Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2015) C Thomas Bryant to IU

It's semantics, but I wouldn't call it "great". Really good? Absolutely. But, tt wouldn't be a great class for the Duke's, Kansas', UK's, UCLA's, Arizona's, etc. of the world. I don't know if that would be in Crean's top 4-5 classes while at IU. 

Like I said, it's probably semantics though. It would certainly be a good class. 

IMO that would be a GREAT class under any circumstances!!!!

Juwan is ranked 60-100
Shake is ranked 60-100
Bryant is ranked 15-30

That would be amazing......

But also not likely

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's semantics, but I wouldn't call it "great". Really good? Absolutely. But, tt wouldn't be a great class for the Duke's, Kansas', UK's, UCLA's, Arizona's, etc. of the world. I don't know if that would be in Crean's top 4-5 classes while at IU. 

Like I said, it's probably semantics though. It would certainly be a good class. 

You're obviously speaking purely from HS rankings, I'm guessing given we haven't seen any of those three play yet at this level. Because we've obviously seen some heralded classes not pan out, and at least one unheralded class prove to be very good (arguably great)

Yes, because IMO when comparing classes we have to decide if we're judging thoughts on the class incoming, or their actual production once they arrived. Obviously, we can't judge 2015 on actual production since they won't take the court for another year.

To your point, you can make an argument that 2012 was Crean's best class on paper, but his worst (not counting 2008) in terms of production. 

You're obviously speaking purely from HS rankings, I'm guessing given we haven't seen any of those three play yet at this level. Because we've obviously seen some heralded classes not pan out, and at least one unheralded class prove to be very good (arguably great)

I don't know if that would be in Crean's top 4-5 classes while at IU. 

How would it not? Two 4 stars and a 5 star in one class? Sure "The Movement" was highly ranked but look how that panned out. Last year's class had Stan, Troy, Vonleh and Fischer all in the top 100 but it's still early for that class. We can go back and look at the classes that brought in Jordy and Watford, but those guys weren't highly recruited out of high school. Zeller was the only big recruit in his class. Like someone else said, it's early to tell but if you look at it rankings wise, this would be one of Crean's top classes in my opinion

Watford and Hulls weren't highly recruited? I think you're misremembering. Watford was a higher rated recruit than both Morgan and Shake. Hulls was a 4* by some services and that class also had Creek. I think even Elston was a 4* on some services. 

2011 is the questionable one. Zeller was the only real good recruit in that class, but he was a program changer. I'd agree with you on that one in terms of 2015 (if it panned out this way) being better on paper. 

2012 is a better class IMO in terms of how they were thought of in-coming. I'm not sure it's fair to judge 2015 strictly on rankings and put it higher than 2012 because they didn't pan out. 2015 might not pan out either. 

Assuming we landed Bryant, Morgan and Shake for 2015, I'd personally rank them (using their rankings, not their production once on campus):

2014 (You could flip-flop '14 and '15 very easily assuming the class we're assuming for '15)

2011 (This is really a tough one, Zeller is by far the most important recruit to date in this era, but as a class Ethrington and Abel really bring it down)

2010 (On paper the worst class, but in terms of production it's arguable #1)

It's just difficult to compare. Some classes people want to point to rankings, and others they want to point to actual production. I think if we're going to compare classes in a list, we can't bounce around between criteria, and since 2015 hasn't happened yet, I'm going with rankings instead of production.

How would it not? Two 4 stars and a 5 star in one class? Sure "The Movement" was highly ranked but look how that panned out. Last year's class had Stan, Troy, Vonleh and Fischer all in the top 100 but it's still early for that class. We can go back and look at the classes that brought in Jordy and Watford, but those guys weren't highly recruited out of high school. Zeller was the only big recruit in his class. Like someone else said, it's early to tell but if you look at it rankings wise, this would be one of Crean's top classes in my opinion

Thomas "Boo Boo" Bryant...

Imagine gentlemen, Gus Johnson with the call, "YOGI TO BOO BOO FOR THE NASTY ALLEY OOP!" followed by something comparing the big ten championship trophy to a picnic basket and the two running away with it, etc.

This class will be Crean's last chance to make that epic sound byte a reality.

Watford and Hulls weren't highly recruited? I think you're misremembering. Watford was a higher rated recruit than both Morgan and Shake. Hulls was a 4* by some services and that class also had Creek. I think even Elston was a 4* on some services. 

2011 is the questionable one. Zeller was the only real good recruit in that class, but he was a program changer. I'd agree with you on that one in terms of 2015 (if it panned out this way) being better on paper. 

2012 is a better class IMO in terms of how they were thought of in-coming. I'm not sure it's fair to judge 2015 strictly on rankings and put it higher than 2012 because they didn't pan out. 2015 might not pan out either. 

Assuming we landed Bryant, Morgan and Shake for 2015, I'd personally rank them (using their rankings, not their production once on campus):

2014 (You could flip-flop '14 and '15 very easily assuming the class we're assuming for '15)

2011 (This is really a tough one, Zeller is by far the most important recruit to date in this era, but as a class Ethrington and Abel really bring it down)

2010 (On paper the worst class, but in terms of production it's arguable #1)

It's just difficult to compare. Some classes people want to point to rankings, and others they want to point to actual production. I think if we're going to compare classes in a list, we can't bounce around between criteria, and since 2015 hasn't happened yet, I'm going with rankings instead of production.

I'll give you that on Watford. Hard to believe that he was actually that far up in the rankings( I just looked it up on espn). Elston was a 4 star, kid was a beast in high school. Creek was also in the top 100. Hulls was only a 3 star with two offers coming out of high school , but his production changed a lot of that. 
Its interesting to look at it all. Thanks for the info. Here's to hoping 2015 and all future classes turns out a lot better than 2012 haha

Anyone know if Syracuse has any other 5 stars in the fold for 2015? If so---I think that increases out chances as I think a lot of players like the idea of being "the man"! This is an interesting development.......

They have Malachi Richardson but I don't think that has any impact on Bryant

Obviously every program will make room for a 5* and prioritize that guy, but Syracuse does already have four commits in the class, including a 4* C and a 4* PF. Hopefully Crean can pitch the "be the man" inn the paint angle.

Still think he's Cuse bound---but the IU visit gets our foot in the door and once he's on campus---magic often happens!

IMO that would be a GREAT class under any circumstances!!!!

Juwan is ranked 60-100
Shake is ranked 60-100
Bryant is ranked 15-30

That would be amazing......

But also not likely

this would be a great class. Good Size (3), covers multiple position needs, depth and no riffraff. This is what we need every year

I watched Bryant play in the Peach Jam ESPNU games.

He has a GREAT nose for the ball, plays with a great motor, and is a true big defensively.

I haven't seen Zimmerman play, but it's hard to imagine a better fit for IU than Thomas Bryant.

I came away with the exact thoughts after seeing Bryant play. He's a MAN.

Obviously every program will make room for a 5* and prioritize that guy, but Syracuse does already have four commits in the class, including a 4* C and a 4* PF. Hopefully Crean can pitch the "be the man" inn the paint angle.

They've also got 5* PF Chris MuCullough in the 2014 class.  He may be a one and done, but if there's any doubt during the season that he isn't, that would also make it seem like their frontcourt is stacked for 2015.

It may be lost in the debate about whether the class is good or great so SIAP but I'm going to put it here again if so...

Matt Hunter @MattHunter_33
spotted @_CM5 and 5 star recruit Thomas Bryant at the su football game today 

Syracuse - Fri-Sun with his Mom

Indiana- 10/3

Mizzou- 10/10