Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

drewheck

Antonio Allen

At some point, and I wish I knew when that was, Fred Glass has to be accountable for the BS going on within his athletic department.    His seat HAS to be getting very, very hot.  Is anyone in his office asking what the hell is going on and why we keep seeing arrests and drug problems throughout his most visible entities?    I see no accountability with admin or coaches.    Enough is enough.

I don't really have words to express my outrage.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2015/06/16/iu-football-player-allen-arrested-on-charges-of-dealing-drugs/28845107/

Antonio Allen released on bond, then dismissed from IU football team

1402497911000-woods.jpg David Woods, david.woods@indystar.com 5:56 p.m. EDT June 17, 2015
635700933345452293-Allen.jpgBuy Photo

(Photo: Charlie Nye / The Star)

Indiana State Police have video of Indiana University football player Antonio Allen selling drugs to an informant, according to court documents released Wednesday.

Police subsequently executed a search warrant at his apartment in the 400 block of E. 19th Street in Bloomington. They reported that they found a Colt .45 handgun, 47 grams of cocaine, 13 grams of heroin, three half-smoked blunts and $920 in cash.

Allen was arrested Tuesday while leaving Memorial Stadium – which is within a block of his apartment – and charged with dealing cocaine and with dealing heroin (over 10 grams) with a firearm. Both are Level 2 felonies. He also was charged with dealing methamphetamine, a lesser charge.

Allen was dismissed from the team Wednesday after he was released from Monroe County Jail on a $75,000 surety bond and $1,000 cash bond.

Allen has been one of the Hoosiers' top defensive players. The 20-year-old is a safety who led Indiana in tackles last season with 74, including 45 solo tackles.

He was about to enter his junior season.

According to court documents, state police worked with an informant who purchased drugs from Allen on two occasions in exchange for $620 and $770 in cash. Police supplied the informant with an audio/video recording device.

In the first instance, the informant told police four or five other people were in the apartment where the purchase of heroin and meth was made. The informant said it was Allen's apartment.

In the video, Allen is seen "counting out the money, weighing up the narcotics and handing them to the informant," according to a court document.

Allen can be seen receiving money from the informant in the second incident, according to the document.

Police said the $920 found in Allen's apartment is part of the cash given to him by the police informant.

The informant was subsequently taken to jail as well. The informant allegedly took some of the meth from the drug buy and hid it in his vehicle instead of turning all of it over to police.

The warrant for Allen's arrest was for allegedly dealing narcotic drugs — specifically, methamphetamine — and the additional charges were added later, the jail spokesman said.

As of July 1, 2014, those convicted of a Level 2 felony in Indiana may be sentenced to 10 to 30 years in prison.

Allen was a featured member of the Hoosiers' touted 2013 recruiting class and played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. He is a graduate of Ben Davis High School.

This is the third off-field incident involving an IU football player in the past three months. Defensive tackle Ralph Green III was arrested in April on charges of battery, public intoxication and disorderly conduct. Wide receiver Isaac Griffith was arrested last month on charges of driving while intoxicated.

Earlier Tuesday, before his arrest, Allen posted a photo on Instagram of him being featured on the cover of a Big Ten 2015 preview magazine. The accompanying caption reads:

"If you knew (where) I came from and all the trouble I was in when I was younger you can see I did a 360 and I am BLESSED thank you GOD."

Call Star reporter David Woods at (317) 444-6195 or e-mail david.woods@indystar.com. Follow him on Twitter: @DavidWoods007.

Does anyone else think that a $1,000 cash bond for someone charged with his crimes is a little too cheap?   IF, he is a dealer in cocaine and heroin as he's been charged, $1,000 in cash is nothing and he's already back on the streets. 

How about the dumbass informant trying to gyp some of the meth. Lol idiot. I actually chuckled.

My mind instantly went to one of the sketchy townies when picturing the scenario hahaha.

Quoteth Antonio Allen on Snapchat:

"If you knew (where) I came from and all the trouble I was in when I was younger you can see I did a 360 and I am BLESSED thank you GOD."

Ahhhh, irony, 'tis a beautiful thing.

Have the snapchat names of any of the other football/basketball players?

Does anyone else think that a $1,000 cash bond for someone charged with his crimes is a little too cheap?   IF, he is a dealer in cocaine and heroin as he's been charged, $1,000 in cash is nothing and he's already back on the streets. 

are we talking bail or bond?

if his bond is 1000...then he is walking the streets with somebody forking over a Benjamin Franklin...

if his bail is 1000...then he is walking the streets with 10 Benjamin Franklins...

either way...this dude is walking far too easily...

At some point, and I wish I knew when that was, Fred Glass has to be accountable for the BS going on within his athletic department.    His seat HAS to be getting very, very hot.  Is anyone in his office asking what the hell is going on and why we keep seeing arrests and drug problems throughout his most visible entities?    I see no accountability with admin or coaches.    Enough is enough.

Alright, I'm not exactly seeing what you think FG and staff ought to do. Until they know there is a problem they can't do anything about it. So the only problem I know of, is the swept under the rug drug tests for the basketball team. As far as other issues, I have never seen any other info that says they had prior knowledge that would require action. If Allen's drug dealing was known to the AD or coaches, and they ignored it, then you have a point, but I doubt he was declaring it to the staff. So in all three arrests with the football team here lately, I can only see post-incident action as being appropriate. If they had prior knowledge of the problems, then there is a issue. While the AD and coaches do have responsibility to keep an eye out on things, young adults learn that the rules can be worked around with a little keeping your mouth shut and keeping things out of sight.

Its not like this is all something new that has popped up under FG and the current coaching staff's. Although I don't recall dealing meth coming up before, drugs and alcohol have been part of college athletics (and college in general) for a long time and IU is no exception. It seems to me that the AD is dealing with these situations pretty swiftly and firmly at this point.

If they've got him on video selling the drugs, why would the prosecutor offer a plea deal? It seems like it will be a pretty easy case for the State to win. I'm not a lawyer though so I'm sure there's reasons behind offering a plea, if one is eventually offered.

Basketball, football, baseball, it doesn't matter. If you recruit players with questionable backgrounds and habits, you're going to eventually get burnt. We already have in the basketball program, and now we have in the football program. These incidents are on the coaches and the AD, pure and simple. We've become the freakin' Baltimore Ravens of college athletics. 

I don't feel sorry for Antonio Allen, one damned bit. He's just another punk who wasted his talent, wasted his life and wasted everyone else's time. Now he can be a world class organ grinder in jail with a cell name of "Tallulah".

Next...

If they've got him on video selling the drugs, why would the prosecutor offer a plea deal? It seems like it will be a pretty easy case for the State to win. I'm not a lawyer though so I'm sure there's reasons behind offering a plea, if one is eventually offered.

• To guarantee a conviction, because ya never know what jurors might do.
  • To avoid the testimony of an informant who will have his credibility tested.
  • To avoid cross examination of the police's practices. They will get their credibility tested too.
  • To gain Allen's cooperation against Allen's supplier and co-conspirators.
  • To save State Attorney Office and law enforcement time, resources, and money that can now be used toward other cases.

I'm concerned that it said Allen's roommates were present for one of the drug deals. I'm assuming he lives with football players.

Also, unpopular opinion time: while I wholeheartedly agree this is an awful look for the program and should be avoided at all costs, I'm fine taking on a couple of risky personalities who can elevate the team to the next level.

Basketball, football, baseball, it doesn't matter. If you recruit players with questionable backgrounds and habits, you're going to eventually get burnt. We already have in the basketball program, and now we have in the football program. These incidents are on the coaches and the AD, pure and simple. We've become the freakin' Baltimore Ravens of college athletics. 

Yes, we are going to be burnt. But I am not aware that any info has been shown that there were any red flags that would have given the AD or coaches reason to take a pass. If Allen's dad was a known dealer/user, that's all nice and fine, but you don't pass on the player because of his parent's decision. Griffith seemed pretty squeaky clean, and yet we have two incidents with him. Heck, if the truth is known, most teen's have some questionable decisions in their background. 

No, these decision's are purely on the players. They are legally adults, able to make their own decisions, and the responsibility rests purely on them. It only falls on the staff if they were aware, or if they are not making any effort to be aware of the activities of athletes.

We will get burnt again, no question about it. We will take chances on young men and women here and there and give them the opportunity. Some of them will squander that opportunity. Some of them will take advantage of the opportunity build upon it.

I don't want to see us sell out on character for athletic success, but I have no problem with taking a chance on someone if there is reason to believe that they will make the best of it. Some will work out, some won't.