Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

5 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

You are correct. The point is he chose LSU over "basketball" schools. He could have went to one of those schools to develop him better for the NBA. Which seems to be the argument many on here are making for IU over Vandy with DG. BS chose LSU over a basketball school for completely different reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

His godfather was on the coaching staff. I don't think he's a good example to use here

Jerry Meyer was on Kent sterling radio show. He said when he changed his pick to IU there was heavy chatter from Vandy people that he was going to IU but now the sources are quiet. he still has IU as his pick but his gut is saying Vandy. Says it’s close

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

You are correct. The point is he chose LSU over "basketball" schools. He could have went to one of those schools to develop him better for the NBA. Which seems to be the argument many on here are making for IU over Vandy with DG. BS chose LSU over a basketball school for completely different reasons.

Simmons went to where their assistant was a family friend and played basketball with his dad. 

1 minute ago, iufaninillinois said:

And? As I said he chose a non basketball school for reasons other than it being a basketball school. The reason doesn't have to be the reason why DG is considering Vandy. It's that a factor in his decision was different than going to a basketball school. Sometimes those factors trump going to a basketball school.

Ben Simmons was also as close to a lock as there is to being a top 3 pick. He could have went ANYWHERE. 

8 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

Why? Did he not pick a non basketball school for a reason other than because a basketball school could better prepare him for the NBA?

Simmons was going to be the #1 pick regardless of where he played. He could've played at the local ymca and still went #1. Darius isn't on his level. 

Simmons went to where their assistant was a family friend and played basketball with his dad. 

So his reason was to play for a team that had an assistant coach who played with his dad. People on here say DG should pick IU because it would better prepare him for the NBA because it is a basketball school I agree with this assessment. However, we know DG is considering Vandy to stay close to family and home. My point is factors other than playing for a basketball school sometimes is more important. It's not hard to understand.

Jerry Meyer was on Kent sterling radio show. He said when he changed his pick to IU there was heavy chatter from Vandy people that he was going to IU but now the sources are quiet. he still has IU as his pick but his gut is saying Vandy. Says it’s close

This isnt encouraging imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Carteare Gordon from St. Louis in 2018. Used to be a five star, has slid to a four. He's going to SLU because he wants to play for the hometown team. I don't get why some are being willfully obtuse about playing in your hometown isn't attractive for some kids.

5 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

This isnt encouraging imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not discouraged at all by that.

He still feels IU could be the pick, as his selection remains IU on his crystal ball.  All he really said was the sources are quiet now.  That could mean anything.

I'm not discouraged at all by that.
He still feels IU could be the pick, as his selection remains IU on his crystal ball.  All he really said was the sources are quiet now.  That could mean anything.
Yep

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Here are some other top 10s from 2012 to present that didn't choose a basketball school. Rankings includef

Colin Sexton 2017 Alabama 7

Markelle Fultz 2016 Washington 5

Jonathon Isaac 2016 FSU 8

Ivan Rabb 2015 Cal 7

Henry Ellensen 2015 Marquette 9

Isaiah Austin 2012 Baylor 4

Steve Adams 2012 Pitt 5

1 minute ago, iufaninillinois said:

Here are some other top 10s from 2012 to present that didn't choose a basketball school. Rankings includef

Colin Sexton 2017 Alabama 7

Markelle Fultz 2016 Washington 5

Jonathon Isaac 2016 FSU 8

Ivan Rabb 2015 Cal 7

Henry Ellensen 2015 Marquette 9

Isaiah Austin 2012 Baylor 4

Steve Adams 2012 Pitt 5

Think we know why $exton chose Alabama