passer or we'll struggle if he's getting regular playing time.

17 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

He needed a redshirt season badly.  As it is he'll have to make a huge jump as a passer or we'll struggle if he's getting regular playing time.

Lets face it, he was a project right from the start. At best he should have never seen anything but mop-up action until he was a redshirt junior or senior, and the reality is, hopefully he's just the backup then. Would love to see him develop into a B1G caliber starter, and I hope he does, but I feel he's a WTSHTF player now. Of course, its hit the fan a couple of times in the last two years. I hope they can afford to  redshirt him this year.