Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Just now, Five Prime said:

For some reason it appears Houston isn't playing very hard, they look like they're asleep to me.  Weird. 

Lost their leader in the first half.  Haven’t been the same since 

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

They weren't doing a whole lot with him, either. They went almost 6 minutes without scoring before he got hurt. 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

He locked down Roach and without him in Roach got where he wanted 

Terrible and unfortunate for Houston. Have to think they pull it off with a healthy Shead as much as I hate to say. Survive and advance. 

48 minutes ago, Demo said:

Or, you could also argue that IU killed it’s program when it had the choice of Sampson or John Beilein and hired the guy who was under NCAA sanctions after leaving his previous program on probation for doing the same stupid $hit and then lying about it when they could have hired 1 of the best coaches in the country who would have killed it here and not incinerated the program while he was at it. I have no sympathy for the Sampson rehabilitation narrative. He 100% deserved it and the decision makers involved deserved more for hiring that creep when they knew that if he committed any violations they would be straight hammered for hiring a sanctioned coach. Zero respect for the guy and less than zero for the decision makers. 

I can't like this post enough times. So sick of people longing for Sampscum. It doesn't matter how minor you think the violations were. When you're on probation, you damn well better keep your nose clean. In fact, that they were minor makes it even worse. All he had to do was NOT send a few meaningless texts, but he couldn't help himself. He isn't the type of man I want associated with IU.

18 minutes ago, BannerVille said:

I can't like this post enough times. So sick of people longing for Sampscum. It doesn't matter how minor you think the violations were. When you're on probation, you damn well better keep your nose clean. In fact, that they were minor makes it even worse. All he had to do was NOT send a few meaningless texts, but he couldn't help himself. He isn't the type of man I want associated with IU.

This is why IU is in the position that IU is in. College coaches were orchestrating dufflebags full of cash and IU gave itself the death penalty over text messages and phone calls. Sampson was playing big boy recruiting but IU would rather play in the minor leagues while touting its morality. 

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is why IU is in the position that IU is in. College coaches were orchestrating dufflebags full of cash and IU gave itself the death penalty over text messages and phone calls. Sampson was playing big boy recruiting but IU would rather play in the minor leagues while touting its morality. 

IU should've played dumb just like any serious program would've done, force the NCAA to do it's job; the NCAA might be led by bigger clowns than IU is. Instead they did the dumbest thing possible and nuked their own program.

7 hours ago, BannerVille said:

Beyond the violations, he brought in players of such low character that had no business representing IU. 

8 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Since 'everybody' is cheating...let's cheat too.  At an institute of higher learning, this is what we should be teaching students and professing to the world.  Right?  Uh...no.

IU hired a very good coach that had cheated and was on probation.  A very controversial hire at the time.   I do believe that forgiveness is quite wonderful in many ways.  And allowing people to start anew after a fall is a blessing and an opportunity.  I am not saying that IU should not have hired Coach Sampson.

IU did not trust but verify.  Quality Control and Quality Assurance were not adequate at IU. Coach Sampson made those impermissible calls while on probation.  He was helped by some of his assistants.  (Not Dan Dock Itch by the way.)  

Should IU have fallen on it's own sword?  Or should IU have turned it's head and ignored the fact that Sampson cheated while on probation?  Should IU have fired Sampson and stonewalled the NCAA and the media?  Is the coverup always worse than the incidents?  Should IU be another cheating institution teaching that to students?  Is it ok to cheat and lie?

Some of the players had issues, too.  Pretending that they were not doing drugs and excellent students...representing IU well is not correct.

That IU could have handled this fiasco better is not in doubt.  But revisionist history is not helping.  And how do we become better citizens and brothers and sisters to others in our community and in the world?

Teachers and professors and administers of public institutions are keepers of the public trust.  Tax dollars go to public schools.  A much higher standard is in place for those that are responsible not only for public funds but to students and 'We The People".  

Is winning the most important thing?  

All of the above is not why IU has not had good basketball for the last 2+ decades.  Bad decisions at the top about management of the men's basketball at IU is.  Good morals are not the issue.  Good basketball program management is the issue.  

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Beyond the violations, he brought in players of such low character that had no business representing IU. 

And that was my point completely.

We had pot dealers, pot smokers, and pot throwers… so pretty much covered the spectrum there.

We had guys who had no interest going to class. 

For people who defend Sampson and use the excuse that everyone else was doing it, or his discretions aren’t illegal anymore…

He was the head of the Rules Committee while at Oklahoma. He got busted for breaking the rules there. He knew the rules. There were no ambiguities, or at least shouldn’t have been.

Yep, pot is much more accepted now. Yep, the phone rules were changed. However that’s in hindsight. He didn’t function properly under the rules as they were at the time. 

55 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

And that was my point completely.

We had pot dealers, pot smokers, and pot throwers… so pretty much covered the spectrum there.

We had guys who had no interest going to class. 

For people who defend Sampson and use the excuse that everyone else was doing it, or his discretions aren’t illegal anymore…

He was the head of the Rules Committee while at Oklahoma. He got busted for breaking the rules there. He knew the rules. There were no ambiguities, or at least shouldn’t have been.

Yep, pot is much more accepted now. Yep, the phone rules were changed. However that’s in hindsight. He didn’t function properly under the rules as they were at the time. 

Pot throwing is still frowned upon.

9 hours ago, FortWayneHoosier said:

I’ve watched UConn a lot this year. Edey will eat Klingon alive. 

Yeah, but Clingan is not the focus of their offense. He doesn't have to beat Edey, just make him not his usual self. Karaban, Newton, Castle, and Spencer + Samson Johnson and a few other bench pieces are going to be able to get mismatches. Dont get me wrong, Purdue could win vs UConn, but I don't think UConn will rely nearly as much on Clingan to win as PU will on Edey 

10 hours ago, Sardinefarts1991 said:

I will say with Sampson...

I heard, and idk if it's true...forget where I heard it.  Maybe it was Hoosier hysterics lol..but Sampson thought the candy stripes were dumb..? And he planned on getting rid of them 3-4 years down the line once he started winning.  

Anyone else heard that?  If that's true, good thing he was gone.  We love the stripes.

He must have gotten it from Donny Marshall.

2 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Since 'everybody' is cheating...let's cheat too.  At an institute of higher learning, this is what we should be teaching students and professing to the world.  Right?  Uh...no.

IU hired a very good coach that had cheated and was on probation.  A very controversial hire at the time.   I do believe that forgiveness is quite wonderful in many ways.  And allowing people to start anew after a fall is a blessing and an opportunity.  I am not saying that IU should not have hired Coach Sampson.

IU did not trust but verify.  Quality Control and Quality Assurance were not adequate at IU. Coach Sampson made those impermissible calls while on probation.  He was helped by some of his assistants.  (Not Dan Dock Itch by the way.)  

Should IU have fallen on it's own sword?  Or should IU have turned it's head and ignored the fact that Sampson cheated while on probation?  Should IU have fired Sampson and stonewalled the NCAA and the media?  Is the coverup always worse than the incidents?  Should IU be another cheating institution teaching that to students?  Is it ok to cheat and lie?

Some of the players had issues, too.  Pretending that they were not doing drugs and excellent students...representing IU well is not correct.

That IU could have handled this fiasco better is not in doubt.  But revisionist history is not helping.  And how do we become better citizens and brothers and sisters to others in our community and in the world?

Teachers and professors and administers of public institutions are keepers of the public trust.  Tax dollars go to public schools.  A much higher standard is in place for those that are responsible not only for public funds but to students and 'We The People".  

Is winning the most important thing?  

All of the above is not why IU has not had good basketball for the last 2+ decades.  Bad decisions at the top about management of the men's basketball at IU is.  Good morals are not the issue.  Good basketball program management is the issue.  

Like I said, this is why IU basketball is in the position that it’s currently in. Schools like UNC and Duke are much better schools academically. They were both paying players. UNC was literally having its players take fake classes. Did it fire the coach in charge? No. UNC kept him and he went to two more final fours and won a national championship. Was its academic reputation irredeemable harmed by sticking with their guy? No. It’s still considered one of the best public colleges in the country. No one gives a d*** about morals in a moral-less land like big-time ncaa athletics.  

Kelvin Sampson knew what college basketball was about. He knew what you needed to do to win big. And he was doing it. 3rd place in the conference and a round of 32 appearance his first year. 22-4 in his second year with a nice recruiting class signed up. Don’t hire him in the first place if you don’t want him to do his thing. If IU had concerns with the character of player he was bringing in, work with him on that. Don’t fire him. Tom Crean wasn’t exactly bringing in all Boy Scouts and Rhodes Scholars. 

9 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Same thing happened to the same player last year in the tourney and the results were the same. A loss.

10 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

Same thing happened to the same player last year in the tourney and the results were the same. A loss.

Tough break for a really good kid.  Not only was he a heck of a player but his character was top level.  I will never forget one of his coaches knocking down a trash can after a game in anger and him stopping and cleaning it up 

https://x.com/coachminor3/status/1773744285860671838?s=46

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Like I said, this is why IU basketball is in the position that it’s currently in. Schools like UNC and Duke are much better schools academically. They were both paying players. UNC was literally having its players take fake classes. Did it fire the coach in charge? No. UNC kept him and he went to two more final fours and won a national championship. Was its academic reputation irredeemable harmed by sticking with their guy? No. It’s still considered one of the best public colleges in the country. No one gives a d*** about morals in a moral-less land like big-time ncaa athletics.  

Kelvin Sampson knew what college basketball was about. He knew what you needed to do to win big. And he was doing it. 3rd place in the conference and a round of 32 appearance his first year. 22-4 in his second year with a nice recruiting class signed up. Don’t hire him in the first place if you don’t want him to do his thing. If IU had concerns with the character of player he was bringing in, work with him on that. Don’t fire him. Tom Crean wasn’t exactly bringing in all Boy Scouts and Rhodes Scholars. 

The NCAA didn't gave a crap about fake classes. We think they cared about text messages? They cared so much they did away with the rule.

Coaches aren't paid millions to bring in a bunch of choir boys. They're paid millions to win.

Play dumb about the stupid text messages and work with him to clean some things up behind the scenes.

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Kelvin Sampson knew what college basketball was about. He knew what you needed to do to win big. And he was doing it. 3rd place in the conference and a round of 32 appearance his first year. 22-4 in his second year with a nice recruiting class signed up. Don’t hire him in the first place if you don’t want him to do his thing. 

No.  We do not agree.

I did not say that no one cares about morals in college sports.  I said that I care.

I said that people do care about morals in institutes of public trust.  Imagine the state legislators (pure people for sure themselves) deciding whether to allow more public state funds going to public institutes of higher learning that embrace hiring and allowing cheaters. 

I said that the issue is not that IU should look the other way relative to morals in sports.

I do not have a problem with hiring someone that is not perfect.  Who among us is?

I said that IU needed to watch those in places of trust. IU needed and needs to check and double check for impermissible actions in all facets of the public trust. 

IU totally botched this.  Yes, they could have just yanked on Coach Sampson's phone texts/messages and calls.  They could have not self reported.  But that is not all.  What was going on with respect to the team?  Were those players excelling both on and off the court?  Were they growing as citizens?

You evidently say that anything goes...in college sports.

Where do you draw the line?  Small issues like impermissible phone calls are ok?  How about uncontrolled gifts?  Free cars?  Bad sportsmanship.  Hurting someone physically, emotionally, or through lack of educating in all ways?  Stealing public funds?  Bigotry?  Why have any rules?

Why even play the game?