Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

Just now, Trish said:

Jesus. Well I suppose I’m not too shocked. Interesting better programs didn’t offer him money like Indiana did. The starting lineup for Indiana next season is looking expensive. Not to mention whatever money it took to land Tucker, who I assume will come off the bench. 

They had $6M .... spend it all

30 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

He better be playing over 30 min if 1.2 million is what it takes to get him.  Trilly said Ole Miss offered 1 mil and IU upped it to 1.2 

That's just plain stupid.  Yes, I know that's what the college landscape is these days but it's still just plain stupid.

Not trying to rain on the Conwell parade but from another board, it sounds like our staff has really been working to get Conwell on campus but can't get a date pinned down.  Is the hesitancy to set a date on Conwell's part or is it truly just a calendar issue?  Don't know the answer but to me if he was that interested in IU he'd be anxious to get on campus for an OV and would find a date on the calendar.  

Just now, Trish said:

Jesus. Well I suppose I’m not too shocked. Interesting better programs didn’t offer him money like Indiana did. The starting lineup for Indiana next season is looking expensive. Not to mention whatever money it took to land Tucker, who I assume will come off the bench. 

But Beard offered him 1 mil and as you know a lot on here thinks he is the best coach out there or one of them.  

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

The point of the portal is you can recruit to actual performance and not projection.  With a young Rice, there is no reason not to look at a more seasoned player who is light out from three.  

Just can’t imagine a world where an IU fan thinks turning down a 1st team PG from a P5 conference is the right move. It blows my mind actually. 

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

Fair. But with that being said I’m really looking forward to a back court of Rice and Carlyle on the expectation that they grow. Most dynamic back court duo of Woodson’s tenure. One thing for sure, we’ll know after this year if it’s Woodson system or lack of personnel.

Assuming Ballo does indeed commit to Indiana this upcoming week, I’d imagine we’re going to see the same system fans have seen the last 4 years. Inside-Out. 

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

That's just plain stupid.  Yes, I know that's what the college landscape is these days but it's still just plain stupid.

Not trying to rain on the Conwell parade but from another board, it sounds like our staff has really been working to get Conwell on campus but can't get a date pinned down.  Is the hesitancy to set a date on Conwell's part or is it truly just a calendar issue?  Don't know the answer but to me if he was that interested in IU he'd be anxious to get on campus for an OV and would find a date on the calendar.  

IMO he is looking to see what IU does this weekend for guards. No matter how competitive he is, he may want something a little more sure that he is one of the main guards. Someone said that the staff was following him on Instagram but none of the players, like they are for Carlyle. IMO he will be at NC State next year.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

But Beard offered him 1 mil and as you know a lot on here thinks he is the best coach out there or one of them.  

He’s likely worth that in today’s market. I imagine there’s still a couple million available. 

1 minute ago, Trish said:

Assuming Ballo does indeed commit to Indiana this upcoming week, I’d imagine we’re going to see the same system fans have seen the last 4 years. Inside-Out. 

Give me inside-out with competent guards all day long. Another poster who doesn’t understand what inside-out means. But that’s ok, I’ve come to expect it from a select few.

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

You end up like Purdue with a team of guys who can only shoot well and nothing else though. UConn exposed the hell out of them. Rice is a fantastic pick up. You can still think we need more shooting. But getting a building block player, 1st team all conference and freshman of the year... I'll take that talent and bet on him to have good improvement next year 

Which is why you look for a player to compliment him.  As Cig says, you're looking for multiplication, rather than addition. 

How soon do we get the Ballo announcement of committing?? With $1.2M he should be almost finished signing paperwork for that new top Mercedes that will need customization. I want to see a commitment announcement before my Reds game at 1:10pm CT :)

Just now, AH1971 said:

Another poster who doesn’t understand what inside-out means. But that’s ok, I’ve come to expect it from a select few.

Unnecessary added words to the overall point you were trying to make which was a nice assessment of the guard situation last year 

Just now, AH1971 said:

Give me inside-out with competent guards all day long. Another poster who doesn’t understand what inside-out means. But that’s ok, I’ve come to expect it from a select few.

Now this is funny! 

Rice is an upgrade from Johnson and Cupps. We’ll see exactly how the guards are utilized with Malik and Ballo taking up the majority of the possessions. 

7 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Just can’t imagine a world where an IU fan thinks turning down a 1st team PG from a P5 conference is the right move. It blows my mind actually. 

Because they both can't hold the ball at the same time.  IU desperately needs a kid that can shoot them back into a game.  

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

Now this is funny! 

Rice is an upgrade from Johnson and Cupps. We’ll see exactly how the guards are utilized with Malik and Ballo taking up the majority of the possessions. 

If they prove to be any good we’ll have quite the offense.

7 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

You may want to find out from Woodson what "inside-out" means because he sucks at it.  

16 minutes ago, IH8PU said:

No chance of that happening.

I don’t know anything, but if supposedly Rice and Carlyle were done deals for a week or so, it seems unlikely to be hosting Hickman and trying to get a Conwell visit, if they didn’t want another guard.

35 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I'm not as optimistic as some of you.  In the game today, I assume all players negotiate dollars and roles. Tucker was a 5-star, one and done player going to the G-league.  Unless money is his only priority, I can't see him coming to a losing team that missed the Tournament without being promised significant minutes or a starting role.  I'm sure that Cupps was told his minutes would be reduced from this year, but I would have to assume he was told 4-5 minutes per half at least.  If not, why would he return?  Leal was a solid contributor defensively during our 5 game win streak.  I have to believe that Leal was offered similar minutes to return as well. 

Tuckers dad, verbatim, this week, said one and done is NOT their set in stone route. Just watching him, regardless of people thinking he should be a MCDAA, doesn't show "sure fire Pw5 starter on a good team from Day 1". IMO significant mins is 12-18 mins a night on a good PW5 team. 

I assume Gabe Cupps wasn't told a thing about the exact mins he'd play next year, there's zero chance in knowing that 8 months away. I doubt Leal was spoken to at all about any guaranteed mins. 

Just now, Golfman25 said:

You may want to find out from Woodson what "inside-out" means because he sucks at it.  

The “out” version is reflected when you have guards who can’t make shots. But you knew that already.