Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierPT

I want Tom Crean to stay

Which teams win their conference championship more than 25% of the time?

I fear that most self-professed "Crean haters" have an unattainable threshold for success.

I have not seen many people with this expectation.   I think a better question is "what coaches are in the conversation every year," and the answers are Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo, and Thad Matta.   Doesn't Indiana deserve to be in that group of schools/coaches?   

I have not seen many people with this expectation. I think a better question is "what coaches are in the conversation every year," and the answers are Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo, and Thad Matta. Doesn't Indiana deserve to be in that group of schools/coaches?

I was replying to the poster who said he has only won one BIG title in 4 years.

I think Crean is in the conversation with Ryan and Matta. Izzo is in his own class. Ryan and Matta are not in his class.

I fear that most self-professed "Crean haters" have an unattainable threshold for success.

Since 2000 Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky have won their conference/tournament 25% of the time of greater.

I'm not a Crean "hater" but I want IU on or with hese schools. If somehow Crean can pull it off excellent, though his history says he can't. If we need to make a change, then when the timing is right for a can't miss guy (STEVENS), we need to make the move.

What makes you qualified to be the judge of who is capable? Not you personally, but I keep getting told I don't have good enough reasons to keep Crean. What makes other fans qualified to say he is not qualified but a guy who had success in the MVC is?

Well this is a bottom line business. Even if we forget for an instant this is Indiana, what company that wants to be on top concerns themselves with organizations that would be perceived equal at this point and time? Well, everyone from that standpoint. How do companies stuck in a lull for the better part of a decade improve? They make changes at the top or in approach. Are we going to do either? I personally doubt it. If the answers are yes we will see it. It's not about qualifications. It's about common sense and approaching this situation from an every day standpoint.

Seroiusly?

Anyway, Miller Marshall and Stevens are publicly out or have been extended. Who is your guy now? Anyone but Crean right?

Seriously. Why wouldn't the learning on the job comment have applied to Crean? Marquette isn't Indiana and he didn't recruit on the same level there. Plus he hasn't shown he can win consistently so he should be still learning or we are in serious trouble.

Coaches have switched jobs after being "publicly out or extended" before.

Bucks said contend, didn't say anything about winning it more than 25% of the time. We have only been in contention once since the rebuild was over. Expecting to contend more than once every four years isn't too high of exptectations

I was replying to the poster who said he has only won one BIG title in 4 years.

I think Crean is in the conversation with Ryan and Matta. Izzo is in his own class. Ryan and Matta are not in his class.

He was only in contention 1 out of 4 years. That did not meet your standard of being in contention every year.

He was only in contention 1 out of 4 years. That did not meet your standard of being in contention every year.

This. Also with the fact that the players show little discipline. Off court issues for 6; and the number of turnovers that are committed.

The majority have left because they can realistically see their playing time is not going to be what they want. It's a highly competitive program atmosphere. I don't think many realize that not everyone of these coaches are into development like Crean. Indiana is getting after it on skill. They are teaching skill. Probably the biggest cause of the bad basketball in college right now. Too many teams just roll the balls out and rely on individual talents.

Luke got homesick, and apparently didn't have the heart to stick up for himself.

Mostly, guys want more opportunity too early. I loved Max's potential, but he wasn't ready for major minutes.

Very, very few of the transfers have been in Crean's hands. Maybe 1 or 2 of the early kids like Capobianco and Muniru. You know, back when he came here and for months couldn't go watch recruits in person because of Kelvin. Kids he signed during that period of time.

Going back to the op, if the players are leaving either on their own accord or being shown the door by Crean, you can not say IU today is a destination, I can't think of one program which could be claimed as a destination as described by the op. 

Crean has had some success in developing some players, but has failed miserably with others, and it isn't merely limited to Capobianco and Muniru. Several of his recruits have decided to leave and demonstrated very little if any improvement while under Crean's tutelage.

Brad Stevens on a move back to college: "I'll be in Boston."

Can we move on now? Crean is coming back, as he should.

FWIW, that was his response to the Texas rumors. The question wasn't "your thoughts on going back to college?" 

You guys that want to keep Crean. What are your expectations next year if we land Bryant and Thon?

I don't want to keep Crean either, but we're not getting both.  Maker is not coming to Indiana, and Bryant said he's interested in Kentucky, so I think that looks like a reach at this point, too.   But....if we DID get both, nothing short of a Big Ten title and deep run in the tournament would be acceptable, especially if to make room for those two, the "right" two guys (Priller and April) were to leave.

I can see why other Crean supporters are quiet. This site has made up its mind.

We are a top 5 program and anyone who can't win at that level is below us. This place recruits itself. We are Indiana. Every coach would love to have this job (ridiculous fan base notwithstanding). When we won it was because or the players (who developed themselves) and when we lose it is on Crean. Players don't come here because of Crean (or they do in spite of him) and when they leave it's because they were Creaned. Wade fell in Crean's lap and Zeller felt sorry for Crean. I've heard it all.

I choose to be positive and build on what we have. I think the pieces are in place. I'm confident the like-minded trustees and Glass agree, and their opinion is really all that matters.

I choose to be positive and build on what we have.

I have a small issue with this. Plenty of posters on here are positive but aren't convinced Crean is the answer from here on out. Just because one has a differing opinion on who should be coach doesn't automatically make their view negative.

I can see why other Crean supporters are quiet. This site has made up its mind.

We are a top 5 program and anyone who can't win at that level is below us. This place recruits itself. We are Indiana. Every coach would love to have this job (ridiculous fan base notwithstanding). When we won it was because or the players (who developed themselves) and when we lose it is on Crean. Players don't come here because of Crean (or they do in spite of him) and when they leave it's because they were Creaned. Wade fell in Crean's lap and Zeller felt sorry for Crean. I've heard it all.

I choose to be positive and build on what we have. I think the pieces are in place. I'm confident the like-minded trustees and Glass agree, and their opinion is really all that matters.

This site has actually been very positive dominant until this last season. People finally got tired of being mediocre and now want a change.