Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

IUBB vs WSU Postgame :( Thread

Part of the problem is because we play such shoddy defense and  don't know how to get in front of the opponent and use our hands instead of moving our feet on defense.

Thank you, I needed that.  Frustrating loss.

Our FT defense was horrible and WSU can make FTs.

I'm not even that mad about losing this game.  At about 7 minutes let I said I had seen this play out before and it happened like the other 10+ times this season.

I always dig at teams like Baylor, SEC teams, St. Johns, etc. because they make dumb basketball mistakes.  We have become like those teams.  When you dribble around out of control and then hope a teammate will bail you out that is a dumb basketball move.  Hi Yogi, Hi Troy.  RoJo is a frosh but it's the end of the season, hold onto the ball.  JBJ you're an excellent shooter when you're set, don't rush your shot and hold onto the ball.  Why are we making the same mistakes at the end of the season that we did at the beginning of the season.  Good teams become better as the season goes on we peaked early in the B1G season and have played like trash to close the season out.  We have seen this over and over and over again.  There isn't one rotational player on this team that isn't capable of playing defense or playing smart but like their head coach they are frantic and lack consistency.  It's old, players and coach need changes.

Nope. Never has been. Take Troy and Vic. Prob a push on athletics. Troy is taller. Who is the better defender? Why?

Ability is absolutely part of the equation on defense.  Attitude and 'want to' are part of it, a big part, but there is more to it.

Hulls tried on defense, and his intelligence let him be a pretty good off-ball/help defender but he was limited on ball because of athleticism.  His defensive struggles had nothing to do with desire to play that end.

If he cared about teaching defense then why are we so bad at it. The only other explanation is that all the players are physically incapable of playing defense. I have a hard time believing that Indiana doesn't have or can get the athletes to play good defense.

Maybe Crean just isn't much of a defensive coach?  I've posted the defensive rankings of his teams going back to 2002 before, and aside from a few seasons defense was never a strong point of his teams.

Ability is absolutely part of the equation on defense.  Attitude and 'want to' are part of it, a big part, but there is more to it.

Hulls tried on defense, and his intelligence let him be a pretty good off-ball/help defender but he was limited on ball because of athleticism.  His defensive struggles had nothing to do with desire to play that end.

Maybe Crean just isn't much of a defensive coach?  I've posted the defensive rankings of his teams going back to 2002 before, and aside from a few seasons defense was never a strong point of his teams.

That's the problem with focusing on offense. With a team that plays offense and no defense, you win (or come close) when the shots are falling, but fail miserably when they don't.

However, if you play lock down defense, there is no reliance on the shots falling. Defense is consistent. Learn the fundamentals and put in the effort.

Sadly, I see very little defensive effort from anyone when evaluating the season as a whole.

That's the problem with focusing on offense. With a team that plays offense and no defense, you win (or come close) when the shots are falling, but fail miserably when they don't.

However, if you play lock down defense, there is no reliance on the shots falling. Defense is consistent. Learn the fundamentals and put in the effort.

Sadly, I see very little defensive effort from anyone when evaluating the season as a whole.

This X 100,000,000

Troy 2-10, 2 TOs

JBJ 4-11, 5 TOs

RoJo 2-6, 1 TO

8-27 or 30% and 8 TOs from your supporting cast.  That's not going to get it done. 

There it is.

They started well but and looked confident. WSU was gassed and we had a chance to go up big to end the half. We gave that up and in the second half they adjusted and forced our offense to stall.

Too many times this happens to IU down the stretch.