Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Probably need tempered expectations on that -- people calling for one of the top ten unsigned portal centers are off base as you aren't going to see a guy like that come to be a back up.  IMO, guys like Justice Aghobar (Harvard) and Moussa Cisse (Mississippi) would represent the absolute ceiling of what you could get to be a back up.  That said, I like the Malone kid just not sure how his game will translate.....but he's intriguing.

Malone is intriguing to me since he is such a change of pace from Ballo. But I would be content with a fairly generic 6'9"-6'11" guy that is a competent defender that can rebound a little and dunk if the opportunity arises in 12-15mpg. I'm not expecting anyone to compete with Ballo for the starting job, just hold down the fort and don't get torched when he's in the game. 

2 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Malone is intriguing to me since he is such a change of pace from Ballo. But I would be content with a fairly generic 6'9"-6'11" guy that is a competent defender that can rebound a little and dunk if the opportunity arises in 12-15mpg. I'm not expecting anyone to compete with Ballo for the starting job, just hold down the fort and don't get torched when he's in the game. 

I am curious to see how the guy we ultimately sign compares with Payton Sparks.

15 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Probably need tempered expectations on that -- people calling for one of the top ten unsigned portal centers are off base as you aren't going to see a guy like that come to be a back up.  IMO, guys like Justice Aghobar (Harvard) and Moussa Cisse (Mississippi) would represent the absolute ceiling of what you could get to be a back up.  That said, I like the Malone kid just not sure how his game will translate.....but he's intriguing.

Realistically maybe they could make a run at one of the other post players like the guys from Creighton, USC or Nevada. Or maybe the guy from (iirc) Weber State.

3 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Thanks all for the replies. I am in then. Just thought some of the posts I was reading was like he was going to be a major impact player and I wasn't seeing it lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

At this point it’s all role players from here on out. Indiana has its top 7 kids. There’s going to be some players out of the rotation come February. 

8 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Why do we want goode so bad? He averaged lees than 6 per game?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Because he would be an experienced bench guy with a skill we have lacked for years.  I have been down on Woodson but will extend some meager credit for finally figuring out how to build a roster after collecting a check for 3 years.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Because he would be an experienced bench guy with a skill we have lacked for years.  I have been down on Woodson but will extend some meager credit for finally figuring out how to build a roster after collecting a check for 3 years.

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. Chances are we hear this offseason how our “2nd unit is as good as our 1st unit” or some similar garbage that leads to a platoon system to start the year again.

I do like the Goode pickup, think he fills a real need from a roster construction perspective, I’ll just still lack confidence that any shooter will be utilized correctly until Woodson proves he can adapt accordingly.

My expectation is that Goode comes in and sits in the corner for 80%+ of plays and hopes to get the ball, similar to how we used Kopp.

Edited by Juwan Moye

15 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. Chances are we hear this offseason how our “2nd unit is as good as our 1st unit” or some similar garbage that leads to a platoon system to start the year again.

I do like the Goode pickup, think he fills a real need from a roster construction perspective, I’ll just still lack confidence that any shooter will be utilized correctly until Woodson proves he can adapt accordingly.

My expectation is that Goode comes in and sits in the corner for 80%+ of plays and hopes to get the ball, similar to how we used Kopp.

I remember a SIGNIFICANT portion of this fanbase wanting Kopp benched for Trey Galloway during Miller's first year here.  

The alleged "platoon" system, lord even that word is over the top, is crazy overblown.  

But uhhh can we just talk about the portal? These talks are pretty played out. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I remember a SIGNIFICANT portion of this fanbase wanting Kopp benched for Trey Galloway during Miller's first year here.  

The alleged "platoon" system, lord even that word is over the top, is crazy overblown.  

.....so why does the supposed Goode "commitment" being pushed around by some? It's still not officially, official yet that I can see...lol

Still waiting on making the video? lol

3 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

.....so why does the supposed Goode "commitment" being pushed around by some? It's still not officially, official yet that I can see...lol

Still waiting on making the video? lol

There is a national analyst prediction, unlike others. 

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is talking about a potential transfer commit and how they’ll be used. You can feel something is “overblown”, doesn’t matter to me, it’s just what happened at the start of last year and caused way more issues than it needed to. I’d explain the issues it causes but this isn’t the thread for it.

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Yup. It ain’t over til it’s over. 

Jamie Shaw isn’t perfect by any means but he pretty quickly put that crystal ball in after he announced. Obviously nothing is 100% but this one feels pretty much done and it looks like a good fit for both sides.

So, what did happen with Zach Anderson? He said no? We said no? We mutually agreed to say no? Once Goode became available, we moved on? Sorry if something was posted about this — if so, I missed it.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

So, what did happen with Zach Anderson? He said no? We said no? We mutually agreed to say no? Once Goode became available, we moved on? Sorry if something was posted about this — if so, I missed it.

Chris said he wanted a bigger role than what we were offering.

36 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Illinois went 7-3 in the ten career games Goode played 25 or more minutes, and two of the three losses are @ #1 PU this year and the E8 blowout L to UConn.

That’s a high-floor piece to have as your ~7th guy.

Wait, so he’s Anthony Leal?  :)