Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Edey won't get away with the same amount of stuff with Clingan on him, I don't think Hurley will allow it... maybe I'm giving him too much credit though. I do think Samson Johnson could have a surprisingly good day, maybe the x-factor IMO. I trust Hurley and staff to scheme for Purdue just fine, assuming Bama doesn't get hot... which definitely could happen. And no guarantee PU gets by their next opponent either. In a way, it will be sweeter if they play for the title and lose to UConn so they have no excuses about this year. Just losing to a better team. 

Well, I'll be rooting for Purdue to win it all for my father-in-law. He is a diehard Purdue fan, who probably hasn't missed but a few games since 1968. Sadly, he is missing this tournament. He had a mental breakdown, which could be Alzheimer's, and is in a hospital that won't allow him to watch TV, and we don't know when he'll get out, or if ever. I missed getting his texts during the game. I kept checking my phone out of habit, just hoping to see his thoughts come across my screen. Sigh. Well, I hope they win it all for him. I am not a praying man, but I'd sure love some good vibes sent my father-in-law's way!

22 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Edey won't get away with the same amount of stuff with Clingan on him, I don't think Hurley will allow it... maybe I'm giving him too much credit though. I do think Samson Johnson could have a surprisingly good day, maybe the x-factor IMO. I trust Hurley and staff to scheme for Purdue just fine, assuming Bama doesn't get hot... which definitely could happen. And no guarantee PU gets by their next opponent either. In a way, it will be sweeter if they play for the title and lose to UConn so they have no excuses about this year. Just losing to a better team. 

We keep saying that refs are going to call him for his fouls and they don’t.

8 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I’ll be that guy but congrats to Purdue. They have a tough team, made even tougher from last year’s 1st round embarrassment 

Have to admit it’s super hard to root for PU.  I live down in Tobacco Road though, so I always root for Big Ten. Talk about elitist fans!  Happy for Painter, he seems like a genuine dude.

I will not root for them in a final.  Have to draw the line:)

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

We keep saying that refs are going to call him for his fouls and they don’t.

Even without it, I think Clingan and Johnson surprise with their ability to hold their own. Not necessarily win head to head or "stop" him a ton but slow him down just a little and make their own impact on offense. I also think Hurley coming off a title and being the maniac he is on the sidelines, will get his way more than a lot of other coaches do. Not all of the time... but more often. It could be a competitive game but at the end of the day I think UConn has a way better team / supporting cast and trust Hurleys ability to scheme a good gameplan/make adjustments. I mean they absolutely destroyed B10 tournament champs Illinois while Purdue just slipped past Tennessee. Painter is good too but I just think their roster makes them way more one dimensional. Never say never, but my gut feel (which could and has been wrong plenty before) is the final score wouldn't be particularly close in the end, even if it is competitive for 20-30 minutes. 

Part of me wants to give credit where it’s due and credit them. The other part of me sees a 33-11 FT discrepancy and that they won by only 6 despite that and say screw giving them credit. I mean, okay, I can buy that they draw a lot of fouls, even that Edey gets fouled a lot. But how many games this year has it been 3 times as many or close? Ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

50 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Bama will get hot and pull the upset and then revert to form next game handing Purdue the title.  

But longterm it will be good for the rivalry. You can’t have a true marquee rivalry with a program historically as irrelevant as Purdue. It’s why we always substituted UK for the true national tv level rivalry.  

Purdue winning a title and Painter being there another 15 years would be good for the rivalry if Indiana ever pulls its head out of its *** and fixes the program.