Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

incrediboy

Dakich: Blackmon couldn't guard a chair

DD isn't wrong but something about an old man bashing college kids irks me. These kids aren't pros who make money off of playing ball. Just a douchebag move IMO

a basketball commentator doing a basketball game can't be critical of bad play when he sees it? Yes you are right they are not pros but they are playing basketball at a big time college program nothing wrong with voicing a opinion on there play imo. This isn't grade school basketball for Petes sake lol

Look, I don't care if people agree with Dakich or not. I happen to most of the time, but that's not the point.

This is a guy who knows more about this program - the one we all care about - than almost anyone in the world. He's got 100x more invested in it than any of us. He comments on our games FAR differently than others because he's emotionally invested.

Some folks need to grow much thicker skins. These aren't true "kids" he's criticizing. They're young men; and many are coddled, self-centered, entitled brats. When he says "Blackmon couldn't guard a chair," that's a coach talking to a kid trying to motivate him. And you know what? Blackmon's defense is awful. So is Ferrell's, and he pointed that out, too. Calling him an "old man bashing college kids" is just laughable. He has a college aged kid, and he ain't that old. He and every "old man" who's still of working age, a partcipating parent, and active in life has every right in the world to be critical because they have wisdom, knowledge, and recent experience. It would do some young people very well to listen and stop labeling people as "old" if they happen to be older than you are. Get rid of the ego and get over whatever offended you. "Old men" are frequently absolutely right. And you will be, too. I've learned a lot from "old men," and I'm smart enough to seek them out. Dakich is one - if I were a college player - I'd listen to. Leaving whatever you think his ego is out of it, the man gets it, and he's absolutely right FAR more often than he's wrong.

When he says someone quit on a play....he's right. They did. And Indiana fans (and former players, alums, etc) know it's complete crap to play that way.

When he comments about Indiana trying to trick people...he's right. They do. Crean does. And they're horrible at it. It hurts them. He cares.

He IS bitter about IU, and not just because he didn't get the job. He's said many of the same things I have over the years. The focus has come off of what made Indiana great while he was there as a player and a coach, and he's sad to see it go downhill the way it has. I would be too. He's commented many times on Indiana's recruiting budget, and he questions, like I do, why Crean doesn't spend 90% of his time within 200 miles of Bloomington. He wonders why Indiana needs to spend $700,000 on recruiting which is twice more than ANY other Big Ten team, and 10x more than Wisconsin! And you know what? Those are legitimate, fair, reasonable points. He knows it doesn't have to be that way, and he has said frequently it has netted Indiana next to nothing while bringing in a few kids who tarnished the program and Crean with it. Meanwhile, in West Lafayette.....

He understands WHY Indiana Basketball is what it is and was a big part of it getting to that point. Anyone begrudges him for being a little bitter, go talk to Brian Evans, Kent Benson, Scott May, Tom Abernathy, Jim Thomas, Steve Eyl, Joe Hillman about it. They're bitter, too. They just don't have a radio show.

Dakich isn't full of himself. Dakich gives a damn. And I love him for it. Yes, he's old school; but think about who his mentor was. He also has a dad who he frequently praises for being tough on him. Good for Dad. Good for Dan. The world needs more tough love. We have enough "soft."

Sounds like a man of similar age that didn't like the "old" label . Some men of more experienced years do know more then young people. However to say they are right more often then not is a joke, especially on things that are opinions. On the point of dakich he has more experience in Basketball then a lot of people on here, and I'm fine with him commentating how he does because he lived the life of a college ball player and can criticize because of it.

Sounds like a man of similar age that didn't like the "old" label . Some men of more experienced years do know more then young people. However to say they are right more often then not is a joke, especially on things that are opinions. On the point of dakich he has more experience in Basketball then a lot of people on here, and I'm fine with him commentating how he does because he lived the life of a college ball player and can criticize because of it.

Experience is the best teacher in the world.     Dakich has been inside this program.  He knows the history, the mentality, the people, the reasons, where the bodies are buried, the mistakes, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  When it comes to Indiana basketball, he knows far more than any of us, and that's a simple fact of life.  Denying that is naive and completely idiotic.  As is denying that experienced people know more and are right when they speak from that experience most of the time.

And he's several years older than I am.  

Experience is the best teacher in the world. And I know damned well I've both chosen great mentors and provided great mentoring to those younger than I am. The circle of life is real, and it's not going to stop being real. Those who teach from experience are absolutely right FAR more often than not. Dakich has been inside this program. He knows the history, the mentality, the people, the reasons, where the bodies are buried, the mistakes, the good, the bad, and the ugly. When it comes to Indiana basketball, he knows far more than any of us, and that's a simple fact of life. Denying that is naive and completely idiotic. As is denying that experienced people know more than inexperienced people. When you're interviewing for your next job with someone more experienced than you are, see how far you get telling him/her how much of a joke it is that most experienced people know more than inexperienced people.

I completely agreed with your thoughts on Dakich, I just said that just because you have lived longer doesn't mean you're more experienced in everything. Dakich has great experience in basketball and should have his views on basketball respected for it, but that doesn't mean he can tell a 30 year old ex volleyball player things about volleyball just because he's older. Speak from experience not age.