Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FortWayneHoosier

IU vs. MSU Postgame

Thats what I said all year last year and all this year. Dakich said it over and over again during the game. Why can't we try to press earlier in the game? Michigan St couldnt handle it when we pressed and played pressure D

Bc CTC feels the need that we HAVE to be in that ***** 2-3 zone and every now and then try to mix it up halfway through the same possession, switch to man to man. It's pretty obvious, that zone is S***

I disagree 100%. How you finish does play a large role. Its fresh in voters minds and how your team reacts when more pressure is on should matter. Also mutliple announcers have said that they've spoken with committee members and they say it does matter. They do look at the whole body of work but if you have two teams with similar resumes but one finished strong and one finished weak how do you not take the one with a better finish?

Jerry Palm says otherwise, and I also saw an interview with the head of the committee last year who said they look at entire body of work, how you finish the season isn't a factor.

Jerry Palm @jppalmCBS  ·  8h 8 hours ago

hasn't been a factor for seveal years now. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25079791/bracketology-what-data-is-relevant-and-what-isnt  RT @ToddIckow: Is it really more important how you finish the season?

That's what many posters said on this very board. Also said Crean would have a chance to prove his coaching ability, and after starting off 15-4 we finish slightly better than predicted; if it was a chance to prove his ability it doesn't look good. Of course, not long ago posters on this board were saying they wanted Kentucky in the tournament. It's not a guarantee we'll even make the tournament, far from it, we're a bubble team and the committee does look at how you finish the year.

Those are realities AND excuses. At the end of the day every coach deals with injuries and players leaving early. Hell, we just lost to a team with one of their best players out due to injury.

Defense has been an issue all season long and really hasn't gotten any better, like another poster said this team is fundamentally bad on defense. At some point it's no longer on the players, but the coaches. When the same issues keep popping up, I look at the coaches.

I can't believe anyone still has faith in this guy as coach, and not long ago you said yourself you were done defending him. Obviously not. Do you have a personal, invested interest in Crean or do you just get off on thinking you know more than everyone?

There is only one coach, maybe, you fire him for now. That coach isn't interested at the moment. It's really just beginning. I'm not against a change, but it sure would look weak. The names that IU is allegedly interested in: Smart, Bennett, Miller.. Are they really going to be that much of an upgrade? This team has played a horrible style of basketball since Purdue, and it is ridiculous. It's pathetic. But it isn't the norm under Crean if you have just look at his career. When guys go hard, it's sharp. This team hung on for a while, but they have leadership still developing and they don't have enough physical bodies.

The point is, this cycle of firing coaches isn't a smart business to get into. Especially when there's little reason to get rid of the coach. Get a freakin backbone...If Indiana was anything close to a championship program, it would be reasonable to be outraged at the last two seasons. But don't forget where we were and where we have been very recently. Coaches are fired far too early in this day and age. This situation is different, too, since IU started over. And then started over again. Unfortunately 2013 class hasn't quite had the commitment of 2009...

Jerry Palm says otherwise, and I also saw an interview with the head of the committee last year who said they look at entire body of work, how you finish the season isn't a factor.

Jerry Palm @jppalmCBS · 8h 8 hours ago

hasn't been a factor for seveal years now. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25079791/bracketology-what-data-is-relevant-and-what-isnt … RT @ToddIckow: Is it really more important how you finish the season?

So one guy says otherwise and the head of the commitee tells everyone what they are supposed to do. Do you think he'd honestly come out and say otherwise on record?

Look, I was upset with the way the team played D most of the game and missing the FT at the end was crushing. But, if the refs call the foul at the end of the half, we go in with a lead. Don't you think Yogi hits those 3 FTs, if the whistle blows??

Bottom line, Crean isn't going anywhere. The admins shouldn't give in to a noisy minority of the fan base. Crean does a good job and recruits well. Not his fault Fisher transferred mid year last year or that Devin Davis does a stupid act and gets a  head injury. Our front line has been weak all year and the other teams have figured it out. Plus, Hanner was hurt and missed 6 games or so. Colin then got hurt and missed 3-4 games. Those are true issues and the HC cannot control that.

Am I disappointed in the way the season has ended? Yup! But I also look at the predictions at the start of the year and it was a 10th place or so finish in the B1G and no NCAA. This team has done better than that and Crean should get some credit for adjusting his offense to the teams strength.

Keith

Look, I was upset with the way the team played D most of the game and missing the FT at the end was crushing. But, if the refs call the foul at the end of the half, we go in with a lead. Don't you think Yogi hits those 3 FTs, if the whistle blows??

Bottom line, Crean isn't going anywhere. The admins shouldn't give in to a noisy minority of the fan base. Crean does a good job and recruits well. Not his fault Fisher transferred mid year last year or that Devin Davis does a stupid act and gets a  head injury. Our front line has been weak all year and the other teams have figured it out. Plus, Hanner was hurt and missed 6 games or so. Colin then got hurt and missed 3-4 games. Those are true issues and the HC cannot control that.

Am I disappointed in the way the season has ended? Yup! But I also look at the predictions at the start of the year and it was a 10th place or so finish in the B1G and no NCAA. This team has done better than that and Crean should get some credit for adjusting his offense to the teams strength.

Keith

I don't know that it is a minority of the fan base anymore though. I have not talked to one person in person that thinks he should still be the basketball coach at IU. 

Keith

Its definitely not the minority. Its national news!  Using Hanner and Hartman's injuries holds no water because Hanner hasn't been a factor all season no matter if he plays or not. 

We still finished in the lower part of the big ten and are on the bubble. We have lost 8 of the last 12. We still are losing the same way we lost games last year. Crean hasn't made any adjustments from the failures of last years squad. I don't think Crean is going anywhere this offseason but I also believe that there won't be any difference in next years team because Crean doesn't know how to make adjustments. If he couldnt win with the squad with Zeller and Oladipo, I don't see him winning with any other team.
Tom Crean's success as a coach depends on have a superstar player. His major success at Marquette was when he had Wade controlling the offense and scoring. Last years team and this years team has only been successful when Yogi is successful. Tons of other teams have injuries, so that can't be an excuse. His time here is short. He peaked in Zeller's last year here. 

Its definitely not the minority. Its national news! Using Hanner and Hartman's injuries holds no water because Hanner hasn't been a factor all season no matter if he plays or not.

We still finished in the lower part of the big ten and are on the bubble. We have lost 8 of the last 12. We still are losing the same way we lost games last year. Crean hasn't made any adjustments from the failures of last years squad. I don't think Crean is going anywhere this offseason but I also believe that there won't be any difference in next years team because Crean doesn't know how to make adjustments. If he couldnt win with the squad with Zeller and Oladipo, I don't see him winning with any other team.
Tom Crean's success as a coach depends on have a superstar player. His major success at Marquette was when he had Wade controlling the offense and scoring. Last years team and this years team has only been successful when Yogi is successful. Tons of other teams have injuries, so that can't be an excuse. His time here is short. He peaked in Zeller's last year here.

Exactly these star players mask his coaching weaknesses.

If Tom Crean were a baseball team, he'd be the Chicago Cubs, replete with the motto "just wait till next year".

Unfortunately, retaining Tom Crean as head coach requires that one believe "next year" will be markedly better than this year, that incoming freshmen will make a decided difference, that current players will stick around AND develop their game, that the team, no matter what its make up, will learn to play, (and/or be willing to play), defense, and that coach Tom Crean will magically become a tactician, a strategist, and a decent in game coach rolled in to one.

That is asking too much of my faith and imagination.

Keith

That is the problem. IU should never be in a situation where they are projected to finish 10th place in the conference and not make the NCAA tournament!

Look, I was upset with the way the team played D most of the game and missing the FT at the end was crushing. But, if the refs call the foul at the end of the half, we go in with a lead. Don't you think Yogi hits those 3 FTs, if the whistle blows??

Bottom line, Crean isn't going anywhere. The admins shouldn't give in to a noisy minority of the fan base. Crean does a good job and recruits well. Not his fault Fisher transferred mid year last year or that Devin Davis does a stupid act and gets a head injury. Our front line has been weak all year and the other teams have figured it out. Plus, Hanner was hurt and missed 6 games or so. Colin then got hurt and missed 3-4 games. Those are true issues and the HC cannot control that.

Keith

It's far from a minority. I know 100+ serious IU fans in my personal life, some of them influential. I know 0 supportive of Crean, and the conversations have been had

There is only one coach, maybe, you fire him for now. That coach isn't interested at the moment. It's really just beginning. I'm not against a change, but it sure would look weak. The names that IU is allegedly interested in: Smart, Bennett, Miller.. Are they really going to be that much of an upgrade? This team has played a horrible style of basketball since Purdue, and it is ridiculous. It's pathetic. But it isn't the norm under Crean if you have just look at his career. When guys go hard, it's sharp. This team hung on for a while, but they have leadership still developing and they don't have enough physical bodies.

The point is, this cycle of firing coaches isn't a smart business to get into. Especially when there's little reason to get rid of the coach. Get a freakin backbone...If Indiana was anything close to a championship program, it would be reasonable to be outraged at the last two seasons. But don't forget where we were and where we have been very recently. Coaches are fired far too early in this day and age. This situation is different, too, since IU started over. And then started over again. Unfortunately 2013 class hasn't quite had the commitment of 2009...

This is the problem, you are the problem. The Purdue mindset has creeped in to the IU fan base. Remember what your hero said, "it's indiana."

If all we can hope for is just to be competitive and have a little fun...what's the point? That's what my kid's pop warner is for.

This is the problem, you are the problem. The Purdue mindset has creeped in to the IU fan base. Remember what your hero said, "it's indiana."

If all we can hope for is just to be competitive and have a little fun...what's the point? That's what my kid's pop warner is for.

It is possible to be completely frustrated with the state of the program, the play of the current team, and not want to fire the coach. Not sure if everyone realizes that it is possible.

Not wanting to make a change does not mean one accepts the state of the program, or everyone's favorite buzzword "mediocrity."

Show me who IU can realistically attract, and how long that individual gets to do xyz... That's what I want to know. Maybe there's a disciplinarian in your kids pee wee league.

It is possible to be completely frustrated with the state of the program, the play of the current team, and not want to fire the coach. Not sure if everyone realizes that it is possible.

Not wanting to make a change does not mean one accepts the state of the program, or everyone's favorite buzzword "mediocrity."

Show me who IU can realistically attract, and how long that individual gets to do xyz... That's what I want to know. Maybe there's a disciplinarian in your kids pee wee league.

Look, I defended Crean for a long time.  I wouldn't call myself a Crean supporter by any stretch but I came on this forum often to defend against some statistics.  The fact is Crean's teams have not performed at a level acceptable to IU basketball standards nor the pay he receives.  Can you show me one area of coaching that he truly excels in?  7 years he has been given the opportunity to prove he can lead this program back to greatness.  He has failed to do that in all but one/one and a half seasons.  Is that an acceptable level?

What's the solution?  Give him next year?  Then what's the level of success he needs in that one season to remain the coach?  Will another top 5 finish and a Sweet 16 be enough?  The man rebuilt the program after that dumpster fire.  That's great and I'm thankful for that but the program is now stagnated at best.  A change is needed.  We need a coach that can take the program from here and go to the next level.