Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FortWayneHoosier

IU vs. MSU Postgame

I thought you said you were done defending him?

This was supposed to be the kind of team he wanted, it was supposed to be the year he proved his coaching mettle.  We read that on this board all off-season.  The result?  An 8th place finish in a year where the B1G is down.  If that's demonstrating his coaching ability then this program is not in good hands.  If he's proven anything, he's proven his detractors right.

This was supposed to be the year Devin Davis led us in rebounding.... and junkyard dog play...

This was supposed to be the year Devin Davis led us in rebounding.... and junkyard dog play...

On a case by case basis like this you can always find a what if. The problem is all programs have what ifs and yet manage to overcome those.

When you have these year after year after year either you have incredibly bad luck or some other problems.

@CJDischinger: @retrojay23 huge fan. Swam for Hoosiers. Very much not a knee jerk fan. His is 7yrs & I know he treats his players from those close to team

@CJDischinger: @retrojay23 these players DO NOT like him. That's where you are way off. That is 100% fact. Trust me on that.

Interesting...

Should have spent more time in English class and less time in the pool.

The general manager needs to do a better job of finding players that mesh we'll together, I mean what is Crean supposed to do

This isn't pro sports, we don't have a general manager and Neither Cody, Noah nor Luke were required to stay.

I thought you said you were done defending him?

This was supposed to be the kind of team he wanted, it was supposed to be the year he proved his coaching mettle. We read that on this board all off-season. The result? An 8th place finish in a year where the B1G is down. If that's demonstrating his coaching ability then this program is not in good hands. If he's proven anything, he's proven his detractors right.

This is the team he wanted? Uh, don't think so. Vonleh, Devin Davis, Fischer. Not excuses, realities.

The team has lost too many games they should have won, could have won with a decent effort on defense, late in the year. But overall, this team performed to its capabilities for the most part. The credit can't always go to "talent." As Izzo said, there are so many things people just don't know about...

Is the difference between 8th and 2nd really all that much? The B1G is down as you stated. Plus it's win the league or bust right?

If Stevens were available at the moment, that would be a different conversation. I don't think IU will fire him yet, but I could see him leaving.

On a case by case basis like this you can always find a what if. The problem is all programs have what ifs and yet manage to overcome those.

When you have these year after year after year either you have incredibly bad luck or some other problems.

They all manage to overcome them?

I don't think we can blame the defense on the players and their effort at this point. Can you blame a bad defensive performance in an isolated game on the players effort? Sure. But not an entire seasons worth. This team consistently plays defense straight up and down, rarely is in a defensive stance, almost always has their hands down at their sides, consistently turns their heads away from the ball, and when they're not doing that turns their heads from their own man.

Ball-You-Man is a foreign concept to these guys. At some point that's not player effort, that's coaching. We put no pressure on the other team defensively whatsoever. Obviously, I don't see what goes on in practice or the film room, but watching the games it seems there is very little emphasis on defense. I can't recall seeing a player pulled and then chewed out because of poor defense. Can anyone else?

The lack of improvement defensively from the start of the year to now is coaching.

completely true. I would chew someone's ass off for the D lapses we have on every other possession. Sit them. He either doesn't recognize it or doesn't know how to discipline it.

he makes zero adjustments

This is the faith crusher for me. Over the last 12 game skid he hasn't made a single adjustment. How anyone can be fine with that, I don't understand. I have no faith that we will succeed with him as the coach because of this fact alone. We will continue to lose games because he never makes an adjustment. How can he promise anything better for the future with the same old worn out offense and 0 defense?

They all manage to overcome them?

Let's also look at Michigan. They have lost a ton of guys to the NBA the last couple of years. Not five star guys that were likely headed there but guys like Vic that surprised and went early. Then this year they lose their two best players for more of the year and a had a few more injuries on top of that.

Where did they finish? Only 2 games behind us.

It frustrated me seeing a guy like Travis Trice play good D today. If anything, he smaller and less athletic than guys like JBJ and RoJo and certainly less athletic and of slighter frame than Yogi. It was all about effort and knowing what to do. Effort can be blamed on the players for an isolated game here and there, but a seasons worth of bad effort is on the coach.

completely true. I would chew someone's ass off for the D lapses we have on every other possession. Sit them. He either doesn't recognize it or doesn't know how to discipline it.

This is the faith crusher for me. Over the last 12 game skid he hasn't made a single adjustment. How anyone can be fine with that, I don't understand. I have no faith that we will succeed with him as the coach because of this fact alone. We will continue to lose games because he never makes an adjustment. How can he promise anything better for the future with the same old worn out offense and 0 defense?

I surely don't see much promise. I am seriously searching for a reason that someone would want to have him as our coach. The only thing I can come up with is the fear of change. I think people are afraid we will somehow end up with a Davis or Sampson 2.0. If you never take chances in life you stagnate and wither away, which is fine if you are 85 and content with your life. I sure hope IU isn't content with 5 banners and the accomplishments of the past.

We need a strong basketball coach. And I don't give a rip if he has the charisma of Bill Belichick as long as he can coach like him.