Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

3 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Except, it was good journalism. Sources willing to go on record, sound research, relevant, and not inflammatory. Our fans just don’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I guess I just don't see 'the sound research'.  Tim Langford running an Adidas backed AAU team was public knowledge.  The main source going on record is someone suing Adidas who claims to not know anything going on at his own school.....so not sure why his word would be trusted on items going on elsewhere.

I don't have any doubt that Adidas wanted Romeo Langford at an Adidas school.  I'm not sure why it's considered news that a shoe company looks to keep players in their AAU 'stable' of schools.

I guess I just don't see 'the sound research'.  Tim Langford running an Adidas backed AAU team was public knowledge.  The main source going on record is someone suing Adidas who claims to not know anything going on at his own school.....so not sure why his word would be trusted on items going on elsewhere.
I don't have any doubt that Adidas wanted Romeo Langford at an Adidas school.  I'm not sure why it's considered news that a shoe company looks to keep players in their AAU 'stable' of schools.

Because of what is going on in college basketball and it involves a player going to Indiana. Is it illegal? No. Is it a gray area the average person knows about? No. Did people read the article because of above? Yep. It did its job. Also, they aren’t just going off of Pitino’s word. They have his phone records. They quoted those more than him. Again nothing wrong with what the Langford’s did and I don’t necessarily fault them. But to act like it’s not relevant has more to do with our allegiance than anything. Plus they never said Indiana or Langford did anything wrong. It was more informative this was going on. Don’t understand the issue.

About the worst source on the planet, a guy who knows nothing about his own University, but amazingly has great clarity about others.
As far as inflammatory, the writer had to be careful about creating his own legal troubles, but a sentence like In a brief phone interview May 3, Tim Langford professed ignorance  isn't something you'd write if you weren't trying to paint in a negative light.

1) The best sources are the ones involved. Ricky P is arguably the best source on the planet. Not the smartest for putting this out there though. Very easy for a good attorney to pull this out and tear about his credibility when discussing what he does and does not recall.
2) I thought the article read dry and and factual. Professed ignorance is pretty plain commentary if they asked Tim directly about this.

53 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

1) The best sources are the ones involved. Ricky P is arguably the best source on the planet. Not the smartest for putting this out there though. Very easy for a good attorney to pull this out and tear about his credibility when discussing what he does and does not recall.
2) I thought the article read dry and and factual. Professed ignorance is pretty plain commentary if they asked Tim directly about this.

I would interpret this the exact opposite... this is part of big dicky’s legal strategy/scripted in conjunction with his legal team. He wants to create grey area moral equivalency between what adidas did in paying direct cash to Bowen - and those Gatto calls he can’t really recall the topic on, but believes they were probably related to Rozier’s contract renewal not Bowen who committed the next day or so— to adidas paying aau teams, specifically Langford’s. Interesting how sharp the details of the calls and discussions he remembers on the latter stuff but not the former. He’s not only legally battling U of L, but also adidas and obviously the potential of the feds too. This is also a signal to adidas to settle BIG or his selective memory will become very crisp - and put the weight of blame on them. Also to public opinion - blur the emotion - everyone gets paid, what’s the difference how dads aau programs v dads direct getting $$. (Moral equivalency). It’s also a lil box of sht/fu back to IU who’s alum exposed him in the player prostitute scandal. 

Here is why I really think it was shoddy journalism......pretty important quote that Pitino said that they didn't bother to ask about.

“The Dad never asked for a single thing,” Pitino said. “The Mom never asked for a single thing. The kid never asked for a single thing. I thought it was one of the most honest recruitment I’ve seen.”

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Here is why I really think it was shoddy journalism......pretty important quote that Pitino said that they didn't bother to ask about.

“The Dad never asked for a single thing,” Pitino said. “The Mom never asked for a single thing. The kid never asked for a single thing. I thought it was one of the most honest recruitment I’ve seen.”

Right...but the shameless self serving scumbag has no problem whatsoever dragging the L family into the discussion now in order to further his own interest.  They were never anything but on board and loyal to him and U of L until Big Dickey’s sht finally exploded his program making it no longer a viable option.  Not that there was ever any question about his lack of character based on his entire history and multiple egregious actions from the past. But, sheesh - have an ounce of dignity, take your multi-millions, crawl into a hole and leave it, along with unsuspecting kids and their families, alone.

5 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Tim isn't the finance guy. If I ask you about your Dad's finances and you don't know specifically and you say you don't know, you only "profess ignorance" If I'm being a jack-wagon journalist, otherwise I quote you. "I don't know much about my Dad's finances.", Boot said.

Anyway, enough about the profession that's gone the most down hill in the last 20 years.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

It didn't fit the agenda of the writer. 

Yeah, I didn't really see that article as some sort of hit piece or attempt to make it sound like something nefarious happened.  They even included a quote from Pitino that "this is legal too".  I don't think it's surprising to the people that follow college ball, but more informational for those that don't.

10 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Yeah, I didn't really see that article as some sort of hit piece or attempt to make it sound like something nefarious happened.  They even included a quote from Pitino that "this is legal too".  I don't think it's surprising to the people that follow college ball, but more informational for those that don't.

I don't see it as a hit piece, i see it as a big load of nothing, that they are trying to make ultra casual fans think is nefarious, rare, unexpected and unheard of. 

My Kentucky friend texted me today about Indiana sweating it  for a while, because adidas paid Romeo's dad so he'd go to Indiana.

The problem is, even the most diehard, educated fans probably didn't read the whole article (I know I didn't; that thing was loooonngggg). I know it got plenty of traction on social media and I noticed a handful of comments along the lines of "I knew it! I knew they cheated to get Langford!" That's what makes an article like this so annoying.

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The problem is, even the most diehard, educated fans probably didn't read the whole article (I know I didn't; that thing was loooonngggg). I know it got plenty of traction on social media and I noticed a handful of comments along the lines of "I knew it! I knew they cheated to get Langford!" That's what makes an article like this so annoying.

True.  Not only are several key quotes ignored (about it being legal. the Langfords approaching the recruitment totally above board, and no evidence that Tim pocketed excess money) - but you have a lot of people then reading into it what they hope and making massive jumps in logic (and presenting it as fact).  Mostly the later by jealous opposing fanbases.

44 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

True.  Not only are several key quotes ignored (about it being legal. the Langfords approaching the recruitment totally above board, and no evidence that Tim pocketed excess money) - but you have a lot of people then reading into it what they hope and making massive jumps in logic (and presenting it as fact).  Mostly the later by jealous opposing fanbases.

It didn't ignore the quote about being legal, that is in the article.  Fans of opposing teams may, but nothing the journalist can do about that.

All the article is doing is shedding a light on something that happens in recruiting.  Some here are reading way too much into it.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

That's my main problem....you look at the headline alone:  "Before this hoops recruit chose Indiana, Adidas made sure he stayed under its tent" reads as if Adidas was steering him toward Indiana, which isn't the case.  Adidas certainly wanted him to go to an Adidas school....there are 102 of them in Division 1 basketball.  

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

That's my main problem....you look at the headline alone:  "Before this hoops recruit chose Indiana, Adidas made sure he stayed under its tent" reads as if Adidas was steering him toward Indiana, which isn't the case.  Adidas certainly wanted him to go to an Adidas school....there are 102 of them in Division 1 basketball.  

The headline says exactly that - Romeo chose Indiana, but Adidas made sure he stayed within Adidas. 

5 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

The headline says exactly that - Romeo chose Indiana, but Adidas made sure he stayed within Adidas. 

But why mention Indiana and then run a big pic underneath it of him with an Indiana hat?

i think we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

But why mention Indiana and then run a big pic underneath it of him with an Indiana hat?
i think we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Because that was the point of the article? Adidas made sure he went to an Adidas school? We knew about Adidas doing this for over a year. Maybe closer to two. It was known Tim Langford was shopping his AAU team. It’s legal. I don’t blame him. I have never filed for bankruptcy, but if I did and I could do something not illegal (assuming he filed his taxes accordingly) I would. I don’t give a rats @$$ how people interpret it. That’s on them if they believe their team hasn’t or wouldn’t do this. He took money for his family to stay with Adidas. His dad pocketed $50-$75k easy. Until they close up the loophole there is nothing wrong with it.