Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

10 hours ago, Demo said:

Or, you could also argue that IU killed it’s program when it had the choice of Sampson or John Beilein and hired the guy who was under NCAA sanctions after leaving his previous program on probation for doing the same stupid $hit and then lying about it when they could have hired 1 of the best coaches in the country who would have killed it here and not incinerated the program while he was at it. I have no sympathy for the Sampson rehabilitation narrative. He 100% deserved it and the decision makers involved deserved more for hiring that creep when they knew that if he committed any violations they would be straight hammered for hiring a sanctioned coach. Zero respect for the guy and less than zero for the decision makers. 

Incinerated the program? Thats just not true. The administration incinerated the program. All self sanctions. Sampson made too many phone calls and texts. That’s what the ncaa was after him for. Once anyone points this out, then the goalposts start to shift to “thugs” or “drug dealers”, which have nothing to do with the ncaa violations. 

It’s fine to hold Sampson accountable for breaking some silly rules but he’s not responsible for nuking the program. That responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of the University. 

9 hours ago, BannerVille said:

I can't like this post enough times. So sick of people longing for Sampscum. It doesn't matter how minor you think the violations were. When you're on probation, you damn well better keep your nose clean. In fact, that they were minor makes it even worse. All he had to do was NOT send a few meaningless texts, but he couldn't help himself. He isn't the type of man I want associated with IU.

Agree wholeheartedly! What really makes me laugh is that so many are completely willing to overlook his (previous and continuing) violations, but if a player gets in trouble? Run em til they puke, sit them for the rest of the season, kick them off the team, they’re terrible kids, etc

Dusty May had a short interview with Dan Dakich on his radio show yesterday. I only listen to that interview this morning. Nothing surprising in his answers but did say how he deals with the NIL and current UM players that are in the transfer portal. He did not discuss his plan for recruiting. He did say though, after a loss in the tourney and that a new job gave him new energy. Was hard to break the news to current team but knows what needs to be done. It was short and for those interested, it starts at the start of the broadcast.

1 hour ago, Home Jersey said:

Yeah, but Clingan is not the focus of their offense. He doesn't have to beat Edey, just make him not his usual self. Karaban, Newton, Castle, and Spencer + Samson Johnson and a few other bench pieces are going to be able to get mismatches. Dont get me wrong, Purdue could win vs UConn, but I don't think UConn will rely nearly as much on Clingan to win as PU will on Edey 

I don’t disagree at all. I just think since Purdue runs a lot of their offensive game through Edey, Clingan will be pushed around more than he is used to. I love UConn and Hurley, they are one of my favorites to watch outside of IU. Just comparatively, on what I’ve watched thus far in the tournament, Purdue ain’t messing around. 

15 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

No.  We do not agree.

I did not say that no one cares about morals in college sports.  I said that I care.

I said that people do care about morals in institutes of public trust.  Imagine the state legislators (pure people for sure themselves) deciding whether to allow more public state funds going to public institutes of higher learning that embrace hiring and allowing cheaters. 

I said that the issue is not that IU should look the other way relative to morals in sports.

I do not have a problem with hiring someone that is not perfect.  Who among us is?

I said that IU needed to watch those in places of trust. IU needed and needs to check and double check for impermissible actions in all facets of the public trust. 

IU totally botched this.  Yes, they could have just yanked on Coach Sampson's phone texts/messages and calls.  They could have not self reported.  But that is not all.  What was going on with respect to the team?  Were those players excelling both on and off the court?  Were they growing as citizens?

You evidently say that anything goes...in college sports.

Where do you draw the line?  Small issues like impermissible phone calls are ok?  How about uncontrolled gifts?  Free cars?  Bad sportsmanship.  Hurting someone physically, emotionally, or through lack of educating in all ways?  Stealing public funds?  Bigotry?  Why have any rules?

Why even play the game?  

We definitely don’t agree, but we may agree that why have any rules would be a great question for the NCAA. If the governing body that created the rules doesn’t care about enforcing them, why should I? The landscape is all disjointed with NIL now, but before then players were receiving all kinds of improper benefits, the NCAA 100% knew, and the NCAA looked the other way. It wasn’t in the NCAA’s interest to crack down. A football program as dominant as Alabama or basketball programs like Duke, Kansas, UK, UNC, etc. are good for their sports. 

IU wasn’t exactly clean under Bob Knight. But for whatever reason the post-Knight IU administration was looking for an excuse to tank the program. 

Look at the schools in this year’s elite eight. Illinois, UConn, Clemson, Alabama, Tennessee, Purdue, NC State, and Duke. How many of them have clean histories? 

20 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Incinerated the program? Thats just not true. The administration incinerated the program. All self sanctions. Sampson made too many phone calls and texts. That’s what the ncaa was after him for. Once anyone points this out, then the goalposts start to shift to “thugs” or “drug dealers”, which have nothing to do with the ncaa violations. 

It’s fine to hold Sampson accountable for breaking some silly rules but he’s not responsible for nuking the program. That responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of the University. 

Correct and nobody was excited about Beilein at the time.

52 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Like I said, this is why IU basketball is in the position that it’s currently in. Schools like UNC and Duke are much better schools academically. They were both paying players. UNC was literally having its players take fake classes. Did it fire the coach in charge? No. UNC kept him and he went to two more final fours and won a national championship. Was its academic reputation irredeemable harmed by sticking with their guy? No. It’s still considered one of the best public colleges in the country. No one gives a d*** about morals in a moral-less land like big-time ncaa athletics.  

Kelvin Sampson knew what college basketball was about. He knew what you needed to do to win big. And he was doing it. 3rd place in the conference and a round of 32 appearance his first year. 22-4 in his second year with a nice recruiting class signed up. Don’t hire him in the first place if you don’t want him to do his thing. If IU had concerns with the character of player he was bringing in, work with him on that. Don’t fire him. Tom Crean wasn’t exactly bringing in all Boy Scouts and Rhodes Scholars. 

The old guys will remember Troys moms rants on this site.  Hilarious stuff.  Maybe the mods have a way to find them.  Hall of fame stuff.

13 minutes ago, FortWayneHoosier said:

I don’t disagree at all. I just think since Purdue runs a lot of their offensive game through Edey, Clingan will be pushed around more than he is used to. I love UConn and Hurley, they are one of my favorites to watch outside of IU. Just comparatively, on what I’ve watched thus far in the tournament, Purdue ain’t messing around. 

It would be a good game! I think UConn will have their hands full with UConn today and don't think Bama will be an easy out either (assuming they beat Clemson). Rooting hard for Tennessee. I think Duke will beat NC State... shame about Houston's leader going down in the first half. That might have been the best bet at stopping PU from getting to the title game. Don't think it's a given though... love March Madness! 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We definitely don’t agree, but we may agree that why have any rules would be a great question for the NCAA. If the governing body that created the rules doesn’t care about enforcing them, why should I? The landscape is all disjointed with NIL now, but before then players were receiving all kinds of improper benefits, the NCAA 100% knew, and the NCAA looked the other way. It wasn’t in the NCAA’s interest to crack down. A football program as dominant as Alabama or basketball programs like Duke, Kansas, UK, UNC, etc. are good for their sports. 

IU wasn’t exactly clean under Bob Knight. But for whatever reason the post-Knight IU administration was looking for an excuse to tank the program. 

Look at the schools in this year’s elite eight. Illinois, UConn, Clemson, Alabama, Tennessee, Purdue, NC State, and Duke. How many of them have clean histories? 

Care to elaborate on what wasn’t clean under Knight?

24 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

The goalposts never moved to thugs and drug dealers. They were always there. Sampson recruited guys with sketchy backgrounds and did nothing to monitor, police, or otherwise correct the problems. These didn't just crop up once he was let go.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Crean had guys running over each other in cars but you know Sampson was bad….

5 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

Telling players where they could go to get free stuff, hooking them up with jobs, etc. 

That's just what I've seen referenced on this board before, don't have specific examples. Before my time... very sadly...

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

Telling players where they could go to get free stuff, hooking them up with jobs, etc. 

That's just what I've seen referenced on this board before, don't have specific examples. Before my time... very sadly...

A story I was told from a Cook employee about the IU player's summer jobs surprised me. I was told this story while RMK was still coaching at IU. I will not go into detail but it was the exact same situation that a University of Washington QB, Bill Joe Hobert was busted for. He had other major violations but the summer job deal was identical to the story I heard. UW fired their FB coach over it, was put on NCAA probation and it took over a decade for UW football to recover.

12 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

There was some discussion about it on here a few months ago. I don’t remember the exact posts, but the essence from what I remember was that players knew where to go around town for ‘benefits’, summer ‘jobs’, etc. 

1 hour ago, IH8PU said:

Same thing happened to the same player last year in the tourney and the results were the same. A loss.

Gotta feel bad for the kid. 

On the one hand, I feel like Houston may have been the best bet to stop PU getting to the chip. On the other hand, Duke probably has more raw talent... so if they can beat NC State, and if PU gets past Tennessee (Knecht may drop 30-40 lol), Duke may have a better shot. 

Man I don't want to see them even get the chance. 

26 minutes ago, FortWayneHoosier said:

Last night's PUke game ... the general fan will look at total fouls of each team to see if it was fair. The problem was Gonzaga had two bigs in early foul trouble and were headed to the bench for the rest of the half. PUkes, no foul trouble. By the tend of the game Gonzaga had two bigs foul out and a third with 3 fouls. Gonzaga's front line was called for 13 fouls, starting front line ... Edey played 38 minutes and only had 2 fouls called on him. Many were missed. Plus I hate when officials smile while holding a conversation with a coach, any coach, during a game.