Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

It’s been a slow rebuild, but I really think we’re headed in the right direction. There’s many big “ifs”, but mainly (imo) if TJD stays, 2021 might be IU’s return to national prominence (not necessarily a national championship, but final four/elite 8 run), and I think we’d be set up well for sustained success

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

How did it get to this point?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I've been asking that multiple times in the last few weeks. TJD hasn't appeared in any mock drafts that I've seen, yet so many of our fans were convinced he'd be gone this spring, and the idea of him being here as a junior is dismissed as unrealistic. 

Garza from Iowa is another example. Somebody on another board said he should leave this year because his stock will never be higher. I pointed out he isn't projected to be drafted, so he really doesn't have any "stock." (that's another word that I'm seeing a lot, in addition to "potential")

It used to be that guys only left if they were lottery picks. Then it became first round, then it became appearing anywhere in the draft, now guys are being mentioned when they aren't likely to be drafted at all "because their stock will never get higher." I hate what it's done to basketball, and it makes it harder to enjoy the success our players achieve, because there's a perpetual fear that we'll lose someone and be scrambling to fill the void. 

Some players, like Juwan Morgan and Yogi Farrell, who aren't projected to be drafted stick around for 4 years. Others, like James Blackmon, who don't think they will get anything more out of college leave after 2 or 3 years. Not sure why some think this is a big deal. Schools usually know what they are getting when they recruit these players.

I've been asking that multiple times in the last few weeks. TJD hasn't appeared in any mock drafts that I've seen, yet so many of our fans were convinced he'd be gone this spring, and the idea of him being here as a junior is dismissed as unrealistic. 

Garza from Iowa is another example. Somebody on another board said he should leave this year because his stock will never be higher. I pointed out he isn't projected to be drafted, so he really doesn't have any "stock." (that's another word that I'm seeing a lot, in addition to "potential")

It used to be that guys only left if they were lottery picks. Then it became first round, then it became appearing anywhere in the draft, now guys are being mentioned when they aren't likely to be drafted at all "because their stock will never get higher." I hate what it's done to basketball, and it makes it harder to enjoy the success our players achieve, because there's a perpetual fear that we'll lose someone and be scrambling to fill the void. 

That’s what doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re a second rounder or worse, return to school. If you’re a freshman, return to school. You can move up if you put the work in. If you’re a sophomore, the same. If you’re a Junior, you’re a junior and you averaged 24ppg and still aren’t in any mock drafts? Return to school or if you’re at best a second round round pick. I’ve brought this up before but Dean Smith has the rule that if you’re not a lock for the lottery, to return. I could see now that being a lock for the Top 20. Leaving to be a 2nd round pick just isn’t worth it because you can continue being a star and king on campus if you just return. Kendrick Nunns story isn’t the normal. That’s rare.

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Do we have a running list of all which team is losing?

Don't know that you can readily find such a list by school.  Site below will bring up schools by conference but you'll have to further click on each school in the conference for details.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/TransferPortal/#Big-Ten

I think Inside The Hall  has been publishing a list for the B1G on a periodic basis.

In the B1G you have to think OSU and Illinois are the big losers. Props to Underwood for getting that extension when he did.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

12 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I found it mildly interesting that it was daddy doing all the talking.

Still think there’s activity under the surface here. This is dad telling a local media outlet what they need to hear. Know this decision isn’t mutual between players and parent. Will be interested to see if a transfer out presents an opportunity that maybe they’re monitoring but doesn’t exist right now with the cream and crimson. Wouldn’t call this dead in the water yet. 

34 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Still think there’s activity under the surface here. This is dad telling a local media outlet what they need to hear. Know this decision isn’t mutual between players and parent. Will be interested to see if a transfer out presents an opportunity that maybe they’re monitoring but doesn’t exist right now with the cream and crimson. Wouldn’t call this dead in the water yet. 

I hope he's not coming to B-town. If IU gets a transfer I hope it's a big or barring that, anyone else other then Brooks. 

25 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I hope he's not coming to B-town. If IU gets a transfer I hope it's a big or barring that, anyone else other then Brooks. 

Not me, i'd gladly take him.  However he does seem to represent exactly the type of player Jerome Hunter is.   I think Brooks is better at the moment, but not by a landslide.  Brooks played very well with TJD.  Brooks has some midrange game and finishing ability he didn't showcase at Kentucky.  Brooks wasn't good this season, but i don't think that's who Brooks is.  But i'm happy to see if Jerome Hunter can grow into that player for us, i'd just like him to be more versatile and utilize more than catch and shoot 3's.  

Keion Brooks announced he was returning to Kentucky and not...wait for it...going pro. LOL, did he really think he had a chance of getting drafted? Look, I am all for kids wanting to live out their dream of going pro. But he averaged less than 5 points a game. He needs to focus on becoming a better college player right now. 

Cal likely promised Keion more playing time next season. Keion wasn't going to get drafted but he has talent and might have transferred if he wasn't told his playing time would increase. I wouldn't take what he says publicly about postponing a move to the NBA. He's only a kid and these kids say things even if they aren't terribly credible even to themselves.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Cal likely promised Keion more playing time next season. Keion wasn't going to get drafted but he has talent and might have transferred if he wasn't told his playing time would increase. I wouldn't take what he says publicly about postponing a move to the NBA. He's only a kid and these kids say things even if they aren't terribly credible even to themselves.

Cal is bringing in a six-man recruiting class in 2020. Three 5-stars and three 4-stars. Two of the recruits play KB’s position and are the number 3 and 5 PF’s in the class, respectively. I think playtime will be about the same as last year if he stays at UK. 

On 4/7/2020 at 7:37 AM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

From things I’ve heard, it took awhile for Knight to hand over the keys to Zeke.

Yes,early that year in a game at Carolina he benched Thomas in the second half for playing out of control and they beat us handily.

To this day I think he sacrificed that win to teach Zeke a lesson.In the championship game we pretty much ran over the same Carolina team in the second half of the game.

14 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Omg this kid has another year? He has put in a ton of work just look at his first couple of years. I’m not saying our newest recruit has the same skill set as Garza, but living in the gym can pay off. I hope he goes pro lol, and we can finally defend the outside vs Iowa this coming year.