Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Ohio State’s entire 2015 recruiting class — five members, ranked 5th nationally — now has zero players remaining.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I saw a tweet about that a little bit ago. Crazy. It's even worse than our "the Movement" class. 

Rules changes this year are "minor" and in fact, they do appear relatively minor. 

The changes are:

— On a foul or other violation that occurs in the frontcourt inside the final 20 seconds of a shot-clock cycle, the reset will be to 20 seconds rather than 30. This is similar to a FIBA rule that assumes since there aren’t 10 seconds required to advance the ball, the offense shouldn’t need a full 30 seconds to pursue a shot. If the violation occurs before the 20-second mark, there will be no reset.

My Thought: Good idea. Easy way to increase possessions some without tampering with the integrity of the game too much.

— The coaches’ box will grow by 10 feet, making it easier for coaches to communicate with players at the opposite end of the court (and more difficult for officials to call them for technical fouls for being out of the box).

My Thought: VERY good idea. I'll admit that some of the antics we see with coaches near the center circle are ridiculous but there's been a bit too much zealotry at times from officials on this thing. I suspect the stripes will not like this but that's just too bad.

— Allowing use of replay monitors in the final two minutes of regulation or of overtime to determine whether a secondary defender attempting to draw a charge has his feet inside or outside of the restricted area (the no-charge zone).

My Thought: Very good idea. That's a call I want to see them get right, even if it takes an extra couple of minutes. Anything to avoid rewarding flops and bulls*** "charges."

— Requiring offensive players who are screening have the inside of their feet set no wider than their shoulders.

My Thought: This is one to keep an eye on. I like the fact that there's at least a standard set, which I'm not certain there was previously. In theory, I'm not bothered by this but I need to see how it's called in practice.

The big opportunity that they punted on was not moving to the quarter system. I've found myself getting persuaded that if we're not going to see a backing off on freedom of movement and the endless foul calls that result from it (and I don't think we are), then at least resetting the penalty after each 10 minutes of play would be helpful in improving the flow of play generally. So an opportunity missed there, IMO.

Duke got Duval

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

"Ready or not, here I come (NBA)!" - Frank Jackson

Kentucky and Duke both now have forced players who wanted to be one-and-done to pursue that goal. Makes me wonder how much longer this one-and-done factory approach can last. A much safer strategy would be for a player to go somewhere they won't be recruited over, in case they aren't ready after one year.

"Ready or not, here I come (NBA)!" - Frank Jackson

Kentucky and Duke both now have forced players who wanted to be one-and-done to pursue that goal. Makes me wonder how much longer this one-and-done factory approach can last. A much safer strategy would be for a player to go somewhere they won't be recruited over, in case they aren't ready after one year.

Yeah, in today's climate the all think they are ready.

I get it though. The difference of a 10 year NBA player and someone who just misses isn't that large from a skill perspective. Fit and need to team are huge factors.

The whole thing frustrates me.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Duke got Duval

I'll be real interested to see if he has clearinghouse issues. Preston as well. Mulitiple schools, including a year at API. I would not exactly bet my house on either of them being eligible in October.

Ray Kasongo has asked for and is expected to receive his release to transfer from Iowa State, multiple sources tell Ames Tribune.

Ray Kasongo's next college will be his 4th: Southern Idaho, Tennessee, Iowa State.

Now that's a travelin' man.