Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU recruiting is so weird right now.  lol.   Going to get 3 out of state top 10 or at least top 20 transfers and an out of state 5 star freshman but can’t land an in state shooter. Crazy you would have think that would be flipped 

You'd think...

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Sounds like CE to Nebraska according to Trilly 

Could be a good spot for him.  I'm surprised he went that far from home.  Michigan must not have offered him much either.  

Conwell to Xavier seems like a good fit for him.  Glad he is out of the B1G. Under different circumstances I would have liked to see both at IU. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Kinda hard to sell bench mins so i get it, we’ll find some depth tho im not worried 

That’s part of my concern for Woody’s recruiting pitch. When you target bench guys you get bench guys with less talent.  Let’s say he goes hard for TJ Power as a player with starter potential. Maybe he earns it, maybe he doesn’t.  

but when you are trying to recruit guys happy to be Bench guys you are severely capping your talent on the team.  He needs to find a way to figure this out. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Kinda hard to sell bench mins so i get it, we’ll find some depth tho im not worried 

I don't think we need depth at guard.  Backup F/C sure.  But I can't imagine anyone wanting guaranteed time at guard would sign up.  At a minimum you have to beat out Cupps and maybe Newton for just table scraps.  I know most on here don't think much of Cupps, but most guys coming in, and the people advisingthem, at the very least see a freshman who was a capable backup and part time starter last year.  Thinking you have to beat out that guy for about 5min a game is a tough sell.  Seeing you have to beat out Galloway and IU's newest 5* wing for any real mins off the bench has to be a deterrent. 

36 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I don't think we need depth at guard.  Backup F/C sure.  But I can't imagine anyone wanting guaranteed time at guard would sign up.  At a minimum you have to beat out Cupps and maybe Newton for just table scraps.  I know most on here don't think much of Cupps, but most guys coming in, and the people, at the very least see a freshman who was a capable backup and part time starter last year.  Thinking you have to beat out that guy for about 5min a game is a tough sell.  Seeing you have to beat out Galloway and IU's newest 5* wing for any real mins off the bench has to be a deterrent. 

agreed....I don't think there is much talent at guard that would willingly walk into this melee of minutes. Gallo, Rice, Tucker, Carlyle are all going to be hard to beat for minutes. 

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Not broken up about it honestly. He's a question mark at IU. Nebraska not so much. 

He would be the best shooter on the team.   Guess he will light up Indiana under Hoiberg system.  At least he will have  a better coach and program currently.  

10 minutes ago, Iu1973 said:

He would be the best shooter on the team.   Guess he will light up Indiana under Hoiberg system.  At least he will have  a better coach and program currently.  

I like Essegian -- loved his potential after his freshman season -- but I think considering him a knock down shooter is overstating what he's done.  Through two seasons he's made 34.5% of his threes.  If you ask me if I'd rather have a guy who has shot a volume of threes his freshman year and shot 32 or 33% or one who's at 34.5% after two seasons, I'd take the freshman.  Mgbako was at 32.7%, Carlyle was at 32.0%.

1 hour ago, Iu1973 said:

He’s likely the worst defender in the entire B10, and not joking either. I don’t know if he’ll even see the floor enough at Nebraska to light anybody up. Nebraska lost a lot in the backcourt this offseason so the avenue to immediate playing time is cleared there, but he was going to struggle to get minutes here next year.

13 hours ago, Iu1973 said:

To him it's probably not worth being the best shooter on the team if he's getting 15 minutes a game (at best), which is the situation he just left. The upside for us is he'll have to play defense against a more dynamic backcourt.