Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

5 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

You know, I’d love Gallo off the bench, think he’d thrive, could destroy other teams’ second units, but — I’ll be surprised if Woodson takes a key vet like Gallo off the bench. Hope you’re right

Our ceiling with Gallo off the bench is much, much higher IMO. Gallo has been paid, and he has been here for a while, I would suspect he is more interested in a B1G title and deep March run versus who starts. He is going to get a boatload of minutes regardless. Our bench was the biggest issue last year even beyond the system. The drop off with even two bench pieces in was stark (AC talked about this via the numbers not too long ago), and what I envision here is much more 3 guard lineups. Whether Gallo or Tucker at the 3. Ballo probably doesnt project as a Ware level guy from a minutes perspective which leads me to think we will see way more small ball with MM at the 4 and either Ballo/MR at 5. Even without adding a couple more complimentary pieces, the current roster has so much more versatility on paper than last season. 

7 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

You know, I’d love Gallo off the bench, think he’d thrive, could destroy other teams’ second units, but — I’ll be surprised if Woodson takes a key vet like Gallo off the bench. Hope you’re right

Yep.  It would require Woodson to change.  Woodson likes senior vets.  He’s said it too many times to count.  I doubt Gallo comes off the bench.  

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Change….like bringing in guards through the portal?  He did that.

Yeah I'm confused by the point trying to be made. 

The starting lineup has never been an issue. I'd be pretty surpised if Carlyle doesn't start, but either way, we'll start our best 5. 

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Yep.  It would require Woodson to change.  Woodson likes senior vets.  He’s said it too many times to count.  I doubt Gallo comes off the bench.  

I agree, while in principle I think Woody likes vets over younger players. But he also seems to like NBA talent over college vets. Carlyle is an NBA talent and Galloway is not. It’s why I think Galloway comes off the bench and it’s a role he is better suited for.  

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The starting lineup has never been an issue. I'd be pretty surpised if Carlyle doesn't start, but either way, we'll start our best 5. 

I’d change that to “we’ll start our most talented 5” as I think our “best 5” wouldn’t include Malik playing next to Ballo.

Id expect our “best 5” to be Rice, Carlyle, Galloway, Mgbako, Ballo. That’s at least the most balanced lineup this amateurs eyes can see. Could change if Malik becomes a better shooter/perimeter defender or if Tucker comes on strong.

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Two things to add here:

1. Pretty sure I recall someone connected saying in Feb/March that Gallo had gone to the staff and said something like “I’m staying, I’ll be the 6th man if that’s what’s best, just go get Dudes.” Of course I can’t find that now, and can’t independently verify it, but that seems plausible (as does an inversion of that condo — coach tells senior “you’ll play plenty but as a gap filler”)

2. Gallo’s soph year — CMW’s first — is good proof of concept here, and was the design in ‘22-23 too until X’s injury forced their hand. 

58 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I while in principle I think Woody likes vets over younger players. But he also seems to like NBA talent over college vets. Carlyle is an NBA talent and Galloway is not. It’s why I think Galloway comes off the bench and it’s a role he is better suited for.  

But Woody loves Galloway and has played him a ton all three years, including over more talented guys.

18 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Two things to add here:

1. Pretty sure I recall someone connected saying in Feb/March that Gallo had gone to the staff and said something like “I’m staying, I’ll be the 6th man if that’s what’s best, just go get Dudes.” Of course I can’t find that now, and can’t independently verify it, but that seems plausible (as does an inversion of that condo — coach tells senior “you’ll play plenty but as a gap filler”)

2. Gallo’s soph year — CMW’s first — is good proof of concept here, and was the design in ‘22-23 too until X’s injury forced their hand. 

Exactly my thoughts, Gallo is an excellent complimentary piece to a good/great team. He is not a guy we should be needing to rely on for nearly 34 minutes a game due to zero other good options at the 2/3 or as a primary ball handler. That problem seems to have been solved. I would venture a bet his 3pt and FT shooting improves back closer to 30 and 60+ respectively with better looks and simply getting more rest while having less pressure to carry the load when MR/MM were on the bench. Woody has already hit the homerun we had to have, now if we can find a serviceable backup big and good shooter to fill out the bench it will be a grand slam in my eyes. 

No matter what, Trey is getting 20-25 minutes a game. I believe he is the perfect 6th man. I can see him being Sixth Man of the Year like Sheehey and Bielfeldt. 

Speaking of Bielfeldt...I wish we could have a clone of him and Zeisloft for this team. They would fit perfectly with what is left. 

1 hour ago, Juwan Moye said:

I’d change that to “we’ll start our most talented 5” as I think our “best 5” wouldn’t include Malik playing next to Ballo.

Id expect our “best 5” to be Rice, Carlyle, Galloway, Mgbako, Ballo. That’s at least the most balanced lineup this amateurs eyes can see. Could change if Malik becomes a better shooter/perimeter defender or if Tucker comes on strong.

Maliks a stud. He wouldn't come off the bench for me. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He brought guards through the portal in year one.  Tried in year two. 

41 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Two things to add here:

No no. You can't believe "positive" rumors. Only the negative ones ;) 

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

But Woody loves Galloway and has played him a ton all three years, including over more talented guys.

Over more talented guys?

The only possible guy you could be talking about is Tamar Bates and both years he was here Galloway wasn't playing over him because 'Woody loved him' -- he played over him because he outplayed Bates.  And if you check the numbers out of the gate, Bates began his freshman year getting more minutes than Galloway.  Galloway started playing over Bates because Bates wasn't making shots.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Really it’s over higher rated players. Gallo is plenty talented.

Bates would really be the only guy you could be referring to.  Galloway was around 150, Gunn was 120.  But a 150 player two years older than a 120 freshman almost always plays over the freshman.  And Galloway's minutes didn't come from nowhere.....he was getting 20 minutes/game as a freshman prior to Woodson being at IU.

45 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Two things to add here:

Things that didn’t happen for 1000 Alex.

I know it was reported, but know way any player says don’t start me.  They may have had a conversation about his role, but I doubt Gallo was like, yeah sit me on the bench.