Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuhoo

Mike Woodson

Holding a program hostage?  What's the alternative?  Let's hire a coach that might be great or horrible, but if he's bad we'll just get rid of him in a few years.  I always preferred the two or three and done rule. 

Regardless, it's a slippery slope and I'm not willing to play on it.  If things aren't handled carefully and correctly we could lose ever more credibility and sink further into mediocrity.  Be careful what you wish for. 

Wait a minute. Just hold on. We have players transferring out every year. Rumors about more this year. Keeping Crean gives the program stability? I'm not so sure about that.

That's a big part of the stability I want to see moving forward.  I can understand if you recruit the best possible talent and they choose to leave after one year.  (as long as we don't have a team full of them)  I also don't believe the program is at the level some think it is or it should be.  We are just not there yet. 

I know this may not be the popular answer, but I would like to see Crean get one more year.  I think he deserves that..  He brought us back from the dead.  We were number 1 for most of last year and we won the BIG outright.  I am not happy with how our season ended, but I would like to see JBJ, Yogi, Troy, and Noah on the court together.  If Crean is gone, JBJ will be at UK, Troy will transfer, and Noah will most certainly leave. I really like these kids!  If we suck with them, than yes it is time for Crean to go.

I am no fan of Crean but inclined to agree with you giving him one more year. It puts a period at the end of his tenure here and probably sets us up for a better long term fit as coach. Another long year of the NBA season may make Stevens ready to leave Boston and I don't think he bales this year. Unless the Mrs is really unhappy. Stevens has to be option 1A and 1B and I think the negotiations would consist over months not weeks. With the long line of coaches we have now had following Knight, why would we settle for anything else?

I'm inclined to just lock and delete this entire thread. We might as well start a thread about Bobby being out coach next year... That has the same chance as Crean not coaching us next year.

This was a dumb "report" that served it's purpose 1000000%. It got attention and it got that newspaper a TON of hits. People in the media aren't stupid.... Post crazy IU article, let IU fans I Crazy, let other channels pick up their article... Some Hoosiers on the other hand...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Personally, I'm embarrassed that on very IU board I go on, Crean supporters say they are embarrassed because of what other people say or do. Do you all get this line in a memo or something? Does Laf send it out every morning?

I'm inclined to just lock and delete this entire thread. We might as well start a thread about Bobby being out coach next year... That has the same chance as Crean not coaching us next year. This was a dumb "report" that served it's purpose 1000000%. It got attention and it got that newspaper a TON of hits. People in the media aren't stupid.... Post crazy IU article, let IU fans I Crazy, let other channels pick up their article... Some Hoosiers on the other hand...Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There will just be another thread...and another one...and another...on and on. Why lock the inevitable?

[quote name="Rayl" post="47764" timestamp="1394853426"]There will just be another thread...and another one...and another...on and on. Why lock the inevitable?[/quote]

Not going to lock the thread, was just saying that I should since it's a ridiculous idea. I'm not allowed to lock and unlock threads... Just ask Jaybob!

[quote name="KingPG21" post="47661" timestamp="1394838251"]You want us to fire Crean so we can hire a guy who can't even get to the playoffs in the pathetic Eastern Conference this year........ makes sense. Sorry, Woodson isn't that good of a coach, never has been, he is solid, but not nearly as good as some are making him out to be[/quote]

So, let me get this straight. You would rather have a coach who can't get past the sweet 16 a year ago with 4 1,000 point scorers including two lottery picks. And failed to prove himself again this year by maybe not even being in the NIT with a lottery pick and two players that played on the world university team over the summer. Woodson on the other hand has Carmelo and thats it, like Pablo Prigioni and Raymond Felton is not gonna do you much. Woodson also lead the Hawks to the playoffs for several years before he took the Knicks job. If Crean is fired this year (highly unlikely) and Woodson gets the boot too (almost a given) than Woodson would be the best coach on the market hands down.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

That's a big part of the stability I want to see moving forward.  I can understand if you recruit the best possible talent and they choose to leave after one year.  (as long as we don't have a team full of them)  I also don't believe the program is at the level some think it is or it should be.  We are just not there yet. 

If we accept mediocrity just to avoid making a change, we'll never get there.  To get there we have to hold ourselves to that standard and measure ourselves by that.

Personally, I'm embarrassed that on very IU board I go on, Crean supporters say they are embarrassed because of what other people say or do. Do you all get this line in a memo or something? Does Laf send it out every morning?

Probably too busy spit shining Crean's Sweet 16 ring.

Not going to lock the thread, was just saying that I should since it's a ridiculous idea. I'm not allowed to lock and unlock threads... Just ask Jaybob!

Somewhere, I see Jaybob sitting back in his rocker on dial up saying, "that's right city boy…"  

Haven't really put my two cents in.  I am sure there are feelers out there to see whom is available and all that.  Beyond that, I would be very surprised to see Crean leave this year.  Just don't think there is a coach with a good name out there IU can get.  Lets face it.  After this experiment, if IU was to make a change it is for a proven commodity we will strongly overpay.  If you have to pay $10 million for a buyout at any point, it is going to be for a top 5 coach.  Not Woodson.  IMO

Haven't really put my two cents in.  I am sure there are feelers out there to see whom is available and all that.  Beyond that, I would be very surprised to see Crean leave this year.  Just don't think there is a coach with a good name out there IU can get.  Lets face it.  After this experiment, if IU was to make a change it is for a proven commodity we will strongly overpay.  If you have to pay $10 million for a buyout at any point, it is going to be for a top 5 coach.  Not Woodson.  IMO

Agree!

Pretty sure you would be surprised of my thoughts on his coaching. He is nowhere perfect and has a ton of flaws. I'm just not the type to go on a message board and proclaim him as the worst to ever have a big time job when it does absolutely nothing. He has earned more time.

Sent from my sarcastic iPhone using BrownBanners

Throughout my life, Indiana has been pretty bad. I'm tired of losing and a change may be needed, but not at this exact moment. Certainly not time for a change if the best we could do is a Mike Woodson or Jim Crews.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I can't stand Laf at all so I hope you aren't trying to take my comments and paint me with same brush.  Based on my past experience he is 10 times more annoying than the most ardent anti-Crean message board poster.  I never feel embarrassed by what people choose to discuss on a sports message board.  I don't care if you like Crean or hate Crean, this kind of thing getting national press feels embarrassing.  This isn't about message boards. 

Pretty sure you would be surprised of my thoughts on his coaching. He is nowhere perfect and has a ton of flaws. I'm just not the type to go on a message board and proclaim him as the worst to ever have a big time job when it does absolutely nothing. He has earned more time.

Sent from my sarcastic iPhone using BrownBanners

Make no mistake, I'm not saying he should be fired this year.  However, if next year isn't a drastic improvement (no not just making the tournament) his seat should be hot IMO.

All I've meant in this thread is that if this report is true, and it very well may not be, we shouldn't be surprised.  He's paid a lot of money and has a buyout reflective of a top coach, we should expect the results that go along with that.  We should expect a tournament appearance bare minimum every year, no excuse not to make a 68 team field.  I also don't think we should accept sub standard coaching just to avoid making a change if it comes down to that.