Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuhoo

Mike Woodson

........ So instead we should just stick with the same guy even if nothing changes? Mediocrity should never been seen as acceptable, and if nothing changes that is what we are settling for

But the stability!  That's more important than actually having a good coach.

We should've kept Mike Davis, hey stability is all that matters.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="47710" timestamp="1394845885"]But the stability! That's more important than actually having a good coach.

We should've kept Mike Davis, hey stability is all that matters.[/quote]

I just want an excellent in game coach. Indiana recruits itself.

[quote name="HoosierAloha" post="47714" timestamp="1394846299"]How has the program done with switching coaches out? It seems to be doing great... We should just stick with changing coaches.[/quote]

Or we could stop hiring the mediocre ones.. Just a thought. Blue shirt guy was an exceptional coach just couldn't stay off the phones.

Or we could stop hiring the mediocre ones.. Just a thought. Blue shirt guy was an exceptional coach just couldn't stay off the phones.

that, and he didn't care that his team was skipping class and high as Mt Everest...

for the record, I don't think Woodson would be the right guy to replace Crean.

[quote name="ou812dude" post="47719" timestamp="1394846699"]that, and he didn't care that his team was skipping class and high as Mt Everest...

for the record, I don't think Woodson would be the right guy to replace Crean.[/quote]

Honestly I don't think he is either. There are better options.

But, but he was a good in game coach!

Not really. He has a decent enough scheme, but he isn't really very good at in game decision making, or more accurately inter series decision making in the NBA. Not a fan of the idea of hiring him.

[quote name="KingPG21" post="47728" timestamp="1394847367"]Not really. He has a decent enough scheme, but he isn't really very good at in game decision making, or more accurately inter series decision making in the NBA. Not a fan of the idea of hiring him.[/quote]

I think he was sarcastically talking about Sampson.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

While we're on the topic of good/bad coaches. I'm watching the UConn game and wishing we could get a guy like Kevin Ollie if/when the time comes. Young, energetic, knows how to coach the game. That's the type of guy a fanbase could get behind. We obviously won't get Ollie, but that would be a great hire in a hypothetical world. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

But, but he was a good in game coach!

He was, he just couldn't run a program and that's why he's gone.  Mike Davis is gone because he wasn't a good coach.  Crean isn't a particularly good coach, he's good at certain aspects mediocre at others and I'd say he's flat abysmal in some ways (adapting to his team).

He needs to actually hold himself accountable and work to improve, and I don't just mean saying "I need to do better" and then not do a darn thing different.  I'm sick of the same old politician speak and always looking to place blame on others and make excuses like "the bench was too quiet" or "they need to learn to play with intent" whatever that is supposed to mean.  I want him to succeed here, I do, but the level he's at now I don't think that will happen.

Stability is important, but at the same time we shouldn't be willing to accept sub par coaching just for the sake of stability.  If you do you're essentially letting the coach hold the program hostage because you're afraid to make a change, and that will not be good for the program.  Being stable with a mediocre coach won't breed the kind of success we should look for here, it will just mean mediocre results.  If stability was all we need, we should've kept Mike Davis.

While we're on the topic of good/bad coaches. I'm watching the UConn game and wishing we could get a guy like Kevin Ollie if/when the time comes. Young, energetic, knows how to coach the game. That's the type of guy a fanbase could get behind. We obviously won't get Ollie, but that would be a great hire in a hypothetical world. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He is a pretty good example of a guy who limited head coaching experience, in his case no head coaching experience if I remember correctly, working out. I wouldn't be opposed to us trying a young guy like him and giving him a chance. 

[quote name="Hovadipo" post="47732" timestamp="1394847779"]While we're on the topic of good/bad coaches. I'm watching the UConn game and wishing we could get a guy like Kevin Ollie if/when the time comes. Young, energetic, knows how to coach the game. That's the type of guy a fanbase could get behind. We obviously won't get Ollie, but that would be a great hire in a hypothetical world. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

I really like that guy.

[quote name="KingPG21" post="47735" timestamp="1394848225"]He is a pretty good example of a guy who limited head coaching experience, in his case no head coaching experience if I remember correctly, working out. I wouldn't be opposed to us trying a young guy like him and giving him a chance. [/quote] I'm not sure what he did between the NBA and UConn, but he wasn't a head coach anywhere to my knowledge. Since IU is out I'm rooting for them the rest of the way. I love how Ollie coaches and Shabazz is probably my favorite player in the country to watch. Edit: To your last point...give it about 8 years and let Will and Jordy come back as a coaching duo lol. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm probably going to get some kind of backlash for this but what the hell, it's Friday night...

I was reading an article on Brad Stevens the other day, and he was recalling his childhood as an avid
Hoosier fan, and attending the game that Bob Knight threw the chair...
and he went on to explain that as a child he would mimic Knight as best he could, and longed to replace
BK at Indiana...

of course that never happened, and he even managed to find his own style of successful coaching
that is pretty much the opposite of Knight's style...

I don't know how Indiana managed to not open the door to this guy years ago, and I know hindsight is
20/20, but man, how much different things would be today if Brad was at the
helm at IU.

I'm not sure what he did between the NBA and UConn, but he wasn't a head coach anywhere to my knowledge. Since IU is out I'm rooting for them the rest of the way. I love how Ollie coaches and Shabazz is probably my favorite player in the country to watch.

From what I researched he actually jumped immediately to being an assistant on Calhoun's staff following his retirement from the NBA. Think he was pegged and "groomed" to eventually replace Calhoun. Don't know if it was right after being hired or how that ended up going down

[quote name="ou812dude" post="47738" timestamp="1394848435"]I'm probably going to get some kind of backlash for this but what the hell, it's Friday night...

I was reading an article on Brad Stevens the other day, and he was recalling his childhood as an avid
Hoosier fan, and attending the game that Bob Knight threw the chair...
and he went on to explain that as a child he would mimic Knight as best he could, and longed to replace
BK at Indiana...

of course that never happened, and he even managed to find his own style of successful coaching
that is pretty much the opposite of Knight's style...

I don't know how Indiana managed to not open the door to this guy years ago, and I know hindsight is
20/20, but man, how much different things would be today if Brad was at the
helm at IU.[/quote]

I've wanted him at IU for awhile and idk how possible it is with him in a new deal with the celtics but we gotta also remember when we hired crean stevens was still a nobody this was also before his title game runs

[quote name="KingPG21" post="47740" timestamp="1394848566"]From what I researched he actually jumped immediately to being an assistant on Calhoun's staff following his retirement from the NBA. Think he was pegged and "groomed" to eventually replace Calhoun. Don't know if it was right after being hired or how that ended up going down[/quote]

Whatever they did, they did it right. He is still playing with Calhoun's guys for the most part, but nothing tells me he won't be just fine with his own in a few years.