Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

Indiana v. Minnesota - Post Game Thread

A few thoughts...

- I knew this game was coming. I didn't know if it was going to be against Illinois, Northwestern or Minnesota at home, but I knew we'd mail one in. Particularly on defense. I am quite surprised we won the game after the under 4:00 timeout.

- 2nd Half defense was absolutely horrendous. We consistently played over the screens while leaving the lane wide open. we were allowing our center to be taken from outside the lane by a couple of offensively-limited project bigs. And we let up lay-up after lay-up. Over and over again. The whole second half. By Nate Mason and Kevin Dorsey. Who? extremely poor scheme and extremely poor effort in the second half. Very, very disappointed with that.

- Our transition defense was every bit as poor, too. We have one player (whose name I will omit to protect the guilty) who simply puts very little effort into transition defense. And he's got so much potential. His box score makes it look like he was okay today, but I thought he was completely ineffcient today. But he's not the only one. How many times where we caught jogging back on defense. GET BACK!!! GET IN FRONT OF YOUR MAN!!!

- Offensively, we've started a new play where we make some nice drives to the lane, then proceed to pass it to someone who is defended well. And the movement stalls. And the offense stalls. we also reverted back to some old habits of standing around for 8-10 seconds before even starting a play. That's definitely not our strength and is a recipe for disaster.

- We shot poorly from 3. But that wasn't why we almost lost. Bad shooting games happen. They just do. They weren't falling today. If we had played even "okay" second half defense, we would have won by at least 12-15 points.

- Bryant had a good offensive game. Played strong today. He established his position well. Corrected a few mistakes as the game progressed. I like his 8 rebounds, too. Defensively, he still needs to continue moving his feet. Footwork, in genral. Not quick enough to be an elite defender at this level. But with work, that can improve.

- Amazing we only had 11 turnovers today. It felt like double that amount.

- Minnesota out-hustled us so much in the second half. Up until the 2:00 mark, at least. Very disappointing that happened to us at home.

- Wanna know one reason why OG doesn't start? OG isn't comfortable driving the lane on a consistent basis. He passed up multiple opportunities today. Going to have to improve on that.

- But they won. And that's the most important stat of all. A loss could have absolutely destroyed this season. Perception-wise, it would have eliminated all the hype IU had earned starting out 7-0. But they won. 8-1 through nine games is good with the schedule as it is. I'll take it.

- There are so many ups and downs during the Big Ten season for every team. Very interested to see how we respond on Tuesday. February basketball begins.

Troy needs to stop falling away from the basket on his layups.  I know Troy is programmed one way and it will be hard to fix but he would have a lot better chance of 1) making the layup and 2) getting fouled with a chance at an and one.  It frustrates me to watch him try to get those layups to go while he is falling to the sideline. 

I will NEVER understand why Troy ever touches the ball at the top of the key. Single handedly almost the reason we lost today. It is sickening.

Being a bit dramatic aren't you? 2 for1,267,653 from behind the arc didn't help. Poor interior defense didn't help. While I hate "out-of-control" Troy there is more to barely winning than him.

Being a bit dramatic aren't you? 2 for1,267,653 from behind the arc didn't help. Poor interior defense didn't help. While I hate "out-of-control" Troy there is more to barely winning than him.

no. In the games we've won lately, less Troy handling the ball and more baseline. What did we see today? Troy getting the ball at the top in key situations when yogi would usually have it. I don't think it's a coincidence

I agree but during our winning streak we saw very little of Troy initiating the offense from top of the key. Our last two games we have seen this come back. I like Troy from the baseline or the wing but not the top.

no. In the games we've won lately, less Troy handling the ball and more baseline. What did we see today? Troy getting the ball at the top in key situations when yogi would usually have it. I don't think it's a coincidence

I don't disagree with the fact that TW is a horrible ball-handler. However, I disagree with the fact that he single handily almost lost this game.

Troy's regression has been unfortunate. Remember all those VO comparisons? OG is closer to that. His "finesse" game around the rim is soft. Rojo ended last year poorly and has not improved. I think he needs some perspective (bench). Our frosh have been a godsend, along with Max they bring energy and athleticism. Hoping the poor shooting was an anomaly. Let's regroup, get better and beat UM. Go Hoosiers.

I don't disagree with the fact that TW is a horrible ball-handler. However, I disagree with the fact that he single handily almost lost this game.

I probably overreacted after the game, emotions were running high because I expected much better. I do agree our transition defense was terrible today, but the fact that we went away from what was working on offense to letting Troy initiate the offense is what got me the most worked up. My apologies

I probably overreacted after the game, emotions were running high because I expected much better. I do agree our transition defense was terrible today, but the fact that we went away from what was working on offense to letting Troy initiate the offense is what got me the most worked up. My apologies

Keep in mind also that Troy and the team do not decide to do this on their own. While he is frustrating initiating the offense my frustration is directed at another when he keeps doing that.

Keep in mind also that Troy and the team do not decide to do this on their own. While he is frustrating initiating the offense my frustration is directed at another when he keeps doing that.

never said it was his fault. Just pointing out what I see

The end of season swoon doesn't just mean losses. It means playing like crap. The team lost to Wisconsin and played terrible in a win vs Minnesota. We will find out if the swoon has officially started next week. Thankfully, Crean has done well vs Michigan. Lose that game though and it could mean trouble the rest of the way.